.......what is the purpose?

Second Q: what is the purpose of the Security Wipe function?
    02-16-12 10:33 AM
    Debrick restores the PlayBook to as if it just came out of the factory with the latest OS. It is similar to reinstalling the OS on a Windows machine to see if it resolves some problems. The PlayBook OS is loaded on a read only section of the memory, so the process has to be started as directed so the Desktop Manager can write to this read only area.

The security wipe removes all user data and applications, plus some demo applications. When the Playbook reboots, it is similar to new out of the box, but it may be missing some things like the demo video. After a security wipe, it will start up like a new PlayBook and ask you to choose a language, select your country, and enter your BlackBerryID. It will then use this info to download an extra 30-40mb of applications appropriate to your country. The country may be calculated by your ip address, so keep this in mind when traveling.

Be warned that with both a security wipe and a debrick, your location is probably based upon the ip address you are connected to. What this means is if you are travelling or buy the PlayBook in North America and then debrick, security wipe, or do an OS upgrade, you may loose some apps or functionality you need. For example, I don't think the video chat is available in all countries. At one point in the early days of the PlayBook, people in China that had imported PlayBooks lost all apps and even AppWorld when they did a security wipe and were not able to get back any Apps since the PlayBook was not supported in China.
    jafobabe and Willard814 like this.
    02-16-12 10:52 AM
    As I discovered last night through this morning, a DEBRICK does not completely restore the pb to factory fresh conditions. I was quite surprised when it finally booted up, that I had to enter my original password. So Debrick did not erase/remove the password.

There is a point when it asks about UPDATING, that it asks for the password and gives 10 (I think) attempts. I guess during that dialog you could remove the password by entering it wrong 10 times (or would it not continue the update???).
    02-16-12 11:41 AM
    Interesting... so the security wipe is more thorough?
    02-16-12 11:46 AM
    I have no idea which one is more thorough. I think Security Wipe is easier to accomplish but you might lose the demo hd video (turtle video). Restoration if either goes smoothly is tedious with lots of data and apps to restore.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    02-16-12 12:20 PM
    Interesting... so the security wipe is more thorough?
    The security wipe may be more secure Since they call it a wipe, it probably over writes the memory so that files cannot be recovered, otherwise it wouldn't have the FIPs security rating.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    02-16-12 01:53 PM
    The security wipe may be more secure Since they call it a wipe, it probably over writes the memory so that files cannot be recovered, otherwise it wouldn't have the FIPs security rating.
    I was wondering that as I let it run that final time when it worked. Since it had asked for my password even after two failed attempts but would not boot, I did wonder what else was still on its "hard drive" - obviously, my password was still intact and it was intact this morning when the process finished. But no other documents/files were there. The only retained info seemed to be the password. So next time, I would see what entering the wrong password 10 times would do. That might activate a "wipe" first and then the Debrick update.

I tried searching the rim knowledge base last night after they would not provide support after 90 days but did not find anything very specific.
    02-16-12 03:37 PM
    That might activate a "wipe" first and then the Debrick update.
    I'm confused. Do you need to wipe AND debrick?
    02-17-12 12:01 AM
    I'm confused. Do you need to wipe AND debrick?
    Probably not. In the main, they both seem to lead to the same result - a very cleaned off pb. For some reason the wipe does not replace the hd demo video. And I just remembered to check and that video is back.

It is very hard to find info on what either process is doing. The Debrick becomes necessary when the pb appears to lose touch with the outside world entirely and will not boot and goes into an endless loop with a blinking led. You must use Desktop manager (dm) to run it.

The Security Wipe is handled or initiated on the pb. It cleans off all data and files and settings.

Both require you to jump through the initialization routines, select a country, language, connect to wifi to finish the process, assign a bbid, and run the tutorials.

I chose the Debrick since there had been hints that it really fully reloads the OS whereas a Security Wipe takes off from the OS on the device. I don't know how true.

In my case, my 32gig in Standby the battery loses about 2% per hour overnight (and at other times, too) so I lose about 16-18%. I was hoping that the Debrick might change/fix that. It did NOT. It still loses that much, I believe.

Will be testing it in a few minutes as it is now charged to 99%.

But I'm not an expert on either method and what is really happening is not something I can really say.

Unless you need to do either for some specific reason, there is no reason. Restoring data, pics, videos, music, etc and apps is a tedious pain in the rear.
    02-17-12 12:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD