I'm buying one this afternoon I'm not too happy about the fact that it doesn't have an SD or micro SD port and that it doesn't support USB HOST.
    I'm Ok with not having expandable storage via micro SD, but that said, I'm really itching for USB host. And also I want it to read more than just FAT32. NTFS would make life so much nicer.
    I'm probably Ok without micro SD storage only because I have that on my phone now and that makes up for it.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 03-23-13 at 10:26 PM. Reason: More
    03-23-13 10:15 PM
    Damn I just realized how old this thread is.
    03-23-13 10:27 PM
    It's ok to be HONEST! We are here for you! What changes would you like to see made?
    I dislike one thing only - browser!!! It truly sucks.
    If PB browser was as fast as the one on my Z10 it would have been perfect.
    03-24-13 09:03 PM
    Tablet? What?

• The lack of apps, even though I don't need them. They're nice to have
    • Can't watch videos on the go unless I purchase an app or convert it
    • Browser sucks
    • Tons of promises by BlackBerry, but only to find out that they did a half-assed job
    • Useless without Wi-Fi

Bought a Nexus 7 for $200. Gonna star to use it when I sell this "tablet" for $110.
    03-24-13 09:33 PM
    Tablet? What?

• The lack of apps, even though I don't need them. They're nice to have
    • Can't watch videos on the go unless I purchase an app or convert it
    • Browser sucks
    • Tons of promises by BlackBerry, but only to find out that they did a half-assed job
    • Useless without Wi-Fi

Bought a Nexus 7 for $200. Gonna star to use it when I sell this "tablet" for $110.
    Just to address the 2 highlighted ones, which are pretty damned specious, in my experience - I watch plenty of video on-the-go, and have neither purchased a video app, nor regularly need to convert anything - occasionally, I may have to convert an AC3 audio stream to mp3. Video codec support has been as good as, if not better than any other mobile / portable device I've used.

As to being useless without WiFi - well just like any other tablet then? 'cept the PlayBook allows more tethering options than most others, natively (ie WiFi, bluetooth (generically) or bridge), so that one's a bit dubious, too.
    John Pawling likes this.
    03-25-13 03:24 AM
    Better Support for Navigation Software, Better OS support like BB10 .. right now and not at end of this year.
    03-25-13 04:03 AM
    Just to address the 2 highlighted ones, which are pretty damned specious, in my experience - I watch plenty of video on-the-go, and have neither purchased a video app, nor regularly need to convert anything - occasionally, I may have to convert an AC3 audio stream to mp3. Video codec support has been as good as, if not better than any other mobile / portable device I've used.

As to being useless without WiFi - well just like any other tablet then? 'cept the PlayBook allows more tethering options than most others, natively (ie WiFi, bluetooth (generically) or bridge), so that one's a bit dubious, too.
    Well for you maybe it works. But for me, I can't watch my videos unless I convert all of them, thus useless. As for the WiFi issue, there's a lot I can do on my Nexus 7 without WiFi. Can't be any happier having bought this Nexus 7 for $200. Ya there's a new one coming out in a month or two, but I don't need to have the latest and greatest.
    03-25-13 10:09 AM
    no apps, no apps, no apps
    03-25-13 10:12 AM
    Well for you maybe it works. But for me, I can't watch my videos unless I convert all of them
    Why?

What's the audio and video codecs used, and the container. If you don't know this already, or don't know how to find out, mediainfo is your friend.
    thus useless.
    Rubbish.

Simply rubbish.

Not sure I've yet encountered a portable device with wider codec support out of the box. I suspect your issuse is either AC3 or dts audio - but why this would affect all your video (you said "all of them" above) I do truly struggle to understand.
    As for the WiFi issue, there's a lot I can do on my Nexus 7 without WiFi.
    OK - what can't you do on your PlayBook without WiFi that you were expecting to be able to do, and tell me, does your Nexus, natively, provide bluetooth tethering?

I've not yet encountered another tablet that makes it so easy to tether when you don't have WiFi coverage.
    Can't be any happier having bought this Nexus 7 for $200. Ya there's a new one coming out in a month or two, but I don't need to have the latest and greatest.
    Oh I see - post purchase rationalisation - you've now got a Nexus, and were simply looking to slam the PlayBook in ignorance. Sorry, I should have noticed earlier - go right on ahead. Don't think anybody is really listening anyways...
    03-25-13 10:51 AM
    no apps, no apps, no apps
    Just out of interest, what sort of apps are you so desperately missing?
    John Pawling likes this.
    03-25-13 10:52 AM
    Just out of interest, what sort of apps are you so desperately missing?
    Flipboard, (Yes you can sideload it but it's buggy and slow)
    Zinio, (Yes you can sideload it but it's buggy and slow, also its an old version)
    Netflix (ofcourse)
    Ted talks,
    Houzz (web page, works decent for this)
    Google Currents
    Songza
    1password
    Epicurious (good cooking / recipe apps are missing from the playbook)

pinterest, (Sideloaded app is painfully slow) if you goto the regular website in the web browser the dropdowns don't work since they are mouse overs. If you goto the mobile site after pagine down for a while you can't pin anything (the Girlfirend always complains about this)

Web browser is slow, most Andriod apps run too slow or are buggy. Searching for things in blackberry world sucks! ( I think everyone can agree to this)

Honestly, its really good hardware, I like the OS. It just needs alot of pollishing, and that's where Apple is unfortunatly is better. Apple is petter at Pollishing things so the User experiance is good and people are happy.
    03-25-13 11:44 AM
    Flipboard, (Yes you can sideload it but it's buggy and slow)
    Zinio, (Yes you can sideload it but it's buggy and slow, also its an old version)
    Netflix (ofcourse)
    Ted talks,
    Houzz (web page, works decent for this)
    Google Currents
    Songza
    1password
    Epicurious (good cooking / recipe apps are missing from the playbook)

pinterest, (Sideloaded app is painfully slow) if you goto the regular website in the web browser the dropdowns don't work since they are mouse overs. If you goto the mobile site after pagine down for a while you can't pin anything (the Girlfirend always complains about this)

Web browser is slow, most Andriod apps run too slow or are buggy. Searching for things in blackberry world sucks! ( I think everyone can agree to this)

Honestly, its really good hardware, I like the OS. It just needs alot of pollishing, and that's where Apple is unfortunatly is better. Apple is petter at Pollishing things so the User experiance is good and people are happy.
    Zinio doesn't need to be sideloaded - it's available free from app store.

Whilst I agree that there are some poignant gaps in the app support - I'm not going to google all the apps you're listing there to find out what they all do - just suffice to say, what key functions are you finding there are no apps for?
    John Pawling likes this.
    03-25-13 11:55 AM
    Zinio doesn't need to be sideloaded - it's available free from app store.

Whilst I agree that there are some poignant gaps in the app support - I'm not going to google all the apps you're listing there to find out what they all do - just suffice to say, what key functions are you finding there are no apps for?
    Sorry my bad, mix up, zinio should == Zite
    03-25-13 12:01 PM
    Although I've tried for two years now, my pb absolutely refuses to make toast. As I like to have toast and marmalade every morning I find this very irksome!
    dphjeff and John Pawling like this.
    03-25-13 12:08 PM
    Although I've tried for two years now, my pb absolutely refuses to make toast. As I like to have toast and marmalade every morning I find this very irksome!
    Speaking of toast, I wish it had the notification kind. The hard-to-see glowing red corner thing isn't much. And I don't think the LED color can be customized. That would have been nice. Any kind of customization would be nice. It's all pretty basic.
    03-25-13 12:16 PM
    News readers, I haven�t come across any the come close on the PB to Flipboard/Zite/Currents
    Password management apps that I use on PC/Mac/ IPAD/ Android (So there might be a side load for it, haven't actually looked)
    Songza = great music streaming service that we can use up here in Canada, since we can't use pandora without a proxy. It beats any other service I've seen out there.
    Ted talks you can goto the website and load the videos from there, but it is annoying

Also I would like Unity across some of my platforms, iOS/Andriod have it for the most popular apps, and BB really needs it.

I see people saying the PB is old and that it won�t be able to run BB10 since it's so old. I have one simple reply, how is it that the ipad2 that came out before it still runs the current iOS just fine then? or that an xbox360/PS3 run fine and they are over 5 years old? Easy, optimization. Yes BB might have to take 1-2 features out of BB10 to make it run fine on the PB but all we PB owners really want is app compatibility... and a better web browser
    03-25-13 12:16 PM
    Speaking of toast, I wish it had the notification kind. The hard-to-see glowing red corner thing isn't much. And I don't think the LED color can be customized. That would have been nice. Any kind of customization would be nice. It's all pretty basic.
    I know exactly where your coming from there. I like customization (as you Americans spell it) as well. I often have blackberry or raspberry preserve on my toast but my favorite is marmalade. It's nice to have the choice though isn't it.

Whatever you do don't get a Z10 because the notification on those must have been invented by my good friend Isaac. He always had a flair for organized chaos!
    03-25-13 12:23 PM
    See that's your problem - expectations...

Mine makes wonderful croissants. And croissants is one of those words - say it wrong, and BOOM, you sound stupid.
    03-25-13 12:37 PM
    See that's your problem - expectations...

Mine makes wonderful croissants. And croissants is one of those words - say it wrong, and BOOM, you sound stupid.
    Ooopppss guess what, I'm stupid.
    03-25-13 01:04 PM
    the colour customization of the led API is yet to be released for bb10 also we will probably get it at the time they do give or take. we should have bb10 by then
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-25-13 01:47 PM
    On the whole, I'm pretty happy with the playbook in general for my needs. I just got a Z10 and wish that the PB browser would be this quick. Maybe a better facebook app? I would love to have Netflix on this, but can live without it for the meantime.
    dphjeff likes this.
    03-25-13 02:07 PM
    the colour customization of the led API is yet to be released for bb10 also we will probably get it at the time they do give or take. we should have bb10 by then
    You definitely posses the ability to read into the future. I'm well impressed but do not however tell anyone what I'm drinking now, or else!
    03-25-13 02:08 PM
    Why?

What's the audio and video codecs used, and the container. If you don't know this already, or don't know how to find out, mediainfo is your friend.
    RMVB, MKV, MP4. In b4 the hate. It's not like I choose these file containers. If HK dramas have to be in RMVB because HK people like them, then there's nothing I can do.

OK - what can't you do on your PlayBook without WiFi that you were expecting to be able to do, and tell me, does your Nexus, natively, provide bluetooth tethering?
    Um what do I need bluetooth tethering for? Plus bluetooth tethering doesn't even work! See one of my other threads where I can't do Internet bluetooth tethering. Plus my Android phone has mobile hotspots... Thus I can do WiFi tethering at maximum speeds.

Oh I see - post purchase rationalisation - you've now got a Nexus, and were simply looking to slam the PlayBook in ignorance. Sorry, I should have noticed earlier - go right on ahead. Don't think anybody is really listening anyways...
    I've been slamming the PlayBook for a while now... Was hoping it'd get better, but nope.
    03-25-13 05:29 PM
    I would like to be able to bridge it through my z10 like I used to with my bold 9900
    FF22 likes this.
    03-25-13 06:47 PM
    RMVB, MKV, MP4. In b4 the hate. It's not like I choose these file containers. If HK dramas have to be in RMVB because HK people like them, then there's nothing I can do.
    They are containers, not codecs, per se. I'm not sure I've tried to play any RMVBs on my PlayBook, but I regularly play MKVs and MP4s.

Once again - what codec, and what codec audio - because I suspect it's the audio codec support you're failing, not video - BICBW.
    Um what do I need bluetooth tethering for?
    Because you were talking about it being useless without WiFi, and I countered by saying the PlayBook probably natively provides more tethering options than a Nexus.
    Plus bluetooth tethering doesn't even work!
    Yes it does, I regularly use it with my handset's 3.5G connection when I want to use my PlayBook, there's no WiFi available, and I've got 3G connectivity on my handset.
    See one of my oth er threads where I can't do Internet bluetooth tethering.
    So because you can't make it work, it doesn't work, right? Wrong.
    Plus my Android phone has mobile hotspots... Thus I can do WiFi tethering at maximum speeds.
    Great. And I'd use WiFi tethering if my handset supported it, but it doesn't - but that's the beauty - I don't need anything other than native functionality, on either device, to still be able to use the internet and read email, when I've got no WiFi coverage.
    I've been slamming the PlayBook for a while now... Was hoping it'd get better, but nope.
    Me too.

Problem is, the slamming never seems to get any better, just more specious rubbish.
    John Pawling likes this.
    03-26-13 07:47 AM
237 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD