What else can you tell about that Torque app? My friend has a 1998 Suburu and I've a 2000 Subaru. Would this diagnose or show the reason for the Check Engine light? I see they mention a wifi contraption available from Amazon. I am far from a "car" guy! Cars were not the IN thing when I was growing up in the Bronx. I think my question goes okay with the broad intention of this thread.
    It can read error codes, provide real time data from a number of sensors built into your car, compare sensor data with playbook sensor data (gps speed vs speedometer speed, etc), display mileage info, provide guages that may not be standard (i.e. A tachometer, oil, etc) based on what sensors are available to the OBD port in your car. Pretty sweet.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    07-25-13 01:39 PM
    Torque is a great idea- I didn't know it existed?! What wifi Dongle are you using?
    I'm using a Vgate OBDII wifi Dongle, search for it on Amazon.. think it ran about 30 bucks.

07-25-13 01:42 PM
    I'm using a Vgate OBDII wifi Dongle, search for it on Amazon.. think it ran about 30 bucks.
    Good info - it's a while since I looked into this - what's the status with torque? Is it sideloaded, or available as a "native" app?
    07-25-13 02:47 PM
    Did you really miss the part where I said I use my PlayBook daily? I just finished watching the latest hangout on it. Even better, scroll back up and read my 1st reply.
    You sir, don't know me. Don't make assumptions. I am neither defending nor attacking anyone here.(And if you do want to know me, do PM! I'm always up for a friendly chat. ^^)
    Yet, in your first post:

Anyone still using a PlayBook two years from now, considering how fast technology moves and how cheap hardware ia getting, would either be too broke to care or too dumb to upgrade.
    I found that offensive, and commented back. Based on conjecture, you have bought into a disposable model of consumerism. It's the too dumb comment that invalidated your point.
    07-25-13 03:26 PM
    Good info - it's a while since I looked into this - what's the status with torque? Is it sideloaded, or available as a "native" app?
    In BBworld - about $5.00. I don't know if it is an Android port or full native. Screen shots did not reveal Android status bar.

Just ordered the widget which went up in price since I looked the other day.
    07-25-13 04:23 PM
    Based on conjecture, you have bought into a disposable model of consumerism. It's the too dumb comment that invalidated your point.
    Well not only that.

I have, personally, 4 tablets, currently. 2 Android, 2 PlayBook, and there is a HP TouchPad in the household.

A few years back, I bought an Archos 705 WiFi (think of it as a thick, chunky, metal bodied, touchscreen media player, with an 8" touchscreen, 80G hard drive, and capable of light / WiFi browser usage). Although I used it a fair amount for watching video on, Archos also made a head restraint mounted harness for it, so it served a great purpose keeping kids entertained in the car on journeys.

Since I've had various tablets, it's largely fallen into disuse. However, in the past week or so, it's had a revival - my youngest wanted to have it in the car, for a journey, a few days back, and I'd been looking to use something in the gym when I do cardio several times a week. When I just used conventional gym bikes, I was using my PlayBook, but the upright bikes aggrivate my hip, so I've been mainly using recumbent bikes in the gym - no place to stash my PlayBook to watch something where I can be sure it won't fall off (and yes, these machines all have TV screens, but I prefer to watch something I'm interested in, so that it distracts me away from the pain and effort and I don't let my intensity drop). Anyways, to cut a long story short, the car head-restraint harness thing for my Archos 705 is a perfect fit to use on one of these gym bikes.

So now I'm using a device from around 2007 / 2008 for multimedia usage, pretty much daily. Now true enough, some of that is due to logistics. The screen isn't quite as pleasant as my PlayBook, or more modern AV devices - but all the same, it's now getting regular use again - which is something I appreciate, because I like to feel I'm getting value for money for the devices I've bought - not just dismiss or dump them in the name of fashion.

edit: may well make greater use of it - it actually has an in-built stand, front stereo speakers, and also provides internet radio. And as one of the stations I normally listen to isn't currently working on Nobex (ie on the PlayBook) this device is providing internet radio duties in place of my PlayBook(s) at present.
    Last edited by Wongsky; 07-26-13 at 06:32 AM.
    07-25-13 05:01 PM
    I have to dive under my dash today and see if I can find the socket!
    Probably near the stearing column. It is government mandated to be easy to reach/find.
    07-26-13 11:00 AM
    Probably near the steering column. It is government mandated to be easy to reach/find.
    Ah, like of like my former paycheck - the feds mandated it was easy to reach and find and TAX! Now, it's my Soc Sec they are after! I did go looking for a maintenance manual but they seem to be paid-for manuals.
    07-26-13 02:35 PM

Thanks Rustmonkey- I had actually ordered the dongle before your reply....luckily I ordered the right one. I expect it here Monday, can't wait to try it out!
    Thanks again for your post! This is what makes these forums so good.
    rustmonkey likes this.
    07-27-13 07:58 PM
    Regarding using PB as an OBDII display.

Years ago, I bought an elm interface that allowed me to do that on my old laptop that had a serial port. It would also work on my Compaq iPaq 3670 (and still will). Software I used was Digimoto (defunct I think, but still works) and the free Scantool app.

I also have a basic OBDII handheld code reader. If I get a check engine light, I use that. The otehr stuff, I just played with for a week or so and since then it has gathered dust. If you want to read codes buy a cheap OBD gauge at Harbor Freight or Princess Auto and forget the Playbook!

The OBD port only gives limited information, mainly to do with engine health for emissions. (In many jurisdiction, emission testing is now done by just connecting to OBD port and reading out engine data. If you get message regarding transmission, chassis, brake or anything not engine related, the OBD reader tells you nothing.

This site is a good one for OBD stuff: ScanTool.net LLC - Scan Tools, PC, iPhone, & Android based OBD-II (OBD2) Interfaces, OBD diagnostic software
    07-27-13 09:18 PM
    Good point playbook_swiper1. I mean, when was the last time anyone really used a device to it's full potential (upgrading before we even explore all the features), and for as long as it lasts? I know Moore's law is at play here, but we also have to stop and think/ debate about the planned obsolescence!
    10-24-13 02:00 PM
    Anyone still using a PlayBook two years from now, considering how fast technology moves and how cheap hardware ia getting, would either be too broke to care or too dumb to upgrade.

EDIT: in all fairness, I should add "uses the PlayBook as a secondary device that complements maybe a smartphone and is happy with how the combo works".

And this comes from an early adopter that still uses his PlayBook daily.

Two years. That would make the PlayBook 4 years old. Do we really wanna keep hardware that old when Galaxy Tab 9s, Nexus 6s and iPad 5s (and maybe even a few BlackBerry tablets) are available?

Posted via CB10
    Right ..... so by using your logic anyone who drives a four year old car is a moron and is too lazy to upgrade ? How about a four year old TV ?

I'm glad I'm not a mindless unthinking consumer like yourself. Only delusional and misguided fools embrace the "must have it now mentality" because they feel so insecure and hopeless if they don't have the latest stuff.

Conditioning at its finest - and the corporations just love such sheeple.
    10-25-13 04:10 AM
    Right ..... so by using your logic anyone who drives a four year old car is a moron and is too lazy to upgrade ? How about a four year old TV ?

I'm glad I'm not a mindless unthinking consumer like yourself. Only delusional and misguided fools embrace the "must have it now mentality" because they feel so insecure and hopeless if they don't have the latest stuff.

Conditioning at its finest - and the corporations just love such sheeple.
    There's a good point in all of this. I've had several gadget type devices over the years, and my mobile handset always tends to be reasonably contemporary, as I'm a contract customer, so tend to get a new handset with each contract. So my current handset is a Z10, previously I had a Nokia N8 for a couple of years, and I still use that as my work handset, now - so that's getting on a bit, but in fairness, compares very favourably with the Z10 on many things - and with a gun to my head, and made to choose one? I'd still pick the N8.

In addition, I've had tablets for a few years, now. First bought an Android tablet, 10", budget type thing, based on fairly good reviews and hardware spec. It was thoroughly decent for my needs, and I bought a spare (used) one as a backup whilst it was my main tablet. When the PlayBook prices were established as having dropped significantly, I bought one (September 2012). And very happy I was with it. It wasn't completely perfect - nothing ever is - there were still the odd few things I couldn't do with it, compared with my previous Android tablet(s), but all the same, it largely took over for my tablet usage. I bought a second PlayBook, some months later, as a spare / secondary, at an even better price than previous.

Here's the thing, though, I still sometimes use my aging Android tablet(s) - sometimes it's because there's the odd app I want to use that isn't on / available for my PlayBook(s), sometimes because of the bigger screen, and sometimes - well I'm not truly sure, perhaps just for a change. But before all that - in fact some years previous - I had an Archos 705 WiFi, which for those unfamiliar, is a metal bodied, hard drive based, 8" touchscreen (resistive, mind), media player, that also had WiFi capabilities, and a browser. I suppose a bit of a forerunner to what we see as tablets, now - had a few, "apps" if you can call them that, and did OK with minor web use. 80G hard drive in the variant I had (I think there was a version with a 160G hard drive). I had Archos media players before that, too - first one was an AV440 (smaller, 3.8" screen hard-drive based media player / recorder, that was suprisingly versatile). I got my Archos 705 for media / video playback, largely, and also to use in the car, using a headrest case / harness thing. Like the PlayBook, it also has front mounted stereo speakers, and - also like the PlayBook - has a certain build quality and robustness that other tablets could only (metaphorically) dream of.

For a good while, whilst I'd started using tablets, I'd largely abandoned this device, but in recent months, I've started using it more - it's still probably the best solution for kids in the car, since it's much more easy to group a bunch of video together and it'll just play them in a big loop. Of course, the screen isn't quite as nice to look at as the PlayBook - the resolution isn't as high. All the same, it's perfectly decent for video playback, and screens move on all the time, so the PlayBook's screen resolution is hardly cutting edge.

It's not daft, ignorant or poor to use such devices, still - some still do a perfectly decent job. Truth be told, I like a certain degree of longevity in what I buy, tech wise. I know it's got limited consumer shelf life, but it doesn't mean it's got limited useable life. It's not stupid to do so, it's just not being impressionable. Sure, you could jump ship every so often, and spend more money, and you'll likely appreciate some benefits (but not always). Some do simply because they like having new stuff, and it being contemporary, some do because what they use it for, largely drives them to keep spending money on hardware.

Here's the thing, though, personally, I spend and decide to change or move on with hardware when it suits me - not when the market moves on and tries to tell me I need something to replace what I've got. If it's still meeting my needs and I'm generally satisfied, then I tend to keep and use things. Hell, occasionally, I still use portable minidisc players / recorders - although I have to say, it's an increasingly rare thing, these days, but on occasion.
    10-25-13 05:26 AM
    I guess the thing is that unless you're one of those who always rushes out to buy the latest and greatest (odd how so many of those types are obsessed by Apple - but that's an aside) most people do more or less the same thing, which is to carry on using something while it is useable and suits their requirements, and then switches when the lines between dissatisfaction with the current device (there's ALWAYS some dissatisfaction) and desire for something new and what that offers cross. We all do that, it just arrives at different points.

I'm a little way away from that right now. But it will happen.
    10-25-13 06:20 AM
    Alternatively, some people actually prefer to utilize a device until it physically dies. Just because you buy into the "disposable" society concept doesn't mean we all do. As long at it still performs the functions required of it and keep running, I will use my PlayBook until it can no longer be revived.
    Have a like, I use stuff until its broken or I replace knackered stuff with not as old stuff or cast offs, if its a good make or was a decent spec a few years ago then it will still hold its own with the lower end on newer kit. I'm not a gamer so don't need the latest kit - my laptop has a 2007 sticker inside it and I've had it 3 years or so. durabooks are expensive so second hand machines suit me fine and they survive the abuse I give them. plus I fix and mod them without fear of warranty.

just bought 2 64gb playbooks at 60 quid a piece and expect to use them daily, she wanted something to facebook, email and work on office docs, I wanted something to read books on and watch/listen to media on lunch breaks or in bed. it was worth the money to do that. if I can upcycle it to a workable satnav even better, it will end up as a larger version of the (network blocked) n97 mini I found and fixed up to use as a camera, satnav and music player. that cost 14 quid for a new screen and has been worth every penny even though the browsing experience is dire, my proper phone is an even older 6600 which chugs along making calls, sending txts, taking photos and running elderly tom tom satnav when I'm route planning.

with the playbooks I am still loading apps up to see which are any good and which work properly then I'll wipe it and start again. used in conjunction with my laptop it has allready been rather usefull although I have been doing too much you tube and reading way too many forum posts for anyone.

older kit usually has decent forum archives to trawl albeit bickery ones, already I've read enough to know that you can change the batteries if needs must and also that they are 22 dollars from china IF you can persuade them to ship to you or 40-50 locally which if it gives another 4 year of use is worth doing provided it gets used but if it only lasts 2 years then I still wont regret the 60 quid.

most likely I'll work out a way of externally powering with AA batteries it to use while camping or strap it to a solar power bank.

anything is possible if you have the imagination and are daft enough. the east germans kept the atari 800 8 bit going until well after the wall came down doing things the original programmers didn't think it capable of.

I bought a wii because she wanted one, it never gets used for games now next doors kids have grown up a bit so I hacked it about a bit and mainly use it to access and play media from my 8tb of NAS or iplayer onto my 10 year old crt TV.

technology is a funny thing, you get scorned for having older well used bits of kit by those who have only just jumped onto the bandwagon with the latest wizzo item which they will never use to it's full potential . I still listen to proper battery driven mp3 player loaded with 48kbps wma files because I can fit more on it and having grown up with walkmans the music still sounds better.
    11-10-13 04:04 AM
    I still use mine every day to read news in the morning from various mobile-friendly websites, and a couple apps. It is basically my morning newspaper. One use I would like to have is to use it as a baby monitor or security type camera, making use of an IP camera. Haven't found anything that does the trick yet though.
    11-10-13 05:27 PM
    You can use the BlackBerry PlayBook as a notebook replacement if you have already migrated to services provided by third-parties.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    11-10-13 06:55 PM
    one thing I am going to play at with the eye to my dad is using it to smart up a TV, add a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and he gets simple internet.

if the batteries do die then its might be a simple way of extending its lifespan in another format and better than using it as a digital picture frame.

@fschmeck - as a baby monitor then with two playbooks you can use the video call option to link them or a bluetooth webcam in the same house. I saw some web pages related to upcycling old smartphones as security cameras a week or two back. I'll see if I can find them.

has anyone found an enhanced screen keyboard? the lack of TAB is most annoying.
    11-11-13 02:23 AM
    I have two Playbooks at my house and me and my girlfriend use it daily and I don't think well stop using them anytime soon. We play games on it, listen to radio, watch videos, read news and books, we leave one on the power charger stand showing the weather and time. So it still works for us very well.

When I think about buying a new tablet there's not enough advantages yet to make me do an upgrade. The new iPad Mini with Retina Display would be perfect ... but for what? Our Playbooks already have everything we need. The new Nexus 7? Also an amazing product but it won't help us much either.

The only thing we are really missing is good banking apps and wireless video. If the Playbook is compatible with Chrome Cast, it would last even longer for us!
    11-11-13 03:27 AM
    Uhm paper weight?
    11-11-13 03:49 AM
    You can use it to run torque app in your car

Z30, and yes, it's a bit on the heavy side...
    11-11-13 06:16 AM
    diegonei;8849694]Anyone still using a PlayBook two years from now, considering how fast technology moves and how cheap hardware ia getting, would either be too broke to care or too dumb to upgrade.[/BOX]

Twp years from now the PB functionality will probably still work for me. To each his own.

EDIT: in all fairness, I should add "uses the PlayBook as a secondary device that complements maybe a smartphone and is happy with how the combo works".

Like I said . . . .

And this comes from an early adopter that still uses his PlayBook daily.

Two years. That would make the PlayBook 4 years old. Do we really wanna keep hardware that old when Galaxy Tab 9s, Nexus 6s and iPad 5s (and maybe even a few BlackBerry tablets) are available?

Maybe.We all have different needs. Let me five you an analogy: just because your present car does not have a rear back-up camera, lane changing sensors, turbocharged hybrid, etc. etc doesn't mean you should switch cars as long as your present one does the job for you and is not draining on your wallet. In other words, you can still enjoy it.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 03:54 PM
    Shell out bucks for a BB stand/charger and have the best wi/fi alarm clock ever. Wake up to your favorite podcast. The speakers are more than ample for an alarm clock. There is a great app for alarm clocks, btw.
    11-13-13 01:14 PM
    Why do we always have to have the latest and newest of everything? It's the Apples and BBs that have brainwashed us into thinking that.

I have several cars. The newest is 15 yrs old. Another is over 40 yrs old. They run well and are arguably better than current models with latest technology.

My laptop uses Win7. I have no desire for Win8 replacement. I have an XP desktop that still works fine, although only used for tasks that only run on XP.

I would love to see an update for PB. But if not, find a use for it long term as is. Most likely as ereader. If it didn't hibernate in 5 min, I could use it as chart plotter gps on boat. If it ran Skype, it would be more useful
    I am so with you on this. I still have 4 VCRs, so I can tape several programs at once for free instead of paying for the interenet 'record'.
    I also have a 10 yr old PC w/explorer. Use it for sideloading, etc., but mainly use my playbook.
    I don't belong to the 'get the newest thing out' club. I would be bankrupt by now.
    11-13-13 01:43 PM
    Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 02:17 PM
83 1234