Hello fellow Playbook owners. Since we were let down by Blackberry's decision to end support for the Blackberry Playbook, we are now stuck with an antique of a tablet. I know we're able to still side load android apps after converting them to bar files but that's now an unwanted tedious task since we're now able to download .apk files directly to our BB10 devices.

So instead of making my Playbook an e-reader or a drink coaster, I wonder if there's a way I can turn my Playbook into a full Android device. I would love to make it useful.

Now, now.. before all of you start jabbing and joking, I know i'm not the only one who's thought of this since there's nothing else to do with it.

If anyone out there knows of a way or if it's possible to do this, please get in touch with me.

Thanks
    06-12-14 09:03 PM
    There is no way.
    06-12-14 09:11 PM
    Even if it's rooted and then an Android OS is loaded?

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 09:37 PM
    Even if it's rooted and then an Android OS is loaded?

Posted via CB10
    No one is and will be able to unlock the bootloader, at least in the foreseeable future.
    06-12-14 09:48 PM
    Considering the PlayBook's hardware, it is better for it to remain on its BlackBerry OS... my quad-core 2-point something hertz tablet with more than 2GB RAM running (latest) Android OS is still having "hiccups"...

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 10:34 PM
    This tablet is locked down; no way to root or load your own OS. This is what Blackberry is known for: security of their devices. Also, don't anticipate an unlocking of any of this following their decision to stop support of the tablet. What you see is what you get, and you will NOT be able to put any other OS onto this tablet.
    06-13-14 06:24 AM
    Back to coaster it remain.

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    06-13-14 07:19 AM
    It works well as a media device, a light browser and an e-reader. Enjoy it for that.
    06-13-14 07:38 AM
    I guess so..

Thanks for the replies

Mr.C
    07-03-14 06:59 PM
    I like using the Playbook with the HDMI out to my basic, not Smart, LED tv, controlled with my Z10 from the couch with bridge. Movies, Web, email. Its all there and the Z10 as the remote works really well.
    07-07-14 09:37 PM
    This has been asked/discussed several times. The search function is your friend...
    07-11-14 07:12 AM
    Why do people people still harp on this?
    Seriously, if you bought an android tablet from this same time frame you will probably ditch it or regalated to the same fate as a PB. It still works fine for what it does. I still see android tablets with lesser specs and Android 2.3 or 2.2 sold.
    Even a cheap laptop bought from this time frame is probably already sitting in the corner or ebayed/craiglisted.
    Banco and mh1983 like this.
    07-11-14 07:26 AM
    Seriously, if you bought an android tablet from this same time frame you will probably ditch it or regalated to the same fate as a PB. It still works fine for what it does. I still see android tablets with lesser specs and Android 2.3 or 2.2 sold.
    Even a cheap laptop bought from this time frame is probably already sitting in the corner or ebayed/craiglisted.
    Yep. For all its flaws, as a three year old tablet the specs future proofed it pretty well.
    mh1983 likes this.
    07-11-14 07:45 AM
    Sadly, that's not the case. I have an Acer Iconia Tab A200, a Tegra 2-based device that's from that same generation of tablets. Thanks to an unlocked boot loader, I can install any number of custom ROMs onto it. Right now I'm typing this from the latest version of tapatalk running on Android KitKat 4.4.4 (OmniROM). I have the CPU over clocked to 1504MHz and the performance runs circles around my Playbook.

I *wish* I could do the same with my PB!

RCK
    mh1983 likes this.
    07-12-14 03:37 AM
    Well once again, thanks for all of your comments and replies. I will just use it as an e-reader and browser. I will not condemn it to becoming a drink coaster.
    07-26-14 07:44 AM