I was playing with my playbook and i put some password which i did not remember. 10 attempts failed ............ all got erased..................
    kennyliu, Jake2826 and sleepergsr like this.
    01-31-12 07:17 PM
    hahaha sorry, I hoped you had nothing important in your playbook eh
    01-31-12 07:30 PM
    I am sorry it happened to you. It is good to know that the security is effective though.
    01-31-12 07:32 PM
    Sheesh bad luck man.
    nickbettschen likes this.
    01-31-12 07:35 PM
    Ouch! Sorry this happened, but now ya know!
    why did you do that that? did you now know this was standard on RIM devices?
    ...and now we know why PB's/ BB is the preferred platform of so many federal agencies.
    01-31-12 08:07 PM
    why did you do that that? did you now know this was standard on RIM devices?
    no i did not know that data would be erased after 10x.... never had that picture. i lost my progress in Angry Birds and this sucks ................... there is no way i will play this game again.
    01-31-12 08:20 PM
    We've all tried it lol. Enjoy your PlayBook.
    01-31-12 08:25 PM
    I took my password off because I didn't wan't to keep typing it in. I didn't know that, and if the same thing happened as my router password my playbook would have been released
    01-31-12 08:37 PM
    Tough luck, but good learning for you.
    01-31-12 08:41 PM
    I am now awaiting the day that I turn on my Playbook, notice all my data has been wiped, ask my family if they were messing with it and notice the guilty look on my brother's face...
    bitek and xKrNMBoYx like this.
    01-31-12 09:11 PM
    To be honest i thought that this was some practical joke when the message said "this is your last attempt to enter password. your data will be erased after that" or something to that extent. anyways i lost couple of important spreadsheets. but now i know that rim means business when it comes to data protection. i wondering how this would over wifi network. to access files from pb on pc i would need to put password. would pb get erased after 10x in this situation. ?
    01-31-12 09:26 PM
    so... if i go to someones PB that i dont like and type 10 random passwords it erases everything...

interesting...
    bitek likes this.
    01-31-12 09:32 PM
    It almost happened to me. My wife has a PB with the same type of case as mine. A couple of weeks ago she was sitting on the couch grumbling under her breath, so I asked what was wrong. She said that her password wasn't working and that she had tried it 8 or 9 times. That's when I realized that she had picked up my PB by accident. Fortunately, I caught her just in time. Otherwise, I would have been a very sad camper. I have since taken steps to make sure she can tell the difference between hers and mine.
    01-31-12 09:34 PM
    Wow, man. That's rough. Very sorry to hear that, and sorry you lost your progress in your game. Sucks out loud.
    01-31-12 09:41 PM
    I've been there, done that! Fortunately it was after only 10 days of PB ownership and I didn't really lose anything other than a few photos. Regular backups now! The OS reload didn't bring back the HD demo and it took a few days to find it on the web, maybe from this site.
    01-31-12 09:57 PM
    so... if i go to someones PB that i dont like and type 10 random passwords it erases everything...

interesting...
    pretty much...
    01-31-12 10:34 PM
    I've been there, done that! Fortunately it was after only 10 days of PB ownership and I didn't really lose anything other than a few photos. Regular backups now! The OS reload didn't bring back the HD demo and it took a few days to find it on the web, maybe from this site.
    rim should seriously put some warning message. good no 2.0 yet. all my emails, contacts wiped out. this is first time that i am actually happy rim is late with 2.0
    01-31-12 10:38 PM
    this is why you need to use the back up utility

its nice and easy to use!
    01-31-12 10:40 PM

interesting...
    Pretty much. On BlackBerry phones there is an option as to whether or not to erase. Not sure about the PlayBook off hand.
    01-31-12 10:45 PM
    I worked at a national laboratory in the 80's. There was a UNIX programmer who walked away from his computer when logged in as 'root' (superuser). Someone passing by saw the screen and decided to teach the guy a security lesson. He typed "cd /" and then "rm -rf *", wiping it completely. I never forgot that.
    01-31-12 11:13 PM
    I worked at a national laboratory in the 80's. There was a UNIX programmer who walked away from his computer when logged in as 'root' (superuser). Someone passing by saw the screen and decided to teach the guy a security lesson. He typed "cd /" and then "rm -rf *", wiping it completely. I never forgot that.
    Ouch! I'm currently a Unix programmer. That tiny bit of code is nasty. And Unix doesn't ask "Are you sure?" :-(
    01-31-12 11:23 PM
    This also happened to me. worst part is that I was logged in to the playbook, it was the file share / wifi share password that I could not remember. I really wish that after five attempts it would have said something like "enter login password to continue" but it didn't... Guess it makes sense that it's not an option,incase a corporate wants to lock the ability out.

Still I feel your pain.
    02-01-12 12:36 AM
    I am now awaiting the day that I turn on my Playbook, notice all my data has been wiped, ask my family if they were messing with it and notice the guilty look on my brother's face...
    I have had that debate with myself ever since I got a bb phone. On the one hand, I like it protected but on the other, just because someone grabs and and plays at entering the password - should it blow up all the data?

Would data be just as secure if the person had to try 100 times or 1,000 times. I guess they could guess right but they might also just give up and you'd still have your data when you got it back. But I guess then again, if it were stolen and it was CIA/Defense (defence on the other side of the, well, fence), maybe it is best wiped clean????
    02-01-12 12:56 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD