The PB will always be functional enough for some folks. Choice is good, though.
    richardat and JRAtk027 like this.
    09-15-12 10:17 PM
    People are used to Apple's iOS ecosystem, or Android's ecosystem. There are many apps that vary in different degrees. You find new apps to try and use every day or at least every week, and most of them are free to try.

Larger app selection and appstore means more developers, more buying, more free apps, and the best cheaper prices.

Like i used to rant about to people who complained about the lack of apps. There are many duplicate apps on iOS and Android, but there are also many other apps that are not on the Playbook.

Some people may have bought a playbook hoping to replace a phone for apps due to the better screen. What's the point if there are not enough high quality apps.

I don't care just about the number of apps for the playbook, I want quality apps for the playbook that other tablets have that we don't.

For example when the Draw Something trend happened. It wasn't on the playbook. We did our research and waited and Sketch w/ Friends came out. It's not the same experience. Being able to guess and finish a drawing anytime you wanted was the biggest plus for Draw Something. Not only that Sketch w/ Friends struggled to get their servers stable for a long time. Even when they said it was stable I could not play a single game even through restarts, re-installs, and restores.

I have no idea if I mentioned this before, but there is no specific number of apps when we say there are not enough apps. Get it through your heads. We're missing the quality apps provided in other ecosystems. Not a number. Playbook could have a billion apps and I would not be happy if the good apps were not included. Many games are not developed for the playbook, I miss major apps like skype or tango that many people use, and autocadWS would be nice, etc.

My ranting is not for all of you, just for the people that seems to portray "us" as people who appreciate quantity, when what we want is just the quality apps that others with worse hardware get to have.
    Drew808 and Yaceka like this.
    09-15-12 10:18 PM
    Sure who does want more quality apps. Quality over quantity always wins in my book, but not all tables can be all things to everyone. And for now playbook is playing catch up. Once BB10 is out we can truly see if they've done a good enough job getting dev's working on delivering those apps. Until that happens I'm making do and happy with what I got.
    09-15-12 10:58 PM
    I love the multitasking capabilities of my PlayBook. That being said, the area where RIM has failed is in attracting developers to provide us with good quality apps. I don't want to sideload or run Android apps. I want high quality PlayBook specific versions that utilize the Bezel gestures and use the power of this tablets hardware.

Skype would be great, but so would many others. The list is too long to mention, but we all know what they are.

RIM has failed in this area. You don't have to be a genius to see that.

09-15-12 11:57 PM
    let me be geeky for a moment and share a purely technical perspective. one of the huge advantages iOS and android have right now is that both phone and tab run under the same OS. so for example, when the ipad first came out, many of the iphone apps just worked (albeit not optimized) for the ipad. so it already gave the ipad a great starting point for apps. the playbook had to build the ecosystem from scratch which certainly has been challenging, but clearly tonnes of.progress has been made. Now, bb10 will be a game changer for apps for the playbook. why?...because it will unify the OS for RIM phones and tablet. From the beta sdks for bb10, one thing that looks very possible is that apps built for the smartphone will work for the playbook. when you couple the two, the economics of attracting developers changes dramatically...all of a sudden the same app (or with small changes) targets not only the tablet market but potentially a user base of 75 million bb subscribers...to me that is incentive and motivation for both quantity and quality apps going forward for the playbook :-)
    Angus_CB and Hgouck like this.
    09-16-12 12:29 AM
    I have several tablets including a Blackberry Playbook, an Ipad and some Android tablet. Of all of them I'd prefer the Playbook for watching videos because of it's superior speakers and it's good screen. The problem is that the built-in video player just doesn't have many features. It's not a bad player but there are dozens of better ones to choose from in Android or IOS.

I can't get a Kindle app on the Playbook. While that's not the end of the world, I also can't get Netflix. Okay, not a big deal but I can go on and soon the pattern becomes obvious.

If the apps that are built-in were all I needed it would be the best tablet I have, by far. And they're good apps. But they just aren't enough.

So I look in App World and I find a few apps that might be useful but they're two and three times more than comparable Android and IOS apps. And there's no way to get a refund if you don't like it. And it just has to be said, there aren't that many good ones.

There are some good apps. I've bought several apps that I'm glad I bought. But most things I want to do I do in Android because I can get any apps I need there and they cost very little.

So the answer is that people complain that there aren't enough apps because there aren't enough apps and that's really a shame. It's a great tablet.

Barry
    I have an ipad and a PlayBook. I've gone through both app stores a reasonable amount. In the Apple store, I've gone well past 150 Apps/Games levels in featured, best rated and best price wise etc. and found very little of interest. Ditto for the Playbook store. In both cases, there were a zillion games and some very basic productivity apps. The only real apparent difference, Skype and Netflix available on ipad - which I haven't downloaded.

Where are all these wonderful, interesting apps? How do you uncover them? I'm willing to bet that 90% of buyers spend little time searching for them. In my view, the whole app thing is mainly hype, benefitting Apple primarily. For me, both tablets do the job, the Playbook functionality makes it better.

The difference: I text/chat cross platform only on the ipad because it's easy there, not on the Playbook since I don't have a BB phone. I bought the ipad for this reason.
    09-16-12 12:37 AM
    It's all about connecting with the world and people who are in it. BlackBerry has a small world and not many people live in it... Other platforms are more successful because they are compatible with what people use and what is popular. Do you have Instagram? No because I use BlackBerry... The quality of BB apps aren't as in depth and intuitive as Apple or Android apps. BlackBerry needs a better ecosystem. Collaborate with popular companies with services that people actually use and create better apps of their own!
    09-16-12 12:50 AM
    Question is rather simply answered, apple has it so we need it.
    We need the latest trendy apps because other people have them and without these apps we are not best.
    09-16-12 01:19 AM
    It isn't an Apple thing. Apps expand functionality.

Thankfully, RIM does not think like some of here (that consumers are stupid) and is actively working to build a compelling ecosystem.

Of course, it is easier to wonder how Apple "brainwashes" the "masses." LOL.
    Drew808, bdegrande and Yaceka like this.
    09-16-12 01:24 AM
    I don't need apps. I don't use apps. What I need is actual programs. Office and Quicken to be precise. With those 2 programs I wouldn't need a computer at all. I'm not complaining though. I know they won't be around any time soon.

I too have never understood the apps complaint. If there were a million apps, it would take forever to find a decent app. I don't want (or have the time nor the money) to wade through 10 - 20 apps to find a decent one.
    09-16-12 04:00 AM
    It isn't an Apple thing. Apps expand functionality.

Thankfully, RIM does not think like some of here (that consumers are stupid) and is actively working to build a compelling ecosystem.

Of course, it is easier to wonder how Apple "brainwashes" the "masses." LOL.
    I really do not understand that at all?

Your native Adobe PDF reader is an App. So you would happy without that?

Whilst I'm not an Apple user, I have had access to some fantastic apps that make the device what it is and pushes forwards the boundaries of creative and practical imagination.

Your argument is like buying a pc and not wanting any software for it. That anyone who wishes to install firefox or Photoshop media player for example is brainwashed.

The Playbook is a tool, not a 'Professional' one as touted. It does not come shipped with software to meet every need, just as does the iPad does not. You supplement it with apps to meet your requirements.

The issue or gripe for many is that the selection of apps in general are poor, rarely updated and seriously lacking. Personally I'm pretty sure not overwhelmed by Apple... However, very sure I am underwhelmed by RIM.
    09-16-12 05:31 AM
    It's not always about SKYPE and NETFLIX...OMG FK GOD!!!!!

The Playbook doesn't have the BASIC apps!!!

Pandora, Kindle, Citi Bank app, and TV Apps like CW and ABC, etc.

Even developers have stopped updating their apps. They just come, submit app, leave. No more updates are received or any news.

And by the way,

We have enough GAMES to satisfy the users, just being the BASIC APPS.
    You must be so frustrated with us ordinary people that can't grasp the superiority of your argument, that you need to resort to digital equivilency of shouting. I truly do empathise.

However, you should realize that those 'basic' apps you mention, are an opinion and for the most part pretty poor examples. Kindle? I would not use it if it came with Playbook. Citibank, not of much use to us without a citibank account. TV apps are a personal preference. You have provided a list of apps that are essential to you, not to Playbook users as a whole.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-16-12 08:29 AM

Whilst I'm not an Apple user, I have had access to some fantastic apps that make the device what it is and pushes forwards the boundaries of creative and practical imagination.

Your argument is like buying a pc and not wanting any software for it. That anyone who wishes to install firefox or Photoshop media player for example is brainwashed.

The Playbook is a tool, not a 'Professional' one as touted. It does not come shipped with software to meet every need, just as does the iPad does not. You supplement it with apps to meet your requirements.

The issue or gripe for many is that the selection of apps in general are poor, rarely updated and seriously lacking. Personally I'm pretty sure not overwhelmed by Apple... However, very sure I am underwhelmed by RIM.
    Did you mean to quote me LOL.
    richardat likes this.
    09-16-12 08:37 AM
    I think what you are seeing is a bit of history coming back to bit the playbook. It was released too soon without the necessary 3rd party support.

Having bought my playbook in March when the App store is a bit more mature, I have never really had a problem with the App store. Sometimes there is something specific missing but it is rare.

Overall, I think the App store is quite reasonable with areas of specific deficiencies. Personally, if RIM were to bring in some of the remaining big Apps, there would be little to complain about. I'm sure they are working on this and I expect in 6 months, this will have disappeared.

When it comes to Apps, it is quite clear from market analysis that greater than 90% never buy more than 5 Apps. So I don't think RIM should focus on more Apps. It should be concerned about having those small number of Apps that 90% of people buy or use. I think that is where the SKYPE argument is valid. I guess one could throw in Netflix as well but really it is more of a niche app with a limited following.

Where the playbook shines is with the browser. Sorry Apple fans but the iPAD is a real laggard in this area, HTML rendering is still dead last relative to the major platforms. One positive thing about having a good browser is that you access the website directly independent of an APP. It has been a refreshing experience and one starts to realize how limited APPs really are.

People will always have specific gripes. Some are valid. But in general, alot of the complaints are plain silly. My favorite from above was someone complaining they could get ABC television. I just about fell off my seat laughing. There must be atleast 5 freebie Apps that allow you to do this.

In the end a tablet is a limited mobile computer platform. It allows you to perform selected functions conveniently. Nothing more and nothing less. APPS help to increase functionality in selected ways. The future in the tablet space is better operating systems. That is where BB10 comes in. From what we have seen so far, it is the class of the field.
    While I'm not as familiar with the Android system, Apple's OS is simply done in terms of moving tablet platforms forward. It has not properly updated and consequently their ecosystem is becoming a prison that prevents innovation. I think this is what we saw this week with the iPhone5 release.
    esk369 and Canuck671 like this.
    09-16-12 08:54 AM

Fmar - I agree!

My expectations were set by RIM before the launch of the PB, and I purchased my first PB based on those expectations

Skype and DLNA are two key pieces of functionality that I expected from day one (as touted by RIM execs) - unfortunately I am still waiting....

Maybe I am naive, but I expected similar levels of functionality and professionalism to my BB smartphones - unfortunately I am still waiting....

Different users have different needs - my needs are those of a professional who travels a lot - all the pre-launch hype from RIM that I noticed was about a tablet coming out that would meet my needs - unfortunately I am still waiting....

In my naivety, based on the messages I received from RIM (pre-launch), I assumed that I would get the equivalent functionality of a BB9xxx (without phone calling) PLUS Skype, DLNA and a large screen - eg the ability to leave my laptop home most days... - unfortunately I am still waiting....

I don't know what expectations were set by RIM re: games on the PB as I am not much of a game player and games have never been a mandatory requirement for me (though I would love Scrabble!)

In summary - unfortunately I am still waiting....
    09-16-12 10:06 AM
    I do agree with the comments about basic apps not being available on the Playbook. There's plenty of games but what I'd like to see is Skype, a Visio diagram editing tool, a native Kindle app, a DLNA app that allows me to play video's & music etc off of a NAS (I have tried UPnPlayer and it doesn't work for me) etc.

At the moment the balance of apps means that the Playbook is an excellent gaming device, but not quite up to speed as a multimedia or a work tool.
    09-16-12 10:15 AM
    You must be so frustrated with us ordinary people that can't grasp the superiority of your argument, that you need to resort to digital equivilency of shouting. I truly do empathise.

However, you should realize that those 'basic' apps you mention, are an opinion and for the most part pretty poor examples. Kindle? I would not use it if it came with Playbook. Citibank, not of much use to us without a citibank account. TV apps are a personal preference. You have provided a list of apps that are essential to you, not to Playbook users as a whole.
    "Kindle? I would not use it if it came with Playbook." - Well, just because you won't use kindle on your Playbook, the other one million people wouldn't use it?

If my examples are poor, then please tell. What do you think are some "BASIC" apps?
    Last edited by rupam95; 09-16-12 at 10:30 AM.
    09-16-12 10:23 AM
    My office has 4 doors and a ford badge on the front grill on most days I have my pb my laptop and my t300 its no big deal I'm not lugging them around in a backpack or briefcase I get to a job site and grab what I need to do what I need and more times then not I grab my pb it just does what I need it to do.
    So whoopie for me I have a few core apps that I use other then that apps I don't need no stinking apps. I'm in construction management it aint rocket science.
    bungaboy and Hgouck like this.
    09-16-12 10:40 AM
    I have an Android tablet and recently bought a Playbook. I don't want to download an app for every website that I visit, so I would rather see a few quality apps than massive quantity.

Android has some great apps like pulse news, but I hate the Android market because it is disorganized and filled with dubious apps. It is hard to tell if you are downloading a demo, whether the app is ad-supported, or contains micro transactions. Also, there are no sub-categories, so if I am looking for a fitness app, I have to wade through many ovulation calender apps to find something I am actually looking for. The experience feels like shopping for used clothing, so I hardly ever download anything. These problems make it difficult for developers to get traction for good apps.

As far as the Playbook goes, I like that there are sub-categories. There also seem to be several high quality games. The guys that brought Bard's Tale to Playbook deserve to be compensated for their work, and I believe they would have a harder time on Android. I don't mind paying extra to support mobile games with depth.

However, I have not yet found a news or map app on Playbook that is on par with what was preloaded on my android tab.
    09-16-12 11:43 AM
    It is a simple thing: Basic apps mean different things to different people. (For me at the moment a pdf reader and a chm reader are basic apps) To some Skype.. to some something else..
    So if "X" is a basic app for you and it is missing for playbook.. then yep you are free to say "Basic apps are missing"

From here on in everything is my personal opinion and quite a bit of speculation:
    The present condition of applications I will NOT blame on RIM. The basic apps we mention here over and over again belong to 3rd party developers and RIM can do only so much to get them to make native ones for Playbook. And IMO RIM is doing that. At one point I think I remember RIM said if one of the major developer is ready to port they will send a team from RIM to help them out.. (I don't really remember in reference to what it was though..)

Then why are 3rd party devs not interested?
    1. Numbers: a. iOS runs on iphone(6 generations?), ipod touch(5 gens?) and ipad(3 gens) and with huge sales so far
    b. Android: well God only knows how many phones and tablets it runs on..
    c. Playbook OS: well.. 1 device (2 generations..) that too did not sell too well compared to the above IMO..
    2. So the ecosystem gives them a huge advantage.. A large target audience == Lots of profit.. Playbook at the moment not so..
    3. For any developer it is not just port and its done.. They have to provide continued support, bug fixing, update.. So they have to consider what commitment they make to profit they make off it?
    4. Well to be unbiased RIM was (is?) is a tight spot.. Devs might want to see how BB10 launch goes before coming over to make sure they arent investing into a dead product?

Does it change?
    1. I hope so. It is pretty clear that recently quite a lot of big game companies have taken interest in the Playbook (If I'm not mistaken Bard's Tale is out for Playbook even before Android)
    2. Numbers again.. With BB10 closer to being a reality, the number of devices running BB10 is going to increase.. If the launch is a great success then so is the userbase going to grow..
    More users = More demand = More interested devs = more apps..
    3. Playbook OS / BB10 are still maturing:
    Think of this (Initial release dates, Wikipedia):
    iOS: June 29, 2007 (5 yrs, 2 mo)
    Android: September 20, 2008 (3yrs, 12mo)
    PB Tab OS: April 19, 2011 (1yr, 4 mo)
    So the OS is relatively new and so obviously it was slow to put out a good infrastructure for developers too.. But it is getting there Cascades for example..

Closing statement for me:
    1. Is there a shortage of apps / lack of developers? "Yes"
    2. Are basic apps are missing.. "Yes" "Maybe not".. Depends on your requirements.
    3. Is RIM blameable.. "Not entirely"
    4. Does the situation change.. "Hopefully" In near future.. I think it already is to some extent..

P.S. It might be much more better if a person who want "X" application writes to the developer of the "X" application saying "Please port to PlayBook. It is awesome.. etc"
    rather than just posting here at this forum..
    And if you are paying for a service/account for the "X" application you can get more assertive/creative by going like "I pay for your service already. Port to PlayBook or I quit using ur service"..
    Last edited by GreyGhostRos; 09-16-12 at 12:17 PM.
    Angus_CB and bigbmc26 like this.
    09-16-12 12:10 PM
    What do you think are some "BASIC" apps?
    In addition to what comes standard now:

Cross platform video chat.
    Navigation
    Office
    BB Travel
    Kindle

Not an app but i would like the ability to play vids from sites such as hulu or vudu. Netflix is useless IMO

To me an app that is basically a shortcut to a website is a waste of screen real estate
    09-16-12 02:26 PM
    My biggest complaint being a new user is the abysmal lack of offline dictionaries and a thesaurus. It is pitiful that R.I.M. didn't include such an application. Even my ancient HP Ipaq has a full range of office suites including the English-English Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus.

The Adobe reader is somebody's idea of a joke. Yes, yes, before you get it in I know Adobe is a joke. How can you pre-install a reader that doesn't have a search function? I'm still flicking through War And Piece to find 'lead cannon balls'?

Other that that I am really delighted. I have no interest in games and I like the Playbook for its minimalist functionality. I just wish they had the above.

Best go...the Teddy bears are kicking off in the bedroom.

esk369 likes this.
    09-16-12 05:07 PM
    My biggest complaint being a new user is the abysmal lack of offline dictionaries and a thesaurus. It is pitiful that R.I.M. didn't include such an application. Even my ancient HP Ipaq has a full range of office suites including the English-English Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus.

The Adobe reader is somebody's idea of a joke. Yes, yes, before you get it in I know Adobe is a joke. How can you pre-install a reader that doesn't have a search function? I'm still flicking through War And Piece to find 'lead cannon balls'?

Other that that I am really delighted. I have no interest in games and I like the Playbook for its minimalist functionality. I just wish they had the above.

Best go...the Teddy bears are kicking off in the bedroom.

By the same token, how can anybody install a Browser that does not have a SEARCH function? You will have to ask the brains at rim!
    esk369 likes this.
    09-16-12 06:58 PM
    If you type your search in the address bar and hit return the browser does search. Under options general you can even set which site to use for your search.
    09-16-12 07:28 PM
    My biggest complaint being a new user is the abysmal lack of offline dictionaries and a thesaurus. p
    Try this- https://hotfile.com/dl/172096244/844...2.105.bar.html
    09-16-12 08:05 PM
95 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD