Is there some sort of limitation with devices, including the PB, that prevents a manufacturer from decreasing the border size?

I'm not in this field so I don't know. But it seems like there's allot of margin on my PB and BB that could be used for greater screen real estate.

That, or make the size of the PB slightly smaller, by minimize the bezel border a bit and it would fit into my sports jackets.

I guess I would like to see it both ways: screen stays exactly the same and bezel area shrinks by 50% thus making PB slightly smaller - or - keeping the PB exactly the same physical size, but make the screen larger into the bezel area. Same with my BB.

Maybe I just don't understand the technology...
    04-10-12 10:17 PM
    Is there some sort of limitation with devices, including the PB, that prevents a manufacturer from decreasing the border size?

I'm not in this field so I don't know. But it seems like there's allot of margin on my PB and BB that could be used for greater screen real estate.

That, or make the size of the PB slightly smaller, by minimize the bezel border a bit and it would fit into my sports jackets.

I guess I would like to see it both ways: screen stays exactly the same and bezel area shrinks by 50% thus making PB slightly smaller - or - keeping the PB exactly the same physical size, but make the screen larger into the bezel area. Same with my BB.

The idea behind the bezel is that you avoid accidental tapping on the screen while holding the device, especially with one hand.
    04-10-12 10:49 PM
    I'm looking for a 10" screen on a 7" device.

I'm looking forward to the day when the device projects the screen onto your retina so you don't need a screen at all. 8D
    04-10-12 10:55 PM

I'm looking forward to the day when the device projects the screen onto your retina so you don't need a screen at all. 8D
    Google Project Glass?
    04-10-12 10:58 PM

Can't have it on PB, as we need sufficient bezel area for bezel gestures.

Of course, that would be nice. Again the bezel gesture wouldn't be efficient without the border, and smaller overall size means battery life will suffer (due to having smaller battery).

Perhaps they can do this in the future version, make it slightly smaller without affecting bezel actions or loss of battery life. A lot of phones are designed with little to no borders to maximize screen real estate.
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    04-10-12 11:14 PM

I am waiting for a device that I can implant inside my brain. I can surf the net by just thinking and imagining... I can watch youtube or whatever online video so vividly and realistic as if I am dreaming...

- Charles
    04-10-12 11:55 PM
    they should extend the screen to the top and to the bottom. people (with big enough hands) can palm the playbook in portrait and when they hold it in landscape, they can hold the remaining side bezels.

it would screw up the aspect ratio though
    04-11-12 12:17 AM
    Nothing to stop a large screen and creating a virtual border behaviour.. Ie black (or personalised) border image which you could hide when you set something full screen etc. Context sensitive border .... Cool imo
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    04-11-12 04:19 AM
    nokia have shown with the N9 that it is possible to have gestures from the edge of the screen without a huge touch-enabled bezel.

nothing i do on my playbook cannot be done on my N9.

i'd like a new playbook in the same form factor but sporting an eight inch screen.
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    04-11-12 07:46 AM
    Well if they went full screen ( no bezel)
    it will only do one thing for me.

Make me BUY it even it at the old full price .
    Love my PlayBook
    I'm a BLACKBERRY BOY
    04-11-12 08:02 AM
    I still suspect holding it would be very difficult. Only being able to cup it would not provide a very secure grip. And as folks have found, if a finger is contacting the touch-sensitive area, then swipes and taps do not work.
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    04-11-12 09:21 AM
    I still suspect holding it would be very difficult. Only being able to cup it would not provide a very secure grip. And as folks have found, if a finger is contacting the touch-sensitive area, then swipes and taps do not work.
    Maybe with a screen that supported more than 6 instantaneous touch points they could?

Software would ignore touch inputs that were stationary onthe borders and just deal with the rest of the screen.

I may be wrong, but I think either the iPad3 or the Transformer have a 10 simultaneous touch input screen (Don't quote me on this one).
    04-11-12 09:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD