12-26-11 10:09 AM
63 123
tools
    I think it would have been better for RIM if they were popular from the start and would probably have been number 1 tablet, had they been $200 to start with. More popularity and super hype would have attracted developers and by now we would have had much more apps than currently exist. Also I think the Kindle Fire would not be as popular as it is now.

Better late than never, I just hope it isn't too late for RIM to form a big enough user base for the PlayBook. For me, the only thing missing from the PlayBook is the apps, and just think how things would be if we had that too...

What do you think?
    12-23-11 07:00 PM
    If the PB were $200 from the start I think it would have been more popular. Bringing the cost down has increased the user base of the PB.

Today my co-worker told me he bought a PB for his wife. I was pleasantly surprised.
    volcano55 likes this.
    12-23-11 07:09 PM
    I think more people would buy houses if they cost $50,000, and Porsche sports cars would be way more popular if you could snap them up for about $5,000 apiece.
    12-23-11 07:10 PM
    would have been even worse because non-bb-fanboys will have the un-ready tablet. things will go from half-baked to damn raw real fast
    12-23-11 07:10 PM
    I think more people would buy houses if they cost $50,000, and Porsche sports cars would be way more popular if you could snap them up for about $5,000 apiece.
    Ofcourse, it's about relative cost.
    12-23-11 07:13 PM
    Then RIM wouldn't have made as much money from the early adopters I guess...it would have sold out quick though....
    12-23-11 07:18 PM
    I think it would have been better for RIM if they were popular from the start and would probably have been number 1 tablet
    I was with you all the way up to this point. Then the rest of the post got a little fuzzy.
    12-23-11 07:26 PM
    I would be $350.00 dollars richer but no happier.Keep it simple and smooth.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL
    Chaddface and ignites like this.
    12-23-11 07:28 PM
    I would be $350.00 dollars richer but no happier.Keep it simple and smooth.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL
    I'm usually happier with an extra $350.00.
    12-23-11 07:31 PM
    Even at $299 on release it would have been smash, long lines waiting to get one?
    12-23-11 07:37 PM
    I would have purchased one earlier. But then I do not know the true cost to manufacture the PB. If at $200 Rim is selling it below cost that is not good long term
    12-23-11 07:41 PM
    it would be interesting to ssee where RIM would be. They would have lost more money on each sale but gained a good deal more in marketshare in tablet space. The question becomes what is more valuable. I think it financially would have been even worse than were they are. I dont think that "loss" would be worth the marketshare
    12-23-11 07:48 PM
    The truth is that RIM would never have released Playbook if they had to sell it at $200 from the start.

If they managed to do that without losing money on every device, I'm sure it would have gained much more popularity than they do now. It would have been all over the media, and everyone will have one by now, and pretty healthy ecosystem as well (actually I'm not sure if there were other factors on this one, did Native Development Kit arrive too late or something like that?).
    12-23-11 08:27 PM
    $499 starting point would have worked great if it was released with what is now OS2. Under the originally released conditions I would say $299/$399/$499 would have been a good price point and the 32GB/64GB's being the cash cows since the production price difference between a 16GB to a 32GB is minimal. After they generated interest (as it is now) they could have released PlayBook 2 with convincing specs and increased the price for the base model. Prices can be increased easily once the mass market believes in your product.
    12-23-11 08:30 PM
    I think the tablet market consists of two basic price points, there is iPad and everyone else. Everyone else hovers around a 200-250 dollar price, while iPad is about whatever the fght they wanna charge. That is the tablet market as it is, you can pack all the goodies you want in a tablet but if it aint wrapped in Apple skin it aint gonna sell like an Apple unless its cheap.
    Chaddface, bigbmc26 and caquito07 like this.
    12-23-11 08:51 PM
    Would have been closer to its value, don't get me wrong I like my PB but it's been and still unfinished product. The question should be: What if PB would have all the features from the start ?
    12-23-11 09:20 PM
    I think if they had started at $200, it would have been even more difficult to go back to a reasonable and sustainable long-term price.

Amazon has a much better chance of selling enough content to make up for a loss on their Kindles. At the rate at which RIM sells content, I think they have to bring the PB back to a profitable price or just abandon the project after the current inventory is depleted.
    12-23-11 10:01 PM
    If it was 200 from the start, I have no doubts it'd be the top selling tablet right now.
    JK-PhD likes this.
    12-23-11 10:20 PM
    there is more to a tablet then its price point, if they sold it at $200 to begin with there would be more out there yeah, but I dont think it would be more popular, it is missing a lot of features other tablets have and lacks an ecosystm. If the Playbook had those features and ecosystem it would have a bigger market share regardless of the price.
    12-23-11 10:44 PM
    I think it would have been better for RIM if they were popular from the start and would probably have been number 1 tablet, had they been $200 to start with. More popularity and super hype would have attracted developers and by now we would have had much more apps than currently exist. Also I think the Kindle Fire would not be as popular as it is now.

Better late than never, I just hope it isn't too late for RIM to form a big enough user base for the PlayBook. For me, the only thing missing from the PlayBook is the apps, and just think how things would be if we had that too...

What do you think?
    I think without a doubt they would have sold more units, probably at a loss on each unit, but they might have attracted more developers to create apps, thus mitigating their losses.

I have a question that sort of ties into this: For those people who paid full retail for the PB, if you knew then what you know now (minus the price reduction), would you have still bought the tablet?
    12-23-11 10:53 PM
    there is more to a tablet then its price point, if they sold it at $200 to begin with there would be more out there yeah, but I dont think it would be more popular, it is missing a lot of features other tablets have and lacks an ecosystm. If the Playbook had those features and ecosystem it would have a bigger market share regardless of the price.
    The HP touchpad was cheap and obsolete as soon as it came out and it still sold a boat load.

Price plays a huge factor and still popular.
    12-23-11 11:16 PM
    the well paid marketing guru's will put it on the market for whatever they feel they will get away with.... unfortunately they have failed miserably which is why the early -expensive- buyers are all p.....d off and for a good reason. On top of their pb worries they now seem to struggle with what is said the new operating system for their smart phones, there is just not a lot of good news coming from bb @ the moment and it shows through the freefall their shares have taken.
    12-23-11 11:31 PM
    It would have sold more, rim would have lost money on each sale and it did not happen so .......
    12-24-11 12:28 AM
    they would have made no profit but they would have made a waaaay bigger imprint on the tablet share... at 200$ i cant respect someone saying that it wouldn't be the best tablet out at that price
    12-24-11 12:48 AM
    The HP touchpad was cheap and obsolete as soon as it came out and it still sold a boat load.

Price plays a huge factor and still popular.
    um no. i think you need to look up the history of the hp touchpad. it was definitely not cheap when it first came out.
    12-24-11 12:54 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD