The leaked images of the pre-release BB10 phone clearly show that the UI is different from PBOS. Do you think those will be separate OSs (different UIs) or will we still have an unfragmented OS? If latter, how do you think the PBOS UI will change?

I personally hope the two will converge to resemble what we have now on the Playbook.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-13-12 at 08:46 PM.
    02-13-12 08:40 PM
    It's sexy and it knows it.

IDGAF!! It's iPhone with BBM. That's all I care about. As long GPS works, then I am doooooooooooooown! WAHOOOOOOOOO.

*Note - it isn't an iPhone, but the iPhone was the first to really get it right, and therefore, everything else has tried to mimic it. iOS is great, and I hope BB10 can match it. Go marketing!
    02-13-12 08:46 PM
    It looks great. Let's roll it out on the PB and get to testing.
    02-13-12 09:11 PM
    I think it looks really good. They are on the right track here.

Yes, I hope it's the same UI on the PB eventually. This is a UI that developers and designers can excited about.

It looks like on the phone call screen, they accidentally used the iPhone status bar instead of the BB10 status bar, which means that screen is just a mockup still. But that's OK, the design is at least on the right track.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 02-13-12 at 09:23 PM.
    02-13-12 09:20 PM
    The leaked images of the pre-release BB10 phone clearly show that the UI is different from PBOS. Do you think those will be separate OSs (different UIs) or will we still have an unfragmented OS? If latter, how do you think the PBOS UI will change?

I personally hope the two will converge to resemble what we have now on the Playbook.
    i think what they mean is that the OS's are unfragmented bases with screen type/size suited GUI's for the phones and playbooks; As well i have doubt that the Playbooks UI will change much but thats based on how much i like it
    02-13-12 09:26 PM
    There is probably going to be a few changes before it comes out. Looking good but I am currently looking forwarded to pb OS 2.0, we will know more after this.

Supposed to be one OS, So I am liking what I see.
    02-13-12 09:31 PM
    i think.... its vaporware.

We will be lucky to see it in 2012 at all now.
    02-13-12 09:37 PM
    I'm seeing complaints already that it looks like this OS or that OS. From what I see, it's an improvement from what we BlackBerry enthusiasts already love. Yes I know we are playing catch up. You can only kick that dead horse so much. It's bringing a better user experience and I look forward to that.
    02-13-12 09:50 PM
    I hope they follow-through on what they talked about in presentations...deep integration...flow...easy to use...innovative...swiping OS (playbook)

I think 'they' shouldn't make pictures of next gen UI's on current gen phones...

I like the BB10 UI pictures...the 'simple' grid of apps is 'old' but we don't know how this UI works (flows)...I think the 'meaningless' arrangement of apps on a screen is 'old' and annoying
    artie likes this.
    02-13-12 09:58 PM
    I think it looks like every other smartphone on the market so far. It will all come down to content. Will they have a lot of content when they drop ? Will Android release 20 phones in the meantime that are superior ? Only time will tell i guess. This will be the most important release in RIM's history. Will it stand out as a classy, well made product ?

So many questions and a whole shwack load of time till they release 1 single phone with BB10 at the end of the year.

I like what i see tho. Problem is i want it now like everyone else.
    02-13-12 10:06 PM
    "You can only kick that dead horse so much", good one i like it
    02-13-12 10:15 PM
    I think it won't look anything like it currently does now....not even remotely close ....
    02-13-12 10:20 PM
    A step forward in the right direction this time
    02-13-12 10:25 PM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Want it now!!! .. but will settle for Playbook 2.0 in the coming days!!!!!!
    02-13-12 10:30 PM
    I actually liked the first UI concept (the silver London). But if the future BB10 phones offer the ease of use comparable to what we have on the Playbook, I will get one fore sure.
    DAnklaud and rotorwrench like this.
    02-13-12 10:36 PM
    I think it looks really good. They are on the right track here.

Yes, I hope it's the same UI on the PB eventually. This is a UI that developers and designers can excited about.

It looks like on the phone call screen, they accidentally used the iPhone status bar instead of the BB10 status bar, which means that screen is just a mockup still. But that's OK, the design is at least on the right track.
    I'm pretty sure this points more towards the pdf Kevin received being a fake. I've looked at the images pretty closely now and there are a few things I can't get past.

Image 1:
    1. The solid bar at the bottom. In PlayBook OS this has been translucent so far. It appears you can see the grass through just a little bit at the top of the solid bar, but this isn't remotely similar to whats in play on PlayBook OS 1, or 2. (Yes I know its different but still....)
    2. If we look at the widgets, each has a name along the bottom with an Icon. The music icon, the maps icon, and the phone icon don't match anything seen in the other images. It would seem strange to me to make a different icon for the same app.

Image 2:
    1. The information given in the top bar is less than what is currently given on the PlayBook or OS7.x devices. If we're to believe this will be more like the PlayBook I would think the Date would be displayed under the time, and the Alarm Clock neatly beside the time and above the date. The type of network the phone is connected to should be displayed H+, HSPA, EDGE, etc. Also higher resolution icons would make more sense, even just adding in the colour coding from the PlayBook for the Wi-Fi connectivity and Battery Meter would make sense.
    2. The bottom left corner of the screen looks rather screwed up compared to the first image, this could be due to 'glare' on that side of the phone but it looks wrong. Also the bleed in of the background into the solid bar at the bottom, that might be present in the first image, isn't present whatsoever in the second.
    3. On the right hand side of the phone, above the top finger, the part of the phone that is receiving glare is suddenly edited out. This seems like a pretty basic mistake for an advertiser to make. I'm not sure why they erased part of the phone.
    4. Some of the icons look worse than what is currently on the PlayBook, the calculator, BBM, and even the Browser icon doesn't look as good.
    5. Why is there a phone app if there a dedicated phone button at the bottom? You could argue the same for the current generation of phones, but at least those phones have a physical button vs a software button. Why make two software buttons to bring you to the same place?
    6. One last thing, why are all the Icons in the Folder present on the main screen as well?

Image 3:
    1. This doesn't look remotely as good as whats coming to the PlayBook in OS2.0. This is so basic its painful. The Universal Mailbox in this image does not show LinkedIn, Twitter or Facebook integration, which RIM has been shouting about as of late for OS 2.0.
    2. The two dimensional icons seems like a step back from whats even on OS7.x devices. I know its simple, and sometimes simple is better, but I don't think the acquisition of The Astonishing Tribe was to create two dimensional basic icons.
    3. Having the Date and the Mailbox title on the same line does not fit with what RIM has done in its Phone OS previously, and not with what they're showing for OS2.0 either.

Image 4:
    1. Suddenly the information bar at the top is showing us on AT&T's network. It's also completely flipped from whats showing in the other images. Network and Signal strength have changed sides with the battery indicator, and the PM is now the same font size as the time.
    2. Marina's name and Number appear on a translucent bar, which actually fits to what should be, but deviates from how the home screen appears with a solid bar.
    3. The red hang up button. Why colour now? Everything else has been painfully white, why put colour here? It doesn't fit. The call button wasn't green.

I can't for one minute consider this to be real. If RIM was going to have someone put together an advert for BlackBerry 10 it would be far more polished than this. It would use the hardware that showed up in the last leak, and not old slides Photoshopped with a new UI. Software screenshots would also be provided and not just pieced together like this. This is a blatant fake...
    kennyliu and DAnklaud like this.
    02-13-12 10:42 PM
    I'm a hugh BB fan and I can't believe I'm saying this. WTF were they thinking?

Eww, what happened to the buttonless future. I can't believe they are keeping the five button on the bottom. To me it looks like OS 7 upgraded to OS 8. It looks nothing like the QNX PB which I like so much. Guess there isn't going to be frame swiping.

I hope this is just a prank or a bad nightmare because this doesn't look anything like a big stride in the next generation BB that RIM have been holding off. Yuck!
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-14-12 12:18 AM

Eww, what happened to the buttonless future. I can't believe they are keeping the five button on the bottom. To me it looks like OS 7 upgraded to OS 8. It looks nothing like the QNX PB which I like so much. Guess there isn't going to be frame swiping.

I hope this is just a prank or a bad nightmare because this doesn't look anything like a big stride in the next generation BB that RIM have been holding off. Yuck!
    That's probably what I was thinking when I said I liked the UI in the first leaked images (silver London, see attached).

Buttons? WTF? The charm of the Playbook is in its buttonless operation (read bezel control).

But as I can see, people commenting on the front page are actually liking the "new" UI concept. Probably because most of them don't own a Playbook?
    Attached Thumbnails What do you think about BB10?-bb_london_the_verge2.jpg  
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-14-12 at 12:47 AM.
    02-14-12 12:39 AM
    I cant wait till it comes out. I love how it looks!
    02-14-12 12:50 AM
    looks pretty nice so far, can we haz more of this pweaase?
    02-14-12 12:56 AM
    I'm pretty sure this points more towards the pdf Kevin received being a fake. I've looked at the images pretty closely now and there are a few things I can't get past.

Image 1:
    1. The solid bar at the bottom. In PlayBook OS this has been translucent so far. It appears you can see the grass through just a little bit at the top of the solid bar, but this isn't remotely similar to whats in play on PlayBook OS 1, or 2. (Yes I know its different but still....)
    2. If we look at the widgets, each has a name along the bottom with an Icon. The music icon, the maps icon, and the phone icon don't match anything seen in the other images. It would seem strange to me to make a different icon for the same app.

Image 2:
    1. The information given in the top bar is less than what is currently given on the PlayBook or OS7.x devices. If we're to believe this will be more like the PlayBook I would think the Date would be displayed under the time, and the Alarm Clock neatly beside the time and above the date. The type of network the phone is connected to should be displayed H+, HSPA, EDGE, etc. Also higher resolution icons would make more sense, even just adding in the colour coding from the PlayBook for the Wi-Fi connectivity and Battery Meter would make sense.
    2. The bottom left corner of the screen looks rather screwed up compared to the first image, this could be due to 'glare' on that side of the phone but it looks wrong. Also the bleed in of the background into the solid bar at the bottom, that might be present in the first image, isn't present whatsoever in the second.
    3. On the right hand side of the phone, above the top finger, the part of the phone that is receiving glare is suddenly edited out. This seems like a pretty basic mistake for an advertiser to make. I'm not sure why they erased part of the phone.
    4. Some of the icons look worse than what is currently on the PlayBook, the calculator, BBM, and even the Browser icon doesn't look as good.
    5. Why is there a phone app if there a dedicated phone button at the bottom? You could argue the same for the current generation of phones, but at least those phones have a physical button vs a software button. Why make two software buttons to bring you to the same place?
    6. One last thing, why are all the Icons in the Folder present on the main screen as well?

Image 3:
    1. This doesn't look remotely as good as whats coming to the PlayBook in OS2.0. This is so basic its painful. The Universal Mailbox in this image does not show LinkedIn, Twitter or Facebook integration, which RIM has been shouting about as of late for OS 2.0.
    2. The two dimensional icons seems like a step back from whats even on OS7.x devices. I know its simple, and sometimes simple is better, but I don't think the acquisition of The Astonishing Tribe was to create two dimensional basic icons.
    3. Having the Date and the Mailbox title on the same line does not fit with what RIM has done in its Phone OS previously, and not with what they're showing for OS2.0 either.

Image 4:
    1. Suddenly the information bar at the top is showing us on AT&T's network. It's also completely flipped from whats showing in the other images. Network and Signal strength have changed sides with the battery indicator, and the PM is now the same font size as the time.
    2. Marina's name and Number appear on a translucent bar, which actually fits to what should be, but deviates from how the home screen appears with a solid bar.
    3. The red hang up button. Why colour now? Everything else has been painfully white, why put colour here? It doesn't fit. The call button wasn't green.

I can't for one minute consider this to be real. If RIM was going to have someone put together an advert for BlackBerry 10 it would be far more polished than this. It would use the hardware that showed up in the last leak, and not old slides Photoshopped with a new UI. Software screenshots would also be provided and not just pieced together like this. This is a blatant fake...
    Great analysis. I hadn't even noticed most of the stuff you listed until I went back to the images. Good eye. Now, the images do look like fake to me.
    02-14-12 01:13 AM

You do realize that it's a just a Torch 9860/50 showcasing with most likely just full screenshots of the of an early concept of BlackBerry 10?
    It's not a working phone - notice fake "Carrier", inaccurate date, small inconsistencies, etc.

And the first BlackBerry 10 phone is suppose to look like this:

The BB 10 software we saw today is most likely an early "draft" of BB 10. Some are complaining like it's coming out next week.
    02-14-12 01:24 AM
    That's probably what I was thinking when I said I liked the UI in the first leaked images (silver London, see attached).

Buttons? WTF? The charm of the Playbook is in its buttonless operation (read bezel control).

But as I can see, people commenting on the front page are actually liking the "new" UI concept. Probably because most of them don't own a Playbook?
    I don't know how many times I've read this type of comment... Doesn't anyone actually READ articles? The phone hardware pictured is just a 9850/60 displaying a mock-up of a possible BB10 UI. It's NOT the new BB10 hardware.

There, a little mini-venting to prevent the latest "Man goes postal from rooftop" headline. :-)
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-14-12 01:45 AM
    the first impression is, RIM finally gets us an OS with modern interface!

Good start, RIM guys!
    02-14-12 02:00 AM
    by modern,u means windows phone like interface.i wonder how windows ceo is going to respond to this patent.but for rim,its a fresh new era of bb.at least rim is taking a more modernistic approach now.and its a good thing the oldies up there have stepped down.
    02-14-12 02:52 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD