Knowing that my PlayBook is definitely out of warranty now, even after the two replacements that were done early last year... yesterday, I plugged it in to show someone, and the power button is dead. (it's currently turned on, but it doesn't respond to the power button to turn the screen on/off. prior, the power button was making a "pop" noise when depressed, and it no longer does it)

Will it automatically power on, when plugged in and charged, if the battery goes dead, as many tablets like to do? Or am I stuck with making sure that it never drains again?
    07-02-13 01:06 PM
    Knowing that my PlayBook is definitely out of warranty now, even after the two replacements that were done early last year... yesterday, I plugged it in to show someone, and the power button is dead. (it's currently turned on, but it doesn't respond to the power button to turn the screen on/off. prior, the power button was making a "pop" noise when depressed, and it no longer does it)

Will it automatically power on, when plugged in and charged, if the battery goes dead, as many tablets like to do? Or am I stuck with making sure that it never drains again?
    I'm not sure. For now you just have to keep the playbook charge at all time and use the battery icon on stand by. I would not assume your warranty expire without at least call them up again. The tech service is really great at extending goodwill gesture.
    07-02-13 01:19 PM
    Yeah, I can just leave it plugged in all the time, but since I never use it for anything anyway, it seems like a waste. I was considering giving it to one of the kids, but if they can't power it off or on if it needs to be, then I guess that's pretty useless. :-S
    07-02-13 01:35 PM
    People have delved inside. You might be able to find out what is broken and maybe even find a replacement part. But, I, too, suggest calling them and seeing if they might fix it.
    07-02-13 05:18 PM
    Go to ebay and buy parts...not kidding. Have bad news though. It's connected to the camera and the camera is a clusterfawk since both the front and rear camera AND the power buttons are all connected together making for a PITA repair (obviously RIM designed).

Anyhow camera units can be bought on ebay for about $12-15 and you can easily repair this stuff yourself through iFixit. They give the PlayBook a 7/10 repair score. Read through this before deciding to take the plunge: BlackBerry PlayBook Teardown - iFixit See step 12 - 3rd picture
    FF22 likes this.
    07-02-13 05:21 PM
    I changed out my button assembly likity-split. Bought the assembly for $12.00 on eBay.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-02-13 10:18 PM
    Mine broke as well quite a while ago. I never sent it in. But, I just put it in standby when I am not using it and sometimes manage to charge it then as well. If it ever goes dead, it will turn on when plugged into the computer.

DG
    07-05-13 07:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD