I've had the Playbook for a while now, but I've never really gotten the use of bridging it with my phone. I'm just wondering how everyone else uses that feature, maybe I can find a way to use it as well. Share!
    07-19-12 08:11 AM
    I use it for typing / bbm and Internet connection when not near wifi.
    07-19-12 08:16 AM
    I constantly use it for the internet connectivity, tethering my playbook through T-Mobile requires an additional charge. In fact, being able to bridge (and go online through my existing plan) is in my opinion the best thing about the playbook.
    bb624 and cmdr_dan like this.
    07-19-12 08:36 AM
    As Ben mentioned, I've used it when I'm not near a wifi location. I've not really used the REMOTE function.
    07-19-12 09:01 AM
    Bridge for internet, but that means you have to carry a PB around, which means you have to carry a bag unless you have really big pockets. Why go through the trouble when you can just get online with your phone?
    07-19-12 09:06 AM
    I use the bridge for just about everything. email and PIM so i don't have to have it setup on the playbook, BBM, web browsing when not in a wifi area, remote control of the playbook when i have it hooked up to my TV to do stuff with the family (movies, etc), Poynt has bridge integration which i have used also.
    07-19-12 09:10 AM
    Internet connectivity. Whenever and wherever I like it, without paying extra. Gotta love that.
    07-19-12 09:16 AM
    Bridge for internet, but that means you have to carry a PB around, which means you have to carry a bag unless you have really big pockets. Why go through the trouble when you can just get online with your phone?
    I carry my PB in a netbook bag and use bridge to connect it online during my train commute to work. The feature was the biggest reason for me purchasing a PB. It didn't disappoint.

At home, I use bridge for the remote control feature. I use this quite a bit for viewing media on the HDTV.
    rotorwrench and Hgouck like this.
    07-19-12 09:16 AM
    I travel a lot. Use Bridge for:

• Remote control in hotel rooms (haven't used the TV tuner in a hotel in a long time)
    • Internet access outside WiFi zone - this gets used a lot. I have a grandfathered unlimited plan on AT&T and would lose it if I got a tethering/hotspot plan.
    • WiFi on airplanes - connect with my phone and bridge to my PB (that way I have BBM access on my PB).
    rhondaken likes this.
    07-19-12 09:29 AM
    I use it for typing / bbm and Internet connection when not near wifi.
    Same Here.
    07-19-12 09:34 AM
    Hands down one of the coolest features. I mainly use my Bridge to access the remote control, particularly when I need to take notes, and use my 9930 keyboard as the external keyboard. And of course internet when there's no Wi-Fi connection. Usually I just use my 9930 to browse the internet, but sometimes you want that bigger screen. Also, the ability to open attachments and pictures sent to my 9930 and open it on to the Playbook.

Now, I'm just waiting for RIM to make a game controller remote so I can control Playbook games such as Lara Croft and Sonic 4 better
    07-19-12 09:36 AM
    Because I do not like surfing/doing much online on such a small screen. I always tethered to my lappy when away also for the same reason. The screen could 5" on my phone which would make my phone too big for me and still too small to enjoy the Web.

I mostly use it for access to the Web.
    07-19-12 10:27 AM
    If you don't see the value in carrying one around, why did you buy a PB? More to the point, why would you waste your time and ours by whinging about your perceived general uselessness of a PB in response to a serious question about using it?
    rotorwrench and JerBru like this.
    07-19-12 10:51 AM
    I carry my PlayBook with me often because of how convenient it is to Bridge for data on the go. I use Bridge at home, so that I have access to my phone's messages instantly, while I'm using the PB. I also really like the remote feature and use it while HDMId and for typing long emails or comments. It is often used for the "open on PlayBook" feature to view videos and articles that I want to spend more time with. Bridge is a must have for me, going forward.
    07-19-12 11:12 AM
    Before native email was available I used the bridge for email all the time. For me I really had no issues with playbook launching with out native email because the bridge worked awesome. Never worried about handing over playbook to anyone. Just turned off the bridge and all was secure.

I bridge for BBM (although a little laggy at times).
    I bridge for memo app on Phone.
    I bridge to access music, pictures and files on phone.
    I bridge for Internet connection on the go (take my playbook almost every where).
    I bridge for remote control (I've made presentations at work through playbook using HDMI and phone as remote).

One thing I don't use is the remote keyboard function on the phone. I have a torch 9860 so no benefit there, but if I was sporting a Bold I definitely would use it.

Bridge is awesome! I have an unlimited BB data plan but unfortunately Bell charges extra for tethering so I just bridge for Internet with no extra charges.

Happy bridging!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-19-12 07:39 PM
    My pb and phone are constantly bridged. Since most of my music was already on the phone, it's cool that I don't have to do reinstall to access on my pb. I find it easier to triage email on the pb's larger screen. Oh, and being able to click "view on playbook" for pics and Web pages comes in handy.
    07-19-12 08:00 PM
    Use #1: Bridging internet from my 9900 to my PlayBook at no additional cost. Secure internet on my Tablet on-the-go at no additional cost is a big plus for me. I don't rely on looking for unsecure wifi hotspots to check my various online financial accounts and I don't have to pay my mobile carrier extra money to connect my PlayBook to use my already existing mobile data service.

Use #2: Bridging at home displaying my PlayBook on my HDTV and controlling all functions from my couch via using my Bold 9900 as a remote (especially internet browsing and photo sharing when we have family over). Maybe other tablets can be displayed via HDTV, but how many can be controlled with a smartphone as a remote controller?

Use #3: Bridging at Work. My company blocks the internet from accessing anything related to sports, but I love to listen to ESPN Radio, so streaming the live audio is possible when I access the ESPN radio website via Bridge. Sure, other tablets may have an ESPN App, but I guess the PlayBook doesn't need an app for something that can be accessed through the main website.
    07-19-12 10:36 PM
    Same Here.
    +2........
    07-19-12 11:15 PM
    Everyday I use Bridge. I don't use the native mail so, Bridge its always on. I use it for my mail, BBM, notes, contacts and calendar, I open files (xls, doc, pictures, pdf) that I have on my BB to check them out on my PB screen I modify them and save them back again on my BB, I use it as a remote when I want to navigate the Web on my 48" tv screen trhu my PB, and whenever I'm outside and I need an Internet connection!!!
    Oh man... Without Bridge my PB would be a toy!!!!
    07-20-12 10:29 AM
    Pretty much used it for email my PlayBook was running OS 1.0.8

Since then my BlackBerry Bridge uses are mainly to access BlackBerry Messenger, remote control (very handy when connected via HDMI), internet access when out of WiFi range (Or in range of super capped WiFi networks *cough* university *cough*

Also open on PlayBook is a nice featuree along with bridge files to access files that are on the microSD but not on the BlackBerry PlayBook.
    07-21-12 05:00 AM
    I use it for convenience, in that I primarily use my Playbook for "reading" (e-reader app, Taptu for newsfeed/RSS subscriptions, Zinio for magazine subscriptions and I even have my textbook on there!) I will sit and read for a few hours each night, and I turn Bridge on so that every time I get an incoming message, I don't have to put my Playbook down, pick up my other device, reply, then put my other device down and pick up the Playbook again. Efficient and simple
    Hgouck likes this.
    07-21-12 09:41 AM
    I'm just wondering how everyone else uses that feature, maybe I can find a way to use it as well.
    I use the BlackBerry Bridge to step over the trolls. But sometimes it's just too much fun splashing in the water.
    07-21-12 10:47 AM
    Well for me when I'm at work at least I always carry a notebook for jotting things down so now that I have something way more functional I just take my PlayBook in the convertible case. So when out and about I'm bridged for data connectivity and sharing information between it and my Bold and when At home I bridge it up for extensive typing and for remote control functionality. Bridge is great and for me 1/2 the use of the PlayBook is due to it.

I don't carry a bag for it or anything. Just toss it under my arm and go go go all day long. When I get to my next destination I set it down there to use it and pick it up on my way out the door.

And I get #*!$ done
    Last edited by axllebeer; 07-21-12 at 01:18 PM.
    07-21-12 01:12 PM
    In short, I use the bridge app for all the reasons discussed so far. I am in the field most of the time without WiFi. Being able to get specifications on products, view and respond to text (using SMS Bridge) and emails, open files stored on my phone on he bigger screen so customers can see, and taking notes on changes to jobs and sending them immediately back to my office for pricing is very beneficial.
    When I am in the office or at a customers home I can hook up the playbook to thier TV (through HDMI ) and use the remote to control my presentation.
    The bridge app is why I bought the Playbook.
    07-21-12 03:30 PM
    In short, I use the bridge app for all the reasons discussed so far. I am in the field most of the time without WiFi. Being able to get specifications on products, view and respond to text (using SMS Bridge) and emails, open files stored on my phone on he bigger screen so customers can see, and taking notes on changes to jobs and sending them immediately back to my office for pricing is very beneficial.
    When I am in the office or at a customers home I can hook up the playbook to thier TV (through HDMI ) and use the remote to control my presentation.
    The bridge app is why I bought the Playbook.

SMS bridge??? Am I missing something?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    07-21-12 05:10 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD