What happens to the PIN after security wipe?

I so very sadly lost my playbook I called BB and asked them to lock my pin.

BUT what happens if the guy/gal who found it and didn't return it (THAT !@#$!!!) just puts in 10 false passwords, does a security wipe? Will a NEW pin be issued?

And what happens to the tablet with a locked pin? can the guy/gal not use it at all? or just email? or bb id? or apps?

Thank you for the info!!!
    03-04-13 02:36 AM
    PINs are assigned to each device. Its hardcoded into them. On older legacy devices it was really worthwhile to block the PIN because they needed a BIS plan to use it. If the PIN is blocked then it was useless to them. The playbook doesn't use BIS for a ton of its functionality so I doubt it will render it useless like legacy devices.

I'm sorry to hear the device was stolen though. That sux. And to answer your question, no it will keep the same PIN.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    AT_Nepal likes this.
    03-04-13 02:41 AM
    Thats it????? WHAT? I was on the phone for a whole hour and it does pretty much NOTHING?

I feel BBRY could REALLY make it their strength to really lock devices like that! imagine, your device gets stolen/lost and its totally bricked. That would be a great plus for BBRY!!
    03-04-13 04:17 AM
    I'm not sure - if they wipe the device, it MAY not be able to re-download the OS (not sure about that) but it will be blocked from any OS upgrades. They also will not be able to purchase apps.
    03-04-13 09:06 AM
    I think the device will essentially be rendered useless. Others have reported buying PBs from questionable sources and they have been unable to get through the setup process because their PBs have been blacklisted by BB.
    03-04-13 10:27 AM
    Thats it????? WHAT? I was on the phone for a whole hour and it does pretty much NOTHING?

I feel BBRY could REALLY make it their strength to really lock devices like that! imagine, your device gets stolen/lost and its totally bricked. That would be a great plus for BBRY!!
    Stop acting like a petulant child. You lost your tablet by being careless. Buy another BlackBerry PlayBook and file a police report about the first tablet. If you know whom has it let the police know.

If you remember the old PIN initiate a BlackBerry video chat with the other device. If the fool accepts the inbound call you'll be able to screen capture their face.

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Z10
    MobileMadness002 and AT_Nepal like this.
    03-04-13 02:09 PM
    Stop acting like a petulant child. You lost your tablet by being careless. Buy another BlackBerry PlayBook and file a police report about the first tablet. If you know whom has it let the police know.

If you remember the old PIN initiate a BlackBerry video chat with the other device. If the fool accepts the inbound call you'll be able to screen capture their face.

Easy now....
    AT_Nepal and bungaboy like this.
    03-04-13 05:31 PM
    Easy now....
    Sorry I got carried away.

03-05-13 12:34 AM
    I didn't even think about the pushed OS updates and setting up the playbook. It does in fact require you to setup a BBID to finish the setup so yeah... I would say the playbook is rendered useless.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-05-13 12:48 AM
    OP, I'd contact the PB help support on this one. Truth is NONE of us know for sure how that bit goes.

Here is the link. If NA support is as good as the LatAm support, you may be in for a treat. PlayBook Support - Contact Support - US
    03-05-13 11:16 AM