Being a new PlayBook owner, I luckily have not have to endure a 9-10 month wait compared to those that bought the device @ launch. This would have been an extremely long wait for those who do not have a BlackBerry, and could not use the Bridge apps (Messages/Calendar). However, for those that *DO* have a BlackBerry like myself, and have had e-mail on the device since day one... what can we expect when 2.0 is released?

While I love the look of the new 'native' Messaging, Contacts, Calendaring apps, from the CES videos, I am not completely without that functionality on my PlayBook due to the Bridge Apps. That said, will 2.0 bring other enhancements to the table that I can be excited about?

What else is 2.0 bringing that we know about today? Here's what I've been able to pull out from the pinned 2.0 beta thread & others.

For myself, I am a fairly light user at the moment. Bridge Apps (Messages/Browser) get used heavily during my commute, along with the regular Browser while @ home on WiFi. If this list of new & updated features is what we can expect for 2.0, I'd say I look forward most to the Browser being faster (I already think it is pretty snappy!), as that does encompass a great % of my daily use.

Aaaand what about you guys? Let me & everyone else know if there is more I may have missed.

CONFIRMED OS 2.0 Features & Findings:

NEW APPS:

Native Messaging App - (VIDEO)

- Unified Inbox w/ ability to add 'other' accounts (ActiveSync, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, IMAP, POP, HOTMAIL, GMAIL, _____ maybe more?). This from DevCon Europe shows browsing through the accounts setup (not English though).
    - Rich text editor for modifying fonts, colors, formatting, etc.
    - - compose an e-mail and easily switch to read and reference a new e-mail, or start multiple new e-mails.

- Also ties in Contacts, and their status updates from other accounts you've added (LinkedIN, Twitter, Facebook)
    - Month view shows larger dates the busier you are ("Growing Numbers"... RIM refers to this feature as)

- Brings in social media data for contacts from other added accounts (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
    - Also brings in news feed information for the contact's company, which allows you to see headlines relating to the company, and visit those directly using integration with the Browser (mentioned @ DevCon Europe!)

- Allows access to run approved BlackBerry APP WORLD "Android" Applications

- Allows wireless printing from a computer to the PlayBook for things like travel itineraries...
    Video Storefront - US Only
    - Thousands of movies. Available as soon as they are released on dvd... depending on pricing this could be nice.

- No one has demonstrated its use completely as of yet beyond this demonstration where the RIM employee at least opens it up. Here is a screenshot of the icon. Pointed out by CB user bcs925. Thanks bcs925!

UPDATED APPLICATIONS:

YouTube App
    - Better than the old 1.0 app apparently
    Browser
    - Reported to be significantly faster in some beta's, though unstable in earlier beta versions.
    - "Reader View" implemented for easier viewing of certain web pages.
    - HTML5 capabilities have been enhanced greatly. CB User Rob Robertson and his thread indicates the Browser in 2.0 scores extremely high on the HTML5 tests (capabilities does not equate to speed/performance though keep in mind). OS 2.0's Browser is one of the most capable HTML5 browsers available amongst tablets, and extremely competitive even when tested alongside desktop browsers. Impressive & promising.

- Ability edit charts, and ability to edit presentation's formatting, text, bullets, etc. Cut/Paste between cells on Sheets 2 Go, and also more formatting options in Word 2 Go
    Camera
    - Faster capturing of photos is being reported

- This video shows that Video Chat has been integrated with the Contacts application. The contacts application will intelligently identify which of your e-mail contacts, is also a Video Chat contact. They seem to identify that "presence" is a new feature(?) so you can tell if someone is actually on their PlayBook and available for chat? I have not used video chat so cannot validate if this is entirely new or not?
    Facebook
    - From CB: "FaceBook for PlayBook will get updated to v.2.2.0.39 as well that day with the release supporting the new PlayBook keyboard and fixes for OS 2."

BRIDGE ENHANCEMENTS:

- Provide input from BlackBerry keyboard to PlayBook, also navigate via swipes, etc.

- Instruct the BlackBerry to open an item on the PlayBook (Internet URL, Photo, E-Mail, ____?)

OS & UI ENHANCEMENTS:

- You will not be limited to the default Media/Favorites/Games catgeories, but can create your own App categories.

- Ability to listen to PlayBook Audio via supported BlueTooth pairing device (in-car entertainment, headphones, etc)
    MKV Video Codec Support
    - Limited audio codecs reported

- Decreases keyboard size due to addition of 'suggested' words as you type. Appears to be quite good from videos & postings on CB (243px, down from 303px)
    Faster/Snappy UI
    - People seem to report that swiping & touch feedback overall feels better

- Ability to "PIN" favorite apps to an easily accessible "DOCK"

- It is not specifically mentioned in this video link, but the Notification LED you will see is functional like on a BlackBerry when viewing the clip. Potentially, this can be expected now with the native Messages application I would wager! - Thanks fnord for pointing this out.
    GPS robustness should significantly improve in 2.0
    - Numerous bugs have been fixed, including the one where after a failure you may have to restart the PlayBook. Noted by CB user Peter9477 in another thread who has filed bug reports with RIM & tracked progress on this in the Dev Betas. Thanks Peter9477!
    SPECULATED Features with SOME evidence:

There are plenty of rumored features/apps out there, though a lot lack any real confirmation, as is the purpose of this thread - to differentiate what is reality and what is fantasy. There are a few desired features/apps that actually do have some evidence supporting the possibility of them releasing with 2.0, even though they have not been officially demonstrated or announced. Take these with a grain of salt. *IF* you know of any rumored/speculated apps or features that have reasonable supporting evidence let me know and we can add them to the list here:

DLNA Support
    - CB User SuperFly_FR found and posted in his thread Here that Research In Motion is now listed on the DLNA.org website as a certified DLNA product manufacturer. No products are listed, and this could still very well be referencing BlackBerry phones rather than the PlayBook. The timing is curious though, being so close to OS 2.0 release - though again, this could also simply be relating to OS 7.1 for Phones.

KINDLE App
    - CB User speedypear posted in his thread Here this photo from a PlayBook OS 2.0 advertisement apparently taken in the UK somewhere. It seems to me that in a paragraph boasting about APPS availability, and mentioning KOBO (which has had an official PB app from the get go) and then mentioning KINDLE in the same paragraph - this really lends some credibility to the fact it should be available in some form or another (whether an Android port or true PB app). Could be a bad mistake on their part too?
    Last edited by BrizzadMan; 02-16-12 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Added speculated features section
    01-31-12 04:38 PM
    Well done! I don't know of any others besides what you have in your list.. needless to say, I can't wait for my Valentine's Present, even tho it may be a few days past that date.
    01-31-12 04:42 PM
    Forgot about the Video Store, and the Print 2 Go apps... added those.
    01-31-12 09:35 PM
    Added some video links on key features (listed as VIDEO). Links will jump to specific time in the video where the feature is demonstrated!
    02-02-12 01:12 PM
    Awesome work!
    Thanks so much for compiling all that data in one place!
    02-02-12 01:40 PM
    No problemo. I'm sure some details are missing, though I think most key features that are public knowledge are listed there. I do hope there are a few surprises though! Already having a BB, I'm not super excited (curious though) about the native e-mail/calendar/contacts/etc.
    02-02-12 01:42 PM
    Any word on the gps being better with 2.0 ?
    02-02-12 01:53 PM
    ...And a whole lot of excitment.
    02-02-12 02:05 PM
    What about the notification led?
    02-02-12 02:06 PM
    What about the notification led?
    Ah yes! You're right. The notification LED has been spotted as being 'functional' potentially for the new native Messages app I believe. I'll try to hunt down a video which shows it working...
    02-02-12 02:08 PM
    I do believe we can look forward to apps like this! 15 days left!

missing_K-W likes this.
    02-02-12 02:10 PM
    Ah yes! You're right. The notification LED has been spotted as being 'functional' potentially for the new native Messages app I believe. I'll try to hunt down a video which shows it working...
    I don't think they refer to it directly, but it's flashing throughout the video you posted for the new keyboard:
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    02-02-12 02:18 PM
    I do believe we can look forward to apps like this! 15 days left!
    And this is how we know the PlayBook is entering the big leagues! Having fart apps is a right of passage it seems...
    jdngfx and anon(3896606) like this.
    02-02-12 02:30 PM
    Well done! I don't know of any others besides what you have in your list.. needless to say, I can't wait for my Valentine's Present, even tho it may be a few days past that date.
    Oh dear, it is indeed a sad day in America when a lovely lady's only want for Valentine's Day is just a simple OS; oh the horror.........
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-02-12 02:35 PM
    BBM groups via bridge...
    xkalibur2k and Rajmessi like this.
    02-02-12 02:37 PM
    BBM groups via bridge...
    Really? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet. Are you able to pass on a link, video or reference? That is good news indeed.
    02-02-12 02:53 PM
    Added "Video Chat" as an updated application on the Features list, with a CrackBerry video reference citing the improvements there.
    02-02-12 03:07 PM
    Well that's proper exciting!!! I'll be even more excited once I can get the darn AppWorld to WORK!
    02-02-12 03:22 PM
    you will get this BB you tube video:

02-02-12 04:53 PM
    will there be netflix app or via android player? sorry for the noob question, but i'm out of the loop.
    02-02-12 05:03 PM
    will there be netflix app or via android player? sorry for the noob question, but i'm out of the loop.
    Yes to Android Player - check the features list under NEW APPLICATIONS on the first page of this thread, the Android Player is for sure a big part of this.

No to Netflix at this point unfortunately.
    02-02-12 05:49 PM
    you can use formulas in the current docs2go. you don't have to wait for OS 2.0
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    02-02-12 07:50 PM
    you can use formulas in the current docs2go. you don't have to wait for OS 2.0
    Thanks for the clarification, I'll update. Jeff mentioned 'more' formatting options for Word 2 Go, and copy/paste between cells is new in Sheets 2 Go, just re-watched.
    02-02-12 08:23 PM
    Added information noticed in the DevCon Europe videos thus far:

"Contacts App: Also brings in news feed information for the contact's company, which allows you to see headlines relating to the company, and visit those directly using integration with the Browser (mentioned @ DevCon Europe!)". This may have been shown @ CES, though I didn't see it specifically mentioned as much as it was in the keynote @ DevCon. Very cool.
    02-07-12 12:19 PM
    Question about the printing. Will we be able to print from the Playbook to a printer? From what I see from the video, it looks like you can only send docs to your Playbook from a computer, which is lame. You can just email the docs to your playbook. I want to be able to print to a printer.
    02-07-12 12:29 PM
91 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD