Question about the printing. Will we be able to print from the Playbook to a printer? From what I see from the video, it looks like you can only send docs to your Playbook from a computer, which is lame. You can just email the docs to your playbook. I want to be able to print to a printer.
    Yep, this is possible right now - though not a specific feature of RIM's or the PlayBook OS itself.

Have a look through this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...lessly-684483/

You would need a newer Wifi HP Printer. They have a 'cloud' service where basically... your printer has an e-mail address. Anything you e-mail to that address, will get printed! So you could e-mail a .DOC attachment, or a photo attachment on an e-mail, just an e-mail itself, etc.
    02-07-12 12:44 PM
    Question about the printing. Will we be able to print from the Playbook to a printer? From what I see from the video, it looks like you can only send docs to your Playbook from a computer, which is lame. You can just email the docs to your playbook. I want to be able to print to a printer.
    The converse is already true: with some printers you simply email docs to it. Getting PrintFromPlayBook to work in a more general way is nontrivial, considering the multiplicity of OSs and printers.
    02-07-12 12:46 PM
    The new Print 2 Go app is a bit strange though since we're on that topic. Why not just e-mail yourself a flight itinerary, important info, etc? Why "Print" it to the PlayBook? Maybe that ensures it is accessible as a local 'document' for offline viewing when you can't be bridged perhaps?

It might get used by some, though not myself, or at least as far as I can see.
    02-07-12 12:50 PM
    It may sound simple but one of the things I am hoping for most is a better browsing experience. The current web browser is dog slow (I haven't tried the last few 2.0 betas) and touch response is frustrating. I believe that the hardware is capable but the software lacked some much needed optimizations (JavaScript in particular).

EDIT: Also a much better PDF experience. And can anything be done about battery life at this point?
    Last edited by semicoln; 02-07-12 at 01:03 PM.
    02-07-12 12:54 PM
    I'm really hoping I'll be able to link to my company's Exchange server like I can on Android or iPhone so I can sync calendar and contacts as well as email. My BB phone won't do this without expensive 3rd party apps (as far as I understand it, at least) and my co. doesn't do BES.

Can I hope? I can do it with Android email, calendar, etc on the beta OS2 but will the relese version break that?????
    ewitz likes this.
    02-07-12 01:17 PM
    Im hoping that there will be better access to the playbook files and folders.
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    02-07-12 01:45 PM
    I'm really hoping I'll be able to link to my company's Exchange server like I can on Android or iPhone so I can sync calendar and contacts as well as email. My BB phone won't do this without expensive 3rd party apps (as far as I understand it, at least) and my co. doesn't do BES.

Can I hope? I can do it with Android email, calendar, etc on the beta OS2 but will the relese version break that?????
    Sounds like your company would be utilizing ActiveSync to allow your Android to access e-mail, calendar, etc. This would not break when you also hook up your PlayBook as well. You can have multiple ActiveSync devices on a mailbox from my understanding...
    02-07-12 01:47 PM
    Im hoping that there will be better access to the playbook files and folders.
    Have you downloaded the "AIR Browser" from AppWorld yet in the meantime?
    02-07-12 01:47 PM
    Added a video link to the "Unified Inbox" section in the features list:

This video from DevCon Europe (not English) is the first time I've seen the account setup screen in more depth, it confirms some of what we've known, though shows configured accounts for ACTIVESYNC, IMAP, POP, GMAIL, HOTMAIL, and also social media options for TWITTER, FACEBOOK, LINKEDIN....
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-08-12 12:58 PM
    Sounds like your company would be utilizing ActiveSync to allow your Android to access e-mail, calendar, etc. This would not break when you also hook up your PlayBook as well. You can have multiple ActiveSync devices on a mailbox from my understanding...
    I guess so - the server is sync.xxxx.com - my worry is that OS2 won't support sync, like the handsets don't.
    Last edited by filbert42; 02-08-12 at 01:11 PM. Reason: clarify
    02-08-12 01:10 PM
    I guess so - the server is sync.xxxx.com - my worry is that OS2 won't support sync, like the handsets don't.

Nope - you'll be good to go. Check this video link, and you will see "ACTIVESYNC" in the list of added accounts:

filbert42 likes this.
    02-08-12 01:13 PM
    Nope - you'll be good to go. Check this video link, and you will see "ACTIVESYNC" in the list of added accounts:
    Great! Thanks
    02-08-12 01:38 PM
    I'm actually disappointed that they are going to a LED notifier. I really love the way the current notifier works in the corner of the screen. It feels less intrusive than a flashing red LED light that's hard to ignore.
    02-08-12 02:55 PM
    I'm actually disappointed that they are going to a LED notifier. I really love the way the current notifier works in the corner of the screen. It feels less intrusive than a flashing red LED light that's hard to ignore.
    The screen notifier is no good if in stand-by. LED notification is iconic Blackberry and should always be on every device. The option to disable it would be could for people such as yourself.
    Zirak likes this.
    02-08-12 03:19 PM
    The screen notifier is no good if in stand-by. LED notification is iconic Blackberry and should always be on every device. The option to disable it would be could for people such as yourself.
    That's a really great point. I myself was wondering about this functionality being duplicated, but I feel kind of dumb not thinking about things with the screen off, duh

The screen notifier won't be going away either - so no one worry about that.
    02-08-12 03:46 PM
    The OP states this currently: "They seem to identify that "presence" is a new feature(?) so you can tell if someone is actually on their PlayBook and available for chat? I have not used video chat so cannot validate if this is entirely new or not?"

I have used video chat a lot, and watched the video where they discuss this. It would be correct to say something like "The contacts app also has a "presence indicator" showing which contacts have video chat and are available for chatting (online, not marked "do not disturb")." (And no, this wasn't in the betas.)
    02-08-12 04:06 PM
    Will the browser have the ability to remember usernames and passwords for site access?
    02-08-12 06:05 PM
    please, delete
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-08-12 at 06:29 PM.
    02-08-12 06:22 PM
    Any word on the gps being better with 2.0 ?
    Peter9477 confirmed in a seperate thread that:

GPS robustness should significantly improve in 2.0, where numerous bugs have been fixed, including the one where after a failure you may have to restart the PlayBook.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-08-12 08:36 PM
    Just got off the phone with BB Playbook Support [the free support for 90 days] and he told me that with the new 2.0 os Skype would be available in the app store! Woo Hoo! Looking forward to the release as he said "sometime towards the end of the month." SOOO glad I bought the playbook - works so good with my 9900!
    kennyliu, BrizzadMan and whitbags like this.
    02-08-12 10:07 PM
    Just got off the phone with BB Playbook Support [the free support for 90 days] and he told me that with the new 2.0 os Skype would be available in the app store! Woo Hoo! Looking forward to the release as he said "sometime towards the end of the month." SOOO glad I bought the playbook - works so good with my 9900!
    If this is true, then WOW
    buffandsweet33 likes this.
    02-08-12 10:10 PM
    with 2.0 we should really be getting a menu function somewhere incorporated into QNX... like on my 9810.. a menu with multiple functions.. i really like that about a blackberry phone os.. maybe the bottom right corner bezel gesture could launch the menu..its empty as of now.. (bottom left corner for keyboard launch)...

also, i dont see anyone talking bout Social feeds on pb.. does it exist? im missing the podcast app and cant get it.. the os downgrade upgrade process to get it is really not worth since 2.0 is just around the corner..

no mention of instant messengers.. gtalk.. msn..

i have a question.. all the bridge apps are native bb phone os apps.. but jus with some basic changes.. they work well on the pb.. will all bb phone os apps will be able to convert for pb easily?

they should bring in lots of small applications.. like live wallpapers.. wud be cool to have live weather going on since i love the accuweather stuff.. but currently the pb cant minimize all like bb os7 where the menu goes completely under.. or even have small non-fullscreen apps like eg. a ticker sort of based application.. which runs across the homesreen all the time..

one bad thing i notice rim doing is trying to make show-off applications which are just bout going all out with the capabilities of the device and forgetting bout the basic use..

anyways.. imo rim shud take lead from apple and list down all the features that need to be available and work on making them perfect and then move forward.. step by step.. rim is at very highgrounds.. one wrong step now and the fall will be reallly long and hard..

ps.. giving the support a call to check on skype..
    Last edited by varunsain; 02-08-12 at 11:43 PM. Reason: how i got the pb just to be ahead of time
    02-08-12 11:39 PM
    another thing might be getting an option to have bb phone replica keyboard.. with two options a key.. personally i dont like switching for symbols numbers.. in that way on my pb i can hold the alt with left thumb and shoot numbers or symbols with the right..
    02-09-12 12:09 AM
    Hmmm... Seems to me they'd be making a song and dance about it if it were true?? Hope it IS true...
    02-09-12 12:27 AM
    How will syncing the data from your BB calendar to PB calendar be implemented?

Will it be possible in the first place?
    02-09-12 05:51 AM
91 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD