02-13-15 03:20 PM
32 12
tools
    Nothing would have saved except for it being a finished product at release with all the apps.
    02-09-15 05:32 AM
    Things would have gone a lot better for it if it was released with OS2.1.xxx on launch date.. with a proper email/calendar app, advertised sideloading feature and its more modern UI. In the first half of 2011 this feature set would have gotten much better reviews and would have spurred on sales. For the time, this would have been a more compelling purchase than the iPad 2 IMHO. Of course, if you knew the future trajectories of both products and companies it would be 100% in favor of the iPad, but the PlayBook as it is today would have been a very solid product if it was released in April 2011.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    02-09-15 10:58 AM
    You're not going top save a product you lose money on.
    02-09-15 11:51 AM
    Not starting with a 600+ price tag for something as limited as it was.
    02-09-15 01:25 PM
    If the playbook had launched exactly as it did, but marketed as a beta product and sold for $299 and up, I really think it would have done so much better.

First, the price would have been the best on the market at the time, $200 less than the iPad at the time. People would have snagged it up just to have a tablet at that price.

Second, if it had been advertised as a $499 product, but selling for only $299 in beta, both users and reviewers would have been so much more positive about it.
    It WAS a beta product but sold as a finished product. So it got hammered in reviews.

Had it have been sold as beta, for a beta price, reviewers would have been so much more likely to review it for potential rather than where it currently was.

Posted via CB10
    I think the PlayBook was so damaging to the company's image that it would have been better left in development for another 6 months to a year - 2.0 OS features were desperately needed at launch.

It just sucks that the software couldn't match the hardware, which was easily ahead of the competition at launch.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 01:44 PM
    At the time, 4 gigs of ram was unrealistic. But 2 gigs and a 1.5 mHz processor, as in the LTE version, would have taken care of much of Playbook's lagginess, which killed it for me, along with the enduring lack of critical apps. But it also suffered from severe OS underoptimization. It had more ram than an iPad but ran slower!!!. Also, it took a third party to deliver an acceptably functional browser app. WTF!!!

Playbook could have been a winner with the above spec upgrades within the first year, OS optimization, and some minimal software development. That latter could have happened had BB put some money into needed apps, which are neither hard nor expensive to develop, they just require a commitment. That PB failed just shows how little BB was committed to it. A shame considering it had great potential back in 2011.
    02-13-15 11:08 AM
    BlackBerry certainly had the chance to succeed if things were done right with much lower price model (like $200-$300), higher resolution and PIM apps done right. I still remember I was looking for a non-iPad tablet back in 2011 when the best Android table was still very poor, because at the time Android was still meant for phones and not for tablet. Then I saw BlackBerry produced tablet and expected the nice experience I was having with the handsets and we all know how it turned out. Not sure if the guy who designed PlayBook was the same guy who designed BlackBerry Storm phones, both showed the same lack of seriousness and out of touch mannerism. Rumor had it at the time this guy was Thorsten Heins.
    02-13-15 03:20 PM
32 12