With all due respect, this is the type of thinking that got RIM so far behind in the first place. Even if what you say (that browsers are fine for "most" things) is true (which it isn't), people want their smartphones to make stuff easier. I guess that is what you refer to as "laziness."

If preferring to drive somewhere over taking a camel ride for a month is lazy, find me a tattoo artist so i can wear that title proudly.

can you list what apps you feel are required for the PB that can't be done just as easily with the browser? I own an android phone with access to tons of apps that I feel are needed on a screen that small, but I'm at pains to think of apps I need for my PB with the larger screen size for browsing. I find the 7" screen on my PB has replaced the need for a lot of the apps I use on my phone. Isn't this a moot point to use as an argument anyway? OS2 has been announced for official release in less than 2 months.
    12-25-11 01:30 AM
    can you list what apps you feel are required for the PB that can't be done just as easily with the browser? I own an android phone with access to tons of apps that I feel are needed on a screen that small, but I'm at pains to think of apps I need for my PB with the larger screen size for browsing. I find the 7" screen on my PB has replaced the need for a lot of the apps I use on my phone. Isn't this a moot point to use as an argument anyway? OS2 has been announced for official release in less than 2 months.
    The obvious answer is anything that requires push notification. Do you want to keep going back to a website to see if you have new messages, or do you want an app to do that work for you, based on your preferences.

When you leave work, do you want an app to automatically sense that you are leaving the office and remind you to pick up your clothes, or do you want to remember to go a website for that?

Then of course there are the UI design options you have with apps that are just too cumbersome on the web. In theory, many things are possible in a browser, but on a phone you want things quick and smooth. A well written app is smoother, more immersive, has more options to cache content locally, remember where you left off more seamlessly, and offer you more efficient navigation options.

The fact of the matter is on iOS and Android, when people are given a choice between a web interface and an app, they generally prefer a well-designed app.
    12-25-11 01:57 AM
    The obvious answer is anything that requires push notification. Do you want to keep going back to a website to see if you have new messages, or do you want an app to do that work for you, based on your preferences.

When you leave work, do you want an app to automatically see that you are leaving the office and remind you to pick up your clothes, or do you want to remember to go a website for that?

Then of course there are the UI design options you have with apps that are just too cumbersome on the web. In theory, many things are possible in a browser, but on a phone you want things quick and smooth. A well written app is smoother, has more options to cache content locally, remember where you left off more seamlessly, and offer you quicker navigation options.

The fact of the matter is on iOS and Android, when people are given a choice between a web interface and an app, they generally prefer a well-designed app.
    see quoted text for bold emphasis. Why would you or anyone rely on a tablet to do stuff like that when you can do it from the phone in your front pocket? Furthermore, we've all seen plenty of apps that are worse than their regular website browser interface. Apps made by major developers even. You're not making a good argument. I'm not trying to be mean but guys like you are pushing the mobile industry backwards. Here we get to a point where we're getting mobile conveniences onpocket sized handheld devices and then taking steps backwards demanding it be done on larger devices? This is part of the problem with the tablet industry in general. Funny how nobody ever said a peep about these things on netbooks isn't it?
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 12-25-11 at 02:05 AM.
    12-25-11 02:02 AM
    see quoted text for bold emphasis. Why would you or anyone rely on a tablet to do stuff like that when you can do it from the phone in your front pocket?
    I meant mobile device there, not just phones.

Can you make flipboard work well in a browser? Or even Reeder? Or Discovr? I haven't seen a site that comes close to the same fluid experience.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-25-11 at 02:13 AM.
    12-25-11 02:11 AM
    RE: What if the PlayBook was $200 from the start?

More users capable of buying it... means, more users from the very beginning... more users means, more developers to come... and with great number of users and developers, the product is no longer considered as "failures"...

And one more thing, if the PlayBook was sold for $200 from the very beginning, there will be less "whiners"... 'common guys, for only US$200 with that tablet top of the line specs 8 months ago?
    12-25-11 06:22 AM
    Just as there are people who would pay any price for an Apple product, there are lots of deep pocketed governments and businesses who didn't even blink at paying $500 for a PB. RIM was smart to suck in all that free cash. And RIM was smart to do it last spring, when the tablet market was heating up, rather than get lost in a crowded field.

However, RIM was not smart to release a seriously half-baked product, as that damaged their stellar reputation for quality. They cannot afford to do that a second time. So I'm thinking the 2.0 PB release will blow one's socks off---even if it arrives a month or two late.
    12-25-11 08:49 AM
    12-25-11 11:37 AM
    1. The current PB could not have been sold for $200. It was built to be $500. A $200 tablet would have be very different from the start. It would not be in the same category as the current PB.

2. There is no business plan that could make the current PB profitable at $200. In no universe could the difference be made up in Apps. As for other content, RIM has none. Amazon and Apple have everything. Even Apple couldn't make up such a difference with services, and no one makes more than them on services.

3. THERE IS NO TABLET MARKET! There is no #2. It is the iPad and the sound of chirping crickets. No one else is making money on tablets at any price.

4. Price is not the issue. It is revisionist history to suggest that $500 is a high price point. Apple destroyed the industry's hopes of a tablet market by announcing the iPad starting at $500. They have not recovered since. $500 is not too much for an iPad; it is too much for a tablet. No one wants a tablet; they want an iPad. Still waiting for a market to emerge.

5. The PB was the biggest mistake RIM ever made. While they are spinning their wheels trying to shore up the PB, they should have all hands on deck working on QNX phones.

Finally, if you still need further convincing, look no further than the KF. It is the same as the PB except less. Amazon spent nothing on R&D and design. Yet, at $200, they are still selling it at a loss with no guarantee of a profitable return. If RIM had built that instead of the PB, they would still be losing money with no way to recover it.
    12-25-11 12:33 PM
    Folks from our Posting Rules & Guidelines.....

Post in the Right Forum
    We�ve done our best to layout the forum categories so they are logical and make sense. When you are creating a new thread, do your best to get it in the right category. We want these forums to be value added and educational. The General CrackBerry Discussion and General RIM/BlackBerry Discussion are good places to post if you have a serious question but are not quite sure where to put it. These forums are less stringently moderated, while specific forums (BlackBerry 8700 Series for example) are more strictly moderated to maintain their quality and usefulness.

And of course, we also have the Off-Topic Discussion forum. This is the place on the site to have fun and talk about whatever. From sports to the weather to what to buy your girlfriend for her birthday (buying her a new blackberry is always a good thing), anything goes in here. Just remember to keep it clean, keep it productive and keep it legal!

Make Meaningful Posts
    While CrackBerry.com is geared as much towards entertaining and connecting the Crackberry community as it is to helping solve problems and staying on top of news and rumors, all posts made within the site should be value added and on topic to the thread (even in the free for all). Hijacking a thread off-topic is a big No-No, and posts made for no reason other than to increase post count will be wiped from the site.

Personal Attacks
    Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of harassment of members will be treated seriously. CrackBerry.com has a zero tolerance policy against this kind of behavior, which may result with an immediate temporary or permanent ban at moderators' discretion. CrackBerry.com is a friendly place - treat members with respect at all times. If you don't have something nice to say, do not say it!

Reporting a bad post
    There is a "Report bad post" button on the top right side of each post (red/white triangle) or you can send a PM to a moderator.

We now return you to your regularly schedule thread already in progress!
    12-25-11 07:25 PM
    see : Kindle Fire. This is the type of success blackberry would have saw with a low price point. However, Fire still sells better than PB at current price point due to the fact that people have a negative perception of Blackberry right now. You can thank the Apple biased media for that stance, as just a year ago people didnt really have a problem with the brand.
    12-25-11 10:57 PM
    see : Kindle Fire. This is the type of success blackberry would have saw with a low price point. However, Fire still sells better than PB at current price point due to the fact that people have a negative perception of Blackberry right now. You can thank the Apple biased media for that stance, as just a year ago people didnt really have a problem with the brand.
    is this a joke? its the apple biased medias fault that the playbook was a huge failure? come on..

how do you think the negative perception started in the first place? right from the start when RIM themselves decided to release an unfinished product and wanted to charge the same price as the ipad.
    12-25-11 11:18 PM
    You need to re-read my previous post. The KF is losing money for Amazon. It is a long-term content play. Amazon has lots of content that could potentially make up the difference one day. RIM does not.

That Apple biased media also has nothing but nice things to say about the KF. How do explain that? Never mind.
    12-26-11 08:30 AM
    You need to re-read my previous post. The KF is losing money for Amazon. It is a long-term content play. Amazon has lots of content that could potentially make up the difference one day. RIM does not.

That Apple biased media also has nothing but nice things to say about the KF. How do explain that? Never mind.
    Because its hyped up. Despite the fact that the Fire like the PB was undercooked at launch. Except, instead of missing apps like Email (which is totally fixable, as soon as RIM decides to get on with it), it has problems like lack of hardware (no cameras, bluetooth, usb host capabilities) and lack of performance (laggy navigation) which is due to half the ram that the PB has as well as running on a less efficient OS and running a skin of that OS on top of that, making it even more inefficient, and is an issue that can't truly be fixed unless Amazon utilizes its own OS (Which will really damage the appstore as everything will have to be redone).

Also, other than the media bashing Blackberry, how else can you explain the stock dropping 80% this year? Sure, RIM hasn't been selling fantastically this year, but if you compare how they've sold in 2008 when they introduced the Curve vs now, they've actually had higher revenues. The stock drop was triggered due to poor intial reviews of the playbook as well as disappointment in OS6 devices being behind the iOS and Android counterparts, it doesnt account for how it actually was doing at retail.
    Megacharge likes this.
    12-26-11 09:09 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD