I just purchased another PB from ShopBlackberry. I get the 64 GB and my wife gets the 16GB I got for XMAS. She has an iphone, so Im trying to convert her. I was reading an article about the tablet going to 10" (which seems too big IMO) and I started to wonder what it would be like to have a smartphone that was a mini PB. The design is perfect. QNX rocks. With all of the crap they cram into the iphone, i'm sure it would be possible to produce a high quality phone that mirrors the playbook. Am I crazy, or would that make the perfect smartphone????
    01-03-12 08:56 PM
    This is likely part of the plan for the QNX phones scheduled for the latter part of 2012.
    01-03-12 09:02 PM
    It would be very cool. Especially if it could make phone calls and you didn't need to bridge it to your other phone to access email.
    01-03-12 09:08 PM
    Even if I could give up the keyboard, which is unlikely, no trackpad = no sale.

The Playbook is, quite possibly, the best tablet on the market. Shrink it down to phone size and you've got an iPhone killer, no doubt, but it'll make a rotten blackberry.
    01-03-12 09:13 PM
    How about just adding a radio to the PB and making it a tablet phone?
    01-03-12 09:14 PM
    I seriously hope youre kidding.

The playbook doesnt even have autocorrect typing or word suggestions for the spell check.

Believe me, on a 3.5" screen youll need them.

If RIM released the PB as is as a phone it would be the end of the company for sure. Why do you think theyre waiting until the end of NEXT year to release the BB10 phones. they need to fix this lacklustre OS and soon!!
    stengel680 likes this.
    01-03-12 09:22 PM
    I just purchased another PB from ShopBlackberry. I get the 64 GB and my wife gets the 16GB I got for XMAS. She has an iphone, so Im trying to convert her. I was reading an article about the tablet going to 10" (which seems too big IMO) and I started to wonder what it would be like to have a smartphone that was a mini PB. The design is perfect. QNX rocks. With all of the crap they cram into the iphone, i'm sure it would be possible to produce a high quality phone that mirrors the playbook. Am I crazy, or would that make the perfect smartphone????
    I think that actually is the intent of the playbook development platform for the coming QNX "superphones". There is still some work to be done on the "shrinking ray" that will make it all possible.

And all the apps will already be there...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-03-12 at 09:30 PM.
    01-03-12 09:28 PM
    Italy had an ad here at the top page of the forum yesterday for a "i'mWatch" phone,touch screen, surf the web all from the watch you wear on your wrist!
    With my eyes, there would be no way I could have a 3.5 Playbook, let alone those watches.

here's the link..

http://local.imwatch.it/it-it/
    Last edited by jafobabe; 01-03-12 at 09:45 PM.
    01-03-12 09:43 PM
    I seriously hope youre kidding.

The playbook doesnt even have autocorrect typing or word suggestions for the spell check.

Believe me, on a 3.5" screen youll need them.
    Is this a real argument or you just wanted to increment your posts count?
    01-03-12 09:56 PM
    Is this a real argument or you just wanted to increment your posts count?
    do you not think it is important for a smart phone to have autocorrect or at least spelling suggestions?

I think you're the one trying to up his post count. Typing on the Playbook is painfull.
    01-03-12 10:05 PM
    Italy had an ad here at the top page of the forum yesterday for a "i'mWatch" phone,touch screen, surf the web all from the watch you wear on your wrist!
    With my eyes, there would be no way I could have a 3.5 Playbook, let alone those watches.

here's the link..

i'm Watch
    I love that thing! But I an't read Italian so I couldn't figure out if it bluetooths to blackberry. Buy me one for Christmas?

It's really awkward wearing the playbook on my wrist like I do now.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-03-12 at 10:25 PM.
    01-03-12 10:17 PM
    Well... Thing is that the PB is actually a 9" device diagonally (which is mostly how displays are measured). It is only the actual screen that is 7" diagonally, so the rest is the bezel!
    So... think about your 3.5 inch example... are you talking about visible screen real estate, or total size including the bezel? Don't forget that much of our love for the device is for the swiping gestures and the fact that there is no home button. A 3.5 inch screen size might require a 4.5 to 5' device size diagonally. A 3.5 inch device including the bezel would be a very small screen indeed. A 4.5 to 5 inch device is starting to get really big!
    It makes me wonder...
    I am a huge fan of the handsets going BB10/QNX, but I have not been able to reconcile in my tiny brain how they would just shrink a PB and stick a phone in it...
    01-03-12 10:18 PM
    Typing on the Playbook is painfull.
    Only if your practicing Kama Sutra with a talented gymnast at the same time
    01-03-12 10:19 PM
    do you not think it is important for a smart phone to have autocorrect or at least spelling suggestions?

I think you're the one trying to up his post count. Typing on the Playbook is painfull.
    Umm not to me - I know how to spell and type but to others I'm sure it is. Don't worry its coming this has been discussed endlessly why here?

I will be able to type a liot better when I will be bale to use my REAL BB phone to type onto playbook. Not worried about it.
    01-03-12 10:22 PM
    Well... Thing is that the PB is actually a 9" device diagonally (which is mostly how displays are measured). It is only the actual screen that is 7" diagonally, so the rest is the bezel!
    So... think about your 3.5 inch example... are you talking about visible screen real estate, or total size including the bezel? Don't forget that much of our love for the device is for the swiping gestures and the fact that there is no home button. A 3.5 inch screen size might require a 4.5 to 5' device size diagonally. A 3.5 inch device including the bezel would be a very small screen indeed. A 4.5 to 5 inch device is starting to get really big!
    It makes me wonder...
    I am a huge fan of the handsets going BB10/QNX, but I have not been able to reconcile in my tiny brain how they would just shrink a PB and stick a phone in it...
    good point - not enough room for bezel swiping - maybe a squeeze on the edges instead?
    01-03-12 10:23 PM
    Umm not to me - I know how to spell and type but to others I'm sure it is. Don't worry its coming this has been discussed endlessly why here?

I will be able to type a liot better when I will be bale to use my REAL BB phone to type onto playbook. Not worried about it.
    Its not a matter of knowing how to spell or type but rather the high level of typos that occur on a 3.5 touch screen keyboard.

Its actually one of the frequently cited shortfalls of the current OS. Remember this was a $500 + device when it first launched. My 2 year old iPod Touch .... not to mention old BB curve and Pearls all had this feature. No excuse for RIM not to launch the PB with it.
    01-03-12 10:27 PM
    good point - not enough room for bezel swiping - maybe a squeeze on the edges instead?
    Thing is (for me anyway), I'd like to be able to pick up my phone and have it work THE SAME WAY!
    Not yet another user interface. What to do...
    01-03-12 10:36 PM
    I agree - this design looks like it has room for bezel swiping...

Porsche Design BlackBerry P'9981 Release Date and Pricing | CrackBerry.com
    01-03-12 10:42 PM
    Its not a matter of knowing how to spell or type but rather the high level of typos that occur on a 3.5 touch screen keyboard.

Its actually one of the frequently cited shortfalls of the current OS. Remember this was a $500 + device when it first launched. My 2 year old iPod Touch .... not to mention old BB curve and Pearls all had this feature. No excuse for RIM not to launch the PB with it.
    Yes true but let not your heart be troubled - it will be here. Nobody disagrees it is desirable. Old subject here. Just saying it doesn't bother me much - I've kinda gotten used to the PB keyboard - higher typo rate on my desktop now.
    01-03-12 10:43 PM
    That is what the BB10 phone will be, only it won't be that small of a screen. It will be in the 4 inch range instead. It will be a while before they can reduce the OS to a smaller screen.
    01-03-12 10:51 PM
    If all new Blackberry devices don't make the perfect cup of coffee and hand roll cigars, RIM will be bankrupt by summer. LOL
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-03-12 10:57 PM
    The Galaxy 2 S has by far the best typing software. You never have to remove your fingers from the glass and it translates fine. But the overall experience is not as enjoyable for me on that device. I love the BB OS on my Bold and the playbook is not far behind with an update. I just envision a mini playbook in my pocket that can make phone calls. Ive played with every tablet out there long before making my selection, and the PB has my vote. I hope what you guys are saying comes true, because I would be first in line for a playbook smartphone....BlackBook.

(I will awake from my dream now...)
    01-04-12 11:29 AM

Sure!
    Do you think RIM will try to sell a new phone w/o this? Do you think RIM will show it to the corporate world and try to win them w/o this?

It is clear that OS 1.0 lacks a lot of functionality. We all know that. And it is also clear that in every new build for OS 2.0 we are geting new functionality added.

The OP post was: what do you think about QNX/BB10 in 3.5" form factor.
    01-04-12 07:26 PM
    i personally dont think i would enjoy that. thats just me. i think RIM is on the money when it comes to form factors, just lacking in the software/apps dept (for the time being)
    01-04-12 07:29 PM
    One comment on the bezel swiping... Not sure everyone has realized, but there's no real need for the bezel to be particularly wide for that to work. If you think about it, or watch how you use it, you'll realize that it actually operates merely by seeing at least one single touch "reading" outside the edges of the screen, followed by another one inside.

It's watching for the movement past the edge... that's all. Doesn't really require a whole lot of width for that to function. A couple of millimetres should be enough. More is better for usability, but as long as the touch technology is sensitive (and fast) enough to detect the touch just outside the screen, it would be adequate.

Also, the side-swipes likely aren't used anywhere near as much as the top and bottom swipes, and that region can probably be cut to the minimum without it causing serious problems. I suspect most people "multitask" (i.e. switch apps) by minimizing with the bottom swipe first, then selecting the app they want. After all, that's more effective when you have more than a couple of apps running anyway, at least until they give us the ability to re-order running apps to put the two we want side-by-side.
    01-04-12 07:39 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD