Playbook 2? I think we'd be hearing rumours of that if it were going to happen anytime soon [like the next 6 month - year].

I don't think RIM had a strategy until recently. I do think the Playbook was overpriced...sure, BB enthusiasts were willing to spring for it [just as Apple fans are willing to lay out $500+ for an iPad] but that's just too much for the general public to feel comfortable with. The fact that there are lineups to buy heavily discounted Playbooks confirms this IMO.

NOW RIM is getting lots of Playbooks into people's hands, there are definite announcements of when upgrades are coming [even if they are a few months away] and the long-awaited PIM/email apps are looking like a reality. As well, the SDK for Playbook is finally out there, so things should start to snowball on the general app front before too much longer.

Have you ever made a Christmas dinner? One of the challenges of real cooking is to make every dish ready for the table at the same time. RIM has definitely dropped the ball on timeliness...the SDK should have been out much earlier, and the PIM/email should have been ready by 3Q this year at the latest when RIM was getting kicked around like a soccer ball and everybody was losing hope. They may still pull it off if they can follow through...I'm hopeful again, anyway.
    11-22-11 04:05 PM
    The strategy seems clear to me. Sell these PlayBooks at a discount to further expand the user pool. Getting media attention and buyer interest at these prices. Probably more publicity than an advertising campaign while bringing in revenue. Under the cover, the PB is far superior to the other tablets, so with the new OS and apps, it will be pulled into the top level of choices.

This selling seasion is clearing the deck for CES in January 2012, when RIM will launch the new PlayBook2. After they announce PlayBook2, people will naturally be reluctant to buy the old version, so sell them now, build the user pool, build interest and attention to the PB platform. We already know that OS2 is coming, and it's likely coming on a new platform.

Hopefully for all of us, and logical since the developers are using PB1, we expect OS2 to be available for the PB1 that we all have.

Then with PB2 and OS2 and new phones with BBQ announced at CES, we can all ride the wave of excitement and rising stock value as these devices are released.

+1

i think this is exactly what they are doing aswell, create a fever pitch threw the price, get more people to adopt it, create a larger market in the long run. sony did this with the ps3, they sold them at a loss initially.

i know rim didn't initially sell the playbook at a loss, but there is nothing saying they cant learn.
    11-22-11 06:51 PM
    RIM is famous for stuffing the carrier channels. RIM is doing the same to the retail channels. Clearance prices to remove laggard stock piles in retail. The end result, PB is sold out. Then restuff the channels before the quarter ends on Nov. 30th. Report higher PB units shipped in Q3 than Q2.

BGR, Wired, AllThingsDigital write opinions, "RIM is not completely dead but has a fighting chance." Lazaridis and Balsallie flash BBX phones at analysts. RIMM stock recovers to $23.

Earnings call for the quarter should be around December 15 which means the quarter ends soon for them. Also before the price drops everyone who was going to buy one with what it could do at that point had. If they had been able to deliver on 2.0 and have a relaunch they could have gotten higher price point on the sales for Christmas, but right now they have to get the Playbook financial albatross off their neck ASAP. Investors are already upset and I expect the numbers in this call will be disappointing. Better to get the loss over quicker than drag it out.
    11-22-11 08:20 PM
    It appears that these fire sale prices is causing RIM to sell out of playbooks across North America at a loss (or break even) one week before the busiest shopping season of the year. I don't understand why RIM wouldn't wait and try to collect more margins at least for a couple of weeks and then slash the prices.

I have a couple of theories but would be interested in yours.

1. RIM feels that they can't compete head to head at black friday so they thought they would unload beforehand.
    2. RIM has many retail agreements in place with vendors where vendors can send back unsold inventory. RIM maybe did an HP thing and instructed vendors to sell at cost instead of sending them back.
    3. RIM will be reporting earnings mid december and they wanted to boost the playbook numbers and present BBX as a viable platform on the conference call by showing big sales.
    4. Playbook 2 is coming much sooner than expected?
    Kindle fire, nook tablet. Enough said.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-11 08:23 PM
    RIM is famous for stuffing the carrier channels. RIM is doing the same to the retail channels. Clearance prices to remove laggard stock piles in retail. The end result, PB is sold out. Then restuff the channels before the quarter ends on Nov. 30th. Report higher PB units shipped in Q3 than Q2.

BGR, Wired, AllThingsDigital write opinions, "RIM is not completely dead but has a fighting chance." Lazaridis and Balsallie flash BBX phones at analysts. RIMM stock recovers to $23.
    Not quite a recovery:

16.87 -0.49‎ (-2.82%‎) Nov 22 4:00pm ET
    16.80‎ -0.07‎ (-0.41%‎) After Hours
    11-22-11 09:04 PM
    How long have you been hearing these voices in your head?
    A very long time. But suddenly they stopped for a while and I felt all alone. Thankfully, the voices are back to keep me company again. "Who are you talking to?"
    11-22-11 09:15 PM
    I would guess they desperately need to get their sales numbers up for two main reasons:
    1. The earnings call and the fact that their share price is languishing.
    Selling a product at a loss isn't going to help RIM's share price, and it's not going to help earnings. Investors like profitable sales, not merely sales.
    Pearl9100 and JBenn911 like this.
    11-22-11 09:19 PM
    <Selling a product at a loss isn't going to help RIM's share price, and it's not going to help earnings. Investors like profitable sales, not merely sales>

I don't like Balsillie's chances in being able to spin increased playbook "shipped" on the conference call if their margins are obliterated. Although I am sure he will be creative in attempting to do so.
    11-22-11 09:25 PM
    If its true that only 1.2 million non-ipad tablets have been sold so far this year, with HP leading in market share, it wont be only JB on the hotseat. Apparently they're all epic fails so far. But Playbook and Kindle fire are getting some attention now. A lot of people have Playbook on their radar now, and I'm fielding more questions now than any other time since launch.
    11-22-11 10:44 PM
    Get enough tablets in the wild to make it more attractive to develop for.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-22-11 11:23 PM
    Get enough tablets in the wild to make it more attractive to develop for.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    that is pretty much my thoughts. My reasoning for no PlayBook2 announcement is because the PB1 was incomplete at launch, PB2 would **** off a lot of early adopters/faithfuls and I dont think that is in their best interest.It is still very capable. Deliever what was promised, foster ecosystem for app devs then talk PB2

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-11 11:30 PM
    RE: What exactly is RIM's Playbook strategy here? ↓↓↓

Updating the OS Beta and none for Official OS...
    11-23-11 02:19 AM
    "RIM continues to be the top-selling vendor in the U.K. and Indonesia, and has gained momentum in Latin America."

Last time I checked RIM has 70 million users. World does not revolve around NA market. Bigger markets abroad.
    RIM Has BlackBerry Sales Flatlining But Stock Good For $26 - Forbes

Not quite a recovery:

16.87 -0.49‎ (-2.82%‎) Nov 22 4:00pm ET
    16.80‎ -0.07‎ (-0.41%‎) After Hours
    Last edited by the_sleuth; 11-23-11 at 06:48 PM.
    11-23-11 06:42 PM
    All tablet makers are learning that hardware is only part of the equation. It is also about the apps, content,and pricing wrapped up in an ecosystem. Google is making great strides today with announcement of Disney content on YouTube.

If its true that only 1.2 million non-ipad tablets have been sold so far this year, with HP leading in market share, it wont be only JB on the hotseat. Apparently they're all epic fails so far. But Playbook and Kindle fire are getting some attention now. A lot of people have Playbook on their radar now, and I'm fielding more questions now than any other time since launch.
    11-23-11 06:55 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD