- Still have issues with the browser being slow, stalling and crashing. It crashes a lot on crackberry.com actually
    - Would like a couple more apps - Netflix and Skype would be great, as would google drive
    - Would love to be able to easily access a shared network folder
    - Would love games that supported a bluetooth gamepad
    04-01-13 09:20 AM
    What file system does Playbook support if it doesn't support FAT32? Maybe not exFAT because of Microsoft charges? Certainly supports FAT32 enough to allow file transfer of files from your computer.
    As far as I can see, we have no direct evidence that the PlayBook currently supports FAT or PC / Windows type filesystems (ie FAT, FAT32, NTFS). Because when we see the PlayBook's storage from another device, it's abstracted by network-y means (I suspect by SAMBA) either when doing WiFi file sharing, or USB sharing.

What the PlayBook uses natively? I'd suspect one of the Unix / Linux oft used filesystems, truth be told - but it could be FAT or FAT32, I just figure when it's abstracted for both WiFi and USB file access, it's probably not.

So, currently - unless I've missed something - there's currently no evidence that the PlayBook understands FAT or FAT32 (or NTFS for that matter) in terms of native filesystem support. That it may, or may not, is not borne out by what we see and how it's done.
    04-02-13 03:24 AM
    Lack of USB OTG. This was the only feature I really wanted besides basic internet and reader functionality. When I made the decision to get a PB instead of a similar priced and featured Android tablet, it was based on folks at (then) RIMM saying they were listening and this feature would be right down the pipeline. Two years later and the only thing I use the PB for is web surfing. Few decent apps, and the ones that are good are crippled because the USB port is useless.
    I will never buy another Blackberry product because they ignored a significant, persistent demand from developers and end users for this feature.
    I think competition is good in the market, but Blackberry's products have close to zero in the value add department. Please don't whine about security in your responses...BB security is only useful on the precious few networks who recognize it. I have been shut out of dozens of corporate and municipal networks because BB is not on the list of supported devices. These are lists with Palm and old Windows Mobile on them.
    04-02-13 08:49 AM
    Lack of USB OTG. This was the only feature I really wanted besides basic internet and reader functionality. When I made the decision to get a PB instead of a similar priced and featured Android tablet, it was based on folks at (then) RIMM saying they were listening and this feature would be right down the pipeline. Two years later and the only thing I use the PB for is web surfing. Few decent apps, and the ones that are good are crippled because the USB port is useless.
    I will never buy another Blackberry product because they ignored a significant, persistent demand from developers and end users for this feature.
    I think competition is good in the market, but Blackberry's products have close to zero in the value add department. Please don't whine about security in your responses...BB security is only useful on the precious few networks who recognize it. I have been shut out of dozens of corporate and municipal networks because BB is not on the list of supported devices. These are lists with Palm and old Windows Mobile on them.
    It is interesting that this physically appropriate port that is useless for USB OTG has actually caused more problems than it solves. It allows micro usb cables to be accidentally plugged in upsidedown ruining the usb port on the pb. So, not only has Rimm/bbry failed to provide usb OTG after two years but they created a weak point in the usb port. The only exploit the port is good for is messing up the charging/data port on the pb!
    04-02-13 09:09 AM
    It is interesting that this physically appropriate port that is useless for USB OTG has actually caused more problems than it solves. It allows micro usb cables to be accidentally plugged in upsidedown ruining the usb port on the pb. So, not only has Rimm/bbry failed to provide usb OTG after two years but they created a weak point in the usb port. The only exploit the port is good for is messing up the charging/data port on the pb!
    your plugging it in wrong
    04-02-13 09:39 AM
    your plugging it in wrong
    I'm NOT but plenty of others are or have. It remains both a POTENTIAL feature and flaw. TWO YEARS - where's USB OTG?

Reminds me of a Tale of Two Cities - it was the best of tablets, it was the worst of tablets............. (with apologies to Dickens)
    04-02-13 09:48 AM
    Agreed. I've never plugged it in wrong either, but USB OTG should be easy for them to implement. I mean, those that rooted the PB got it working. So why doesn't RIMM/BBRY just activate it already?! It's so frustrating and I cannot think of any reason why this isn't active by now 2 yrs later.
    04-02-13 09:57 AM
    I'm NOT but plenty of others are or have. It remains both a POTENTIAL feature and flaw. TWO YEARS - where's USB OTG?

Reminds me of a Tale of Two Cities - it was the best of tablets, it was the worst of tablets............. (with apologies to Dickens)
    I know I make sure I plug it in proper each time and I know its been 2 years
    04-02-13 10:05 AM
    Agreed. I've never plugged it in wrong either, but USB OTG should be easy for them to implement. I mean, those that rooted the PB got it working. So why doesn't RIMM/BBRY just activate it already?! It's so frustrating and I cannot think of any reason why this isn't active by now 2 yrs later.
    I've actually read somewhere that usb otg would circumvent the playbooks security on os versions 1 - 2.1, they must of found a workaround for blackberry 10.

on that note I want those app icons and ui environment of bb10 lol
    04-02-13 10:09 AM
    I've actually read somewhere that usb otg would circumvent the playbooks security on os versions 1 - 2.1, they must of found a workaround for blackberry 10.

on that note I want those app icons and ui environment of bb10 lol
    Hmm. I'll have to look into that. I'd like to have a better understanding of how that all works. Partition part of the PB flash storage only for mass storage perhaps.

Time to start hacking!
    04-02-13 10:13 AM
    Hmm. I'll have to look into that. I'd like to have a better understanding of how that all works. Partition part of the PB flash storage only for mass storage perhaps.

Time to start hacking!
    that's why usb otg was so easily acheivable with root, its not that bb couldn't of done it they chose to value security over features until they found a workaround
    04-02-13 10:17 AM
    My biggest dislike of the Playbook was the lack of arrow keys and the lack of a tab key. Most of my work on the Playbook was done in Docs to Go.

I eventually found a work around though. I also found a work around for Skype, Netflix and Hulu and, I can now use Quicken and MS Office.

The solution was the Surface Pro. I don't even look at the Playbook anymore.
    04-02-13 01:14 PM
    My biggest dislike of the Playbook was the lack of arrow keys and the lack of a tab key. Most of my work on the Playbook was done in Docs to Go.

I eventually found a work around though. I also found a work around for Skype, Netflix and Hulu and, I can now use Quicken and MS Office.

The solution was the Surface Pro. I don't even look at the Playbook anymore.
    Did you get the keyboard and make it into a real laptop? Do you run Android apps on it ?
    Basically you got a touch screen laptop which does come apart to make a tablet of sorts.
    04-02-13 02:10 PM
    Did you get the keyboard and make it into a real laptop? Do you run Android apps on it ?
    Basically you got a touch screen laptop which does come apart to make a tablet of sorts.
    Yes, I got the keyboard. No, I don't run anything android on anything I own (never will). My PlayBook has the BB bluetooth mini keyboard. Does that mean it's a touch screen laptop which comes apart to be a tablet of sorts also?
    04-02-13 03:36 PM
    Yes, I got the keyboard. No, I don't run anything android on anything I own (never will). My PlayBook has the BB bluetooth mini keyboard. Does that mean it's a touch screen laptop which comes apart to be a tablet of sorts also?
    No. HTH.

And I think the Microsoft tablets are probably going to be fair players in the market. Problem is - and it's not a case of no bandwagon too slow - there seems to be some carry-over from their desktop OSs in terms of the storage space available as an overhead. I get there ain't no such thing as a free lunch, but all the same, I get how some people do feel cheated that the available storage is nothing like what's given as the storage for the device.

At least when I unwrapped a shiny new 64G PlayBook, a few days back, the available storage space for apps and data, only showed a modest overhead, and even now with all the apps installed that I want (albeit I haven't yet loaded any pictures, music, or video) is still 52.2G. wikipedia says that a 64G Surface Pro will only have around 29G of usable storage space - so it's to be hoped that big price tag, plus all the usable storage space gobbled up by OS and overhead, is worth it in terms of bang-for-buck.
    axllebeer likes this.
    04-02-13 04:00 PM
    Browser speed with Javascript enabled is quite bad.

Apparently selection is comparatively poor.

Apart from the above, I love it.
    04-02-13 04:20 PM
    Lack of USB OTG, slow browser with everything on, and the fact that bridge does not pull whatever ringtone i set on phone. Oh yeh, text selection. Amazing how out of two great features on padballed BBs, the keyboard and the huge text selection, the former amazed while the latter was relatively storm-like.

Also the lack of bridge calling. I care that sometimes i just dont wanna pull that thing out of my tight pants.
    04-03-13 02:26 PM
    No. HTH.

And I think the Microsoft tablets are probably going to be fair players in the market. Problem is - and it's not a case of no bandwagon too slow - there seems to be some carry-over from their desktop OSs in terms of the storage space available as an overhead. I get there ain't no such thing as a free lunch, but all the same, I get how some people do feel cheated that the available storage is nothing like what's given as the storage for the device.

At least when I unwrapped a shiny new 64G PlayBook, a few days back, the available storage space for apps and data, only showed a modest overhead, and even now with all the apps installed that I want (albeit I haven't yet loaded any pictures, music, or video) is still 52.2G. wikipedia says that a 64G Surface Pro will only have around 29G of usable storage space - so it's to be hoped that big price tag, plus all the usable storage space gobbled up by OS and overhead, is worth it in terms of bang-for-buck.
    I have the 128 gb Pro and it shows 110 gb total size and 73 gb available.

I know its an added cost, but it will support up to a 64 gb microsd card.

I also read somewhere that a lot of the space is taken up by a back up copy of Windows 8 that is used to restore the computer if needed. I also read that those files can be copied to cd's and the original files on the Pro can be erased to regain that drive space.

You can also use usb drives. I don't know what the size limit is for those.

Also, I have 2 external drives of 640 gb and 200 gb that I can connect to if needed.

Between all those options, the storage space is really negligible. Really, a 64 gb Pro would have been sufficient.
    04-03-13 02:41 PM
    I can't get a good audio book reader to use while I lie in bed here dying from man flu and it still won't make toast. It also won't bridge with my Z10 but I'm too ill to use it so disregard that comment.
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-03-13 02:46 PM
    the lagness will never end
    04-03-13 09:17 PM
    I dislike the power button on my Playbook(WiFi) version and of course lack of major apps.
    04-03-13 09:37 PM
    I dislike the power button on my Playbook(WiFi) version and of course lack of major apps.
    I disslike that my 32gb has the same recessed button, but my wife's 16gb PlayBook has the nice raised one. And I use mine 10x's more than she does.
    04-03-13 10:00 PM
    Hey if you aren't looking at your PlayBook anymore I'll take that keyboard case off your hands.
    04-03-13 10:03 PM
    The things I dislike about my PB are pretty much the things I dislike about tablets in general. I'd love to be able to do some graphics work on it or a little bit of basic music production, using the same tools I use on my PC (Xara and Orion, if you're interested). i.e. It is too far removed from my computer to be as useful as I would like it to be. I'd also kill to get any kind of Australian TV Guide app for it, I hate using the apps I have on my phone. If I ever get another tablet it will need to be a Wintel device of some kind.
    04-04-13 12:11 AM
    I dislike the browser the most I guess but at the same time I love it because its basically desktop experience.

The thing that sometimes leaves a bad taste in my mouth are the "coming soon" things. Native BBM `cough-BlackBerry10-cough'
    If they never told me about those coming soon features I'd be better off but I DO still use it daily and I DO still just love it.

Oh Btw if you own Diary a day in the life by Xlabs you are in for a treat. 3.0 update with landscape support edit time and location and a sick maps feature.

Buy it if you don't own it already and thank me later

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    04-04-13 12:20 AM
237 ... 678910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD