Is anyone else annoyed because the android apps all sit in one window and you can't multitask the way you can with playbook's native apps?

For example: you might have the web browser open and the music player. By swiping the screen, you can easily switch back and forth between the browser and the music player. But the android player has only one window. If you have three android apps running, you can't swipe between them and the other playbook apps.

This really annoys me and seems to be one of the great weaknesses of the android player (apart from the fact that it can't play half or more of the android apps!).
    Jist26 likes this.
    01-29-12 01:49 AM
    Yeah. This issue was raised by Crackberry Kevin at Devcon last year. Given what the app player looks like in the final dev os 2 beta, it looks like OS2.0 will ship with the player in its current form. Not a great implementation, but still pretty incredible to let android run on top of OS2...

As to which apps that the player can run, based on my experience, sideloaded ones don't always work whereas the one I download from App World works. I guess it's just a matter of waiting for them to be repackaged into app world with proper testing by the developer.
    01-29-12 01:57 AM
    It's an Android limitation so I don't think RIM will solve it any time soon. Android is built around displaying one app at a time on the screen, when apps are in the background they stop rendering. This is different from how it works on the PlayBook where minimized apps keep rendering (certain games that auto-pause excepted).
    01-29-12 09:47 AM
    It's an Android limitation so I don't think RIM will solve it any time soon. Android is built around displaying one app at a time on the screen, when apps are in the background they stop rendering. This is different from how it works on the PlayBook where minimized apps keep rendering (certain games that auto-pause excepted).
    This is a bit inaccurate. Yes, you can only display one app at a time on Android devices (unless we're talking interactive widgets) but apps absolutely do not stop rendering in the background. It can multitask just like bb/pb.
    01-29-12 10:19 AM
    Hopefully this won't be a long term problem. Over time the popular apps will hopefully be built into a native app. Then you are back into multitasking goodness.

James
    01-29-12 10:34 AM
    This is a bit inaccurate. Yes, you can only display one app at a time on Android devices (unless we're talking interactive widgets) but apps absolutely do not stop rendering in the background. It can multitask just like bb/pb.
    You're right that apps keep running, but that's quite different from rendering UI.

From the Android developer docs:

When an Activity receives focus, it will be requested to draw its layout. The Android framework will handle the procedure for drawing, but the Activity must provide the root node of its layout hierarchy.
    I expect requesting an app draw when it doesn't have focus would both require significant modifications to Android, and break a significant number of apps.
    01-29-12 03:09 PM
    So they didn't set it up to allow multiple instances of Android Player? Classic RIM job...
    01-29-12 03:36 PM
    So they didn't set it up to allow multiple instances of Android Player? Classic RIM job...
    You wouldn't want that. Android consumes 200MB of RAM (and that's not RIM's fault) just running the base system, run multiple at a time and the PB would be out of memory in no time. Don't tell me the PB has bad hardware either, find me another tablet with 1GB of RAM, especially an almost year old one. Running multiple apps inside the Android Player is the only sane solution.
    diegonei likes this.
    01-29-12 05:11 PM
    You wouldn't want that. Android consumes 200MB of RAM (and that's not RIM's fault) just running the base system,
    So is that why every Android based tablet I've played with runs like a slug?
    01-29-12 05:16 PM
    The fact they lack on memory helps, but keep in mind most tablets are running Android versions designed for phones and are nowhere near proper software/hardware integration.

We all would love to see Android apps running in independent windows, but which other virtualization system actually does this? I can' t think of one (Windows7 and the XP Player does not count since they are almost the same OS).
    01-29-12 05:54 PM
    I see it as a calculated incumberment. rim gets to tout their app tonnage, and 90% of us at satisfied with the apps just running. besides that, it'll provide more incentive to build native apps.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    01-29-12 06:08 PM
    Not really. 200MB of RAM is a reasonable amount for a system to consume, iOS and BBOS consume similar amounts. Tablet OS/BB10 consumes more, but this is reasonable given it's never going to have to run on the older hardware Android/iOS/BBOS has/had to.
    01-29-12 06:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD