What will OS 2 cost?
    With all the excitement I would think most PB users would pay u$d 14.95
    So long as I don�t have to buy it from �Shopblackberry�
    02-09-12 08:25 AM
    We may get a lot of things with OS 2.
    What will OS 2 cost?
    With all the excitement I would think most PB users would pay u$d 14.95
    So long as I don�t have to buy it from �Shopblackberry�
    No cost upgrade for OS 2.0... it's free (except for those that bought @ launch... they have already paid in their tears!)
    02-09-12 09:03 AM
    Needs to to support more video/audio codecs
    02-09-12 11:21 AM
    How will syncing the data from your BB calendar to PB calendar be implemented?

Will it be possible in the first place?
    This is synchronized through the backend, however your BB is configured (BES/BIS).

So with native e-mail on the PlayBook via ActiveSync, if you read e-mails, that read status will sync to the mailbox .... which you would then see (with some minor delays) on your BB.
    02-09-12 12:03 PM
    is BBM thru bridge faster? i love using bridge for BBM but its a PITA with all the lag
    02-09-12 12:22 PM
    I don't see "Native File Manager" on your list of added apps... I've personally been using Air Browser but perhaps the native one will have some goodies that the 3rd party ones don't have.

See at 4:57. I've seen it on other videos too but never one where they open the app.
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    02-09-12 01:00 PM
    I don't see "Native File Manager" on your list of added apps... I've personally been using Air Browser but perhaps the native one will have some goodies that the 3rd party ones don't have.

See at 4:57. I've seen it on other videos too but never one where they open the app.
    I can't imagine the native file manager (if that's what it is) would sync to web based file servers such as Dropbox, Box.net and GoogleDocs.
    If it does though, then great. More happy people in the world of BB
    02-09-12 01:04 PM
    Great stuff Brizzadman!!
    02-09-12 02:12 PM

Keen eye you have! I hadn't spotted that before. I suppose although important to the consumer, it could be a bit boring to show off and maybe why no one opened it up?

02-09-12 02:12 PM

Hey BCS25! Check out this new video from DevCon Europe:

The RIM employee at least opens it up & confirms this is native.
    dono54 and kennyliu like this.
    02-09-12 03:00 PM
    That's a good video, the interviewer has a hands on with the PlayBook afterwards and explores settings a bit. Here is a settings screen for the new keyboard:

02-09-12 03:13 PM
    Screenshot of inside the Filemanager App. It LOOKS...... like you can manage not only the PlayBook filesystem, but maybe also a bridged BlackBerry's filesystem from within the same App?! Looking at the top two options.... one says PlayBook... the other maybe a selection for a bridged BB ?

02-09-12 03:19 PM
    are we gonna be able to connect azerty bleutooth keyboard?
    02-09-12 03:27 PM
    in the app world, will i be able to differentiate between an android app and a blackberry app ?
    buffandsweet33 likes this.
    02-09-12 05:02 PM
    in the app world, will i be able to differentiate between an android app and a blackberry app ?
    I don't believe so. RIM has specified in their app submission process for re-packaged Android Apps, that there be no references to "ANDROID" in the App's description that will go into AppWorld.

It will of course be obvious to the consumer afterwards when something opens in the Android Player. So you may need to pay attention to customer's ratings, reviews/comments on the app to discern better if it is an Android app or not.
    buffandsweet33 and yunvi like this.
    02-09-12 05:25 PM
    Being a new PlayBook owner, I luckily have not have to endure a 9-10 month wait compared to those that bought the device @ launch. This would have been an extremely long wait for those who do not have a BlackBerry, and could not use the Bridge apps (Messages/Calendar). However, for those that *DO* have a BlackBerry like myself, and have had e-mail on the device since day one... what can we expect when 2.0 is released?

While I love the look of the new 'native' Messaging, Contacts, Calendaring apps, from the CES videos, I am not completely without that functionality on my PlayBook due to the Bridge Apps. That said, will 2.0 bring other enhancements to the table that I can be excited about?

What else is 2.0 bringing that we know about today? Here's what I've been able to pull out from the pinned 2.0 beta thread & others.

For myself, I am a fairly light user at the moment. Bridge Apps (Messages/Browser) get used heavily during my commute, along with the regular Browser while @ home on WiFi. If this list of new & updated features is what we can expect for 2.0, I'd say I look forward most to the Browser being faster (I already think it is pretty snappy!), as that does encompass a great % of my daily use.

Aaaand what about you guys? Let me & everyone else know if there is more I may have missed.
    You have been busy friend.
    Well done.
    02-09-12 05:26 PM
    What about USB On-The-Go support so I can move jpegs from my camera to the PB? Please? Oh, and Netflix, too!
    Last edited by J_Lugnuts; 02-09-12 at 06:15 PM.
    buffandsweet33 likes this.
    02-09-12 05:49 PM
    Looks like spellcheck/suggestions are functional for the remote control bridge, when inputting via BB Keyboard:

As shown in this new from a European Devcon attendee.
    02-09-12 08:39 PM
    I have 3 hopes for 2.0. Offline evernote. Better file browsing including bridge files and freeze panes in excel.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    02-09-12 09:12 PM
    What about USB On-The-Go support so I can move jpegs from my camera to the PB? Please? Oh, and Netflix, too!
    Netflix is all speculation at this point. Same with USB OTG

USB OTG would be huge though, as that is one reason I would bring my NetBook with me instead of my PlayBook on a serious vacation... I like to backup my photos semi-daily in case I lose my camera, etc. Heard too many horror stories of people losing their camera, having it stolen, etc...

Right now, the PlayBook doesn't help me in that scenario. Though if it had the ability to connect to an AD-HOC WIFI network, you could potentially use an EYE-FI wifi card in your camera, and this would suffice to a point. Still not the same though...
    02-09-12 09:19 PM
    Hey BCS25! Check out this new video from DevCon Europe:

The RIM employee at least opens it up & confirms this is native.
    Thanks for the video. The fact that a non-RIM person was allowed to play with OS2 is a good sign. As far as I remember they didn't let anybody play with the new OS at CES.

Anyway, the native PIM apps look awesome. Better than anything else I've seen.
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    02-09-12 09:22 PM
    I have 3 hopes for 2.0. Offline evernote. Better file browsing including bridge files and freeze panes in excel.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    Isn't offline Evernote oit of RIM's control?
    02-09-12 09:24 PM
    Thanks for the video. The fact that a non-RIM person was allowed to play with OS2 is a good sign. As far as I remember they didn't let anybody play with the new OS at CES.

Anyway, the native PIM apps look awesome. Better than anything else I've seen.
    Agreed, they look really nice.

Found another video for you to check out if you're interested in the File Manager (not YouTube unfortunately), and you have to wait for an Advertisement to play first. Worthwhile though:

RIM Playbook OS 2.0 and Blackberry 7.1 video demo - The Inquirer

You need to jump to 4:52 where he uses the File Manager, and confirms my thoughts that you can manage files on the PlayBook, and also a bridged BB! So awesome.
    02-09-12 09:33 PM
    You a large fry and coke with it.
    02-09-12 09:48 PM
    What an interesting thread. I had just been happily waiting for OS2 with a warm fuzzy feeling but hadn't really thought about the functions I already take for granted via the bridge. From my perspective, and for those who use the bridge, this upgrade isn't so a cataclysmic OS1 -> OS2 and is effectively much more like OS1 -> OS1.5.

Still really looking forward to it though. Lots of good stuff.
    02-10-12 04:30 AM
91 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD