A fellow in my area, who "won" a 64GB PB in some kind of contest, wanted to sell it. I negotiated the price to $225 provided the unit was un-opened and factory-sealed.

When we met to execute the transaction, the seller opened the Fedex box in front of me and handed over the PB to me. The PB was in original packaging and had both the factory seals intact on either side of the box, so I bought it at the agreed upon price. The date on the side sticker is April 17, 2011.

Everything looked exactly like my 16G bought from SBB a month ago and I believe this is a brand new unit. After opening I confirmed the screen had the transparent plastic film. After firing up the PB, updating, and registering etc. I made sure the serial # is same on the box, at the bottom of the unit, and in the "about" section in the unit. I checked all ports work fine. I made sure it indeed is a 64Gigs... nothing appears out of place. I want to check for dead pixels but I dont know how to.

What else should I check on the unit? If anything goes wrong, will it be covered by warranty since I am not the original purchaser?

Thanks!!!
    01-09-12 03:22 PM
    check your marbles... you sound kinda paranoid

and you will be covered under a warranty if purchase date and usually the source can be confirmed.
    mokeikoberry likes this.
    01-09-12 03:28 PM
    check your marbles... you sound kinda paranoid

and you will be covered under a warranty if purchase date and usually the source can be confirmed.
    LOL

I think I still have the Fedex box in my truck; it has the bill of sale and ship-from address stickers on it.... so I guess am good. Thanks.
    01-09-12 03:35 PM
    yeah as long as you have the bill of sale
    the warranty will be from that day
    unless you can work them in to thinking its a 'christmas present'
    then it could start on Dec 25th.
    fj_cruiser likes this.
    01-09-12 03:54 PM
    Don't forget to register your new Playbook to get the 90-day expert support (it will actually tell you when the unit was sold).

As for checking for dead pixels, you can use Screen Helper free.
    fj_cruiser likes this.
    01-09-12 05:15 PM
    Don't forget to register your new Playbook to get the 90-day expert support (it will actually tell you when the unit was sold).

Other than the initial on-screen update and entering BB ID etc. I havent registered it. How do you register and where do you see the units sold date?

Thanks!
    01-09-12 05:19 PM
    Here is the link:

PlayBook Technical Support Phone Number - PlayBook Help Phone

See where it says "Direct support for BlackBerry PlayBook tablet" and " Tablet Serial Number Submit" (almost on the bottom of the page).

It will show you how many of the original 90 days of the service you have left.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 01-09-12 at 05:33 PM.
    fj_cruiser likes this.
    01-09-12 05:22 PM

It will show you how many days of the original 90 days of the service you have left.
    Thanks for the link! Just registered it. And it said I have 87 days of support remaining. So I guess it was sold very recently.
    01-09-12 05:33 PM
    $225 for a 64gb playbook? Wow.. That's a steal!
    01-09-12 05:41 PM
    There is a post on what to check for in tips for newbies sticky linked below this post in my sig line.vvvv

Second post down "open the box! Check it out!"
    fj_cruiser likes this.
    01-09-12 05:42 PM
    Thanks for the link! Just registered it. And it said I have 87 days of support remaining. So I guess it was sold very recently.
    You are welcome. Welcome to the forum.
    fj_cruiser likes this.
    01-09-12 05:42 PM

Thanks for the tip! I checked and everything's good.
    01-09-12 06:28 PM
    $225 for a 64gb playbook? Wow.. That's a steal!
    It is! I usually check craigslist just to find out about the going rate of "stuff" in the resale market and stumbled upon this post.... And in case of the PB, I think people aren't aware of the power of this little beast....
    01-09-12 06:47 PM
    I actually got my 64Gb for $230+tax as well. From Best Buy. Had to fight with them though. Not a crazy deal considering the current $299 price point, but still good.
    fj_cruiser likes this.
    01-09-12 07:09 PM
    if you want to check for dead pixels download screen helper lite in the app world, it helps you find dead pixels and can even fix it, but even if you do find one i recommend you return it for a new one
    fj_cruiser likes this.
    01-09-12 08:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD