04-20-13 07:45 AM
237 12345 ...
tools
    Way too many "Network Error" messages when browsing.
    10-14-11 03:48 PM
    Yah whats up with that?
    10-14-11 04:00 PM
    My main issue right now are:

- Lack of quality apps and ecosystem
    - Bridge is still pretty buggy, needs to be more smooth to be really effective, especially with the notifications in the top left. Sometimes I read a message the PB still thinks its unread. As well SMS/MMS needs to be incorporated somehow, otherwise you still need to pick up the phone
    - More customization of the main user interface should be allowed

At the end of the day for me tablets are all about the apps available, I find myself still using my wifes iPad because the apps I need to use are there, if we didn't have an iPad in the house I bet I would use the PB more but because of the lack of basics "highprofile" apps I prefer the the iPad.

Needless to say I hope OS2.0 is the BIZNESS.....otherwise PB
    10-14-11 04:13 PM
    So I've had mine for a couple of days now. I'm overall happy with it, but here are my beefs:

1. No native email app.

I'm very surprised since email seems to be RIM's thing.

2. No straightforward way to download movies to the device for offline viewing.

The widescreen is certainly an indication that RIM envisioned us watching movies on the thing. Yet, they provide no easy way to do it. Yes, there are many ways to stream movies to it, but for a device that is only WiFi-capable - and therefore expected to be offline much of the time - I assumed there'd be plenty of ways to download movies to it.

3. Will not connect to a Bluetooth network.

I have an iPhone 3GS and there is virtually no way to tether the PlayBook to it. And it's not an apple thing: I can tether any windows machine - bluetooth capable or not - to my iPhone and I'm good to go.

4. Apps are lacking

This is not PlayBooks fault, but I wish there were more apps and good quality apps available. Blaq is a great example of great design and functionality. I wish there'd be more apps like that.
    10-14-11 04:15 PM
    Sure are a lot of posts complaining about a lack of things on the PB which it already has.
    10-14-11 04:51 PM
    What network errors? I haven't seen one network error
    10-14-11 04:55 PM
    I hadn't looked into this yet since I've only had my PB a couple weeks, but I do periodically use YM on my phone and desktop, and was looking forward to using it on my PB with the front camera for video chat with my family . . . so is YM not available/supported on PBs? I hope not, but I don't doubt it unfortunately.
    No it is not yet and the web based one doesn't work real well. While everyone thinks it's easy to get everything fast we have to remember that it is a new use for QNX, it hasn't been used in this type of system so far. Things will come if RIM doesn't die or really screws it up with some of their bs thinking.
    10-14-11 04:59 PM
    I really, really, really and can't stress enough the word "REALLY" hate the negative comments and the bad press it gets.

Playbook deserves more lovin' man!
    10-14-11 05:00 PM
    I cannot access my home media server. I have all my media stored on a server in my basement. I can access that media from any computer and game console, but not the PlayBook.

No spell check

No cursor or arrow keys - no way to accurately edit text.
    10-14-11 05:24 PM
    I cannot access my home media server. I have all my media stored on a server in my basement. I can access that media from any computer and game console, but not the PlayBook.

No spell check

No cursor or arrow keys - no way to accurately edit text.
    I think I"ve read on here there are people doing that also.
    10-14-11 05:30 PM
    hmmm lets see

lack of camera flash..... power button...... hmmm i think thats it for me......
    10-14-11 05:50 PM
    My observations: OP posted 2 threads, Things you LOVE and things you DISLIKE. Having said that, seems the DISLIKE thread has almost double the LOVE thread!! Surely some more things good things can said in LOVE thread.

Just an observation.
    10-14-11 05:54 PM
    I would like AC3 audio playback for movies and some sort of Ad-Block for the browser like they have in Firefox. I am always amazed at all the ads cluttering a page, when I'd never see them in my desktop browsing.
    10-14-11 06:38 PM
    I just want developers to make more apps for it. Everything else about the tablet is top notch.
    10-14-11 06:40 PM
    Likes,
    -Doesn't use iTunes
    -Screen
    -Size
    -Bridge
    -etc.

Dislikes,
    -Can't tether unless I tell it to and give it permission to continue. I have a data plan and just want it connected all the time
    -Have to reboot it a lot so that it will connect to my Torch 9800
    -No A2DP
    -No pinch to zoom in emails etc.
    Just Me likes this.
    10-14-11 07:53 PM
    I would like to be able to customize and arrange the way my 2,000+ pics show up on it and more apps and I would have been much happier with it. But now I just want to get rid of it!!!
    10-14-11 07:59 PM
    1) I hate the bulge on the back. It is such a spoiler of the overall great look and feel. It is not only a cosmetic defect but you can't type on the playbook if you place it on a flat surface.

2) My display developed a stuck pixel. Had it been there when I bought the Playbook I would have exchanged it. But now I am past the 14 day Staples exchange period.

3) No Skype, no native IM, no email/calendar. The usual stuff everybody is hoping to get in OS 2.0. I don't care about other apps and games so much though. I use the playbook to browse the net and am hoping to use it for Skype/IM/email.

4) Somewhat poor battery life (5-7 hours on average) considering the Playbook has two rather powerful batteries. IMO, 5,400mah should be more than plenty to power a seven-incher for solid 9-10 hours. Hope OS 2.0 will have some power optimization tweaks.
    10-14-11 08:04 PM
    That kind of bugs me too, but overridden by the convenience of turning it on that way.
    You can always clean it without going bezel to bezel or shut it down first...
    Related to the on/off issue (and, in a way, to the power button), I've been having a bit of an issue come up. I put the playbook in my briefcase in the evening when I head home from the office. Turns out that that little power button (the one we all complained about so bitterly before the upgrade that gave us the soft switch) can actually be hit by accident quite easily. As my briefcase bumps around it almost invariably turns the PB on. Or maybe it somehow mimics a screen swipe. Then, the various movements tend to open and use various apps at random. In general, this doesn't bother me too much - I just shut down everything later on. The problem I have is that this often causes the PB to stay on for extended periods of time, and completely exhausts the battery. I'm actually not sure why it seems so easy to keep the device on - perhaps constant pressure on the screen in my briefcase keeps it turned on. In any event, while I love the ease of getting the device turned on, it might make more sense to have a second stage action needed to actually turn the device on - something like the swipe on the iDevices (no sacrilegious overtones intended)...
    10-14-11 08:15 PM
    Related to the on/off issue (and, in a way, to the power button), I've been having a bit of an issue come up. I put the playbook in my briefcase in the evening when I head home from the office. Turns out that that little power button (the one we all complained about so bitterly before the upgrade that gave us the soft switch) can actually be hit by accident quite easily. As my briefcase bumps around it almost invariably turns the PB on. Or maybe it somehow mimics a screen swipe. Then, the various movements tend to open and use various apps at random. In general, this doesn't bother me too much - I just shut down everything later on. The problem I have is that this often causes the PB to stay on for extended periods of time, and completely exhausts the battery. I'm actually not sure why it seems so easy to keep the device on - perhaps constant pressure on the screen in my briefcase keeps it turned on. In any event, while I love the ease of getting the device turned on, it might make more sense to have a second stage action needed to actually turn the device on - something like the swipe on the iDevices (no sacrilegious overtones intended)...
    Given what you say, unlikely it's the power button. If it can trigger screen activity once on, then something in the case is being detected as human-scale capacitance, and would also be capable of swiping it on. I wonder what it is... would be interesting if you could track it down and let us know.
    10-14-11 08:23 PM
    File sharing not working. Browser is slow with flash and java script on.
    10-14-11 09:42 PM
    I think the PB could improve the way text editing is done the lack of autotext and speel checking often effects my writing on the PB i also find it easier to delete and entire sentence rather than try to reposition the cursor with my thumb perhaps a trackpad on the next genration of PBs would be a welcome addition

PS. Two consecutive spaces will always indicate the end of sentence for me. Unfortunately in the PB world two spaces is still just two meaningless spaces.
    10-14-11 11:46 PM
    I don't own a PlayBook, but it obviously needs native email and all of the other features they promised to release months ago. After using it I can say that it's a pretty nice tablet (smaller screen than I would prefer, but that's just me), but holding out on important features for multiple months is building a bad reputation.
    10-15-11 12:04 AM
    got that right!
    10-15-11 12:08 AM
    Dislikes:
    no auto-correct
    Power Button
    Lack of Developer support.

pretty much sums it up for me, everything else I'm quite happy with.
    10-15-11 12:34 AM
    i hate how the silly features it should have, (like the blinking LED for notifications, auto correct, 0 backlight timeout) it lacks, RIM focuses on facebook 2.0 instead.

and what 'professional grade tablet' doesn't even come with a basic print function, seriously come on now.
    10-15-11 01:25 AM
237 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD