They aren't "bricked" playbooks, they would work wonderfully if you could actually charge them. Look at any retailer with playbooks and nook colors, if they are working they were recently put out if they aren't just tip them up and look at the micro usb slot. They don't hold up to being handled at all. My local Best Buy got so fed up with it they have their playbook on a charger dock, and their color nook just sitting there dark.
    09-15-11 12:06 AM
    Leave Best Buy alone. LOL

I was out last week decided to see if Best Buy has them running. I noticed a few problems...

Consumers are not patient. I witnessed a few walking away from them since they can't figure out how to turn them on!

While majority here don't use the POWER BUTTON, the display units are a problem. If they don't know about the Swipe, they look for the Power Button and guess what. It's a PITA to turn on, I'm guessing they either give up or think it's broken and walk away

Apps. I personally don't care/live without it but again when they want to try/play with it they look for Apps. Need for Speed and Tetris just doesn't cut it. So even if they are running/active, I don't think it would make a difference.

RIM needs to send their people out.
    09-15-11 12:31 AM
    I just had to make my comment about BestBuy-
    My first attempts at using a Playbook were at BB. The device was located in a corner of the cell phone area, I just happened to see it and I like to play with the latest stuff. Well it was attached to one of those theft prevention cords that sounds an alarm if it is pulled or stretched and every time I attempted to pick it up the alarm would go off. The sales kid said that there was something wrong with the cord and he could not do anything about it! So I gave up. Once in awhile I go back and it is properly displayed now except the internet is never connected. A RIM salesperson came through and updated the playbook and it works much better. The sales people do not sell the Playbook but divert attention from it to the Asus Transformer or Samsung tablet. You can hardly get any advice or a demonstration of the product. My first real good experience with the Playbook was at Staples after it was updated. I could not believe how well it worked! I take the time out to show anybody looking over my shoulder how the swiping motions work now. Sometimes I leave it with a Youtube music video streaming if the internet is on, or I leave a message document saying "try me" open? I am beginning to feel like the Playbbook is getting buried by all the other tablets coming out on the market and that the sun is setting for its acceptance. RIM has a product that filled the small form factor perfectly and with no competition. It has squandered the lead by not providing access to the Android app market and not marketing it properly- go look at the Apple devices they are always working perfectly and in the best display area. By the way I hate BestBuy and will not buy nothing from them even if it is half off. I just go to look.
    kbz1960 and black hole like this.
    09-15-11 08:13 AM
    At least the pic on this thread had em on some kind of display. My Local Best Buy had one device in a closed display case, still in the box with no accompanying literature or a price. The Staples 2 miles away had 1 or 2 in stock and didn't even have it on display.
    Don't see a connection with sales being down at Staples as forementioned with Best Buy. Might just be this 7" toy is just not lighting up the marketplace.

When I asked a Verizon employee in a busy store why they didn't have the Bold on display and was answered "your the first person that asked about it today" (it was 4pm), a different message might be in the wind. RIM is meeting the same people on the way down that they met on the way up and the free-fall has no cushion!
    09-15-11 08:41 AM
    Hard for anyone that isn't in the know to ask about something they don't see.
    09-15-11 09:41 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD