Hi all,
    now that I can actually transfer stuff to my PB I was wondering what you guys would recommend as a good free Video Converter.

Thanks in advance for your personal input.

Col
    06-22-13 03:51 PM
    id say handbrake, for ease of use, reliability and versatility.
    meikle likes this.
    06-22-13 04:03 PM
    Hi all,
    now that I can actually transfer stuff to my PB I was wondering what you guys would recommend as a good free Video Converter.

Thanks in advance for your personal input.

Col
    if i were you i would do this.
    mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=xvcd -vf scale=352:288,harddup -srate 44100 -af lavcresample=44100 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video:keyint=15:vrc_buf_size=327:vrc_m inrate=1152:vbitrate=1152:vrc_maxrate=1152:acodec= mp2:abitrate=224:aspect=16/9 -ofps 25 -o file-converted.mpg file-downloaded.someformat
    and then i would do this
    mplayer -identify -vf cropdetect file-converted.mpg
    then rename the file
    mv file-converted.mpg file-converted-old.mpg
    insert the crop value viz.
    mencoder -mc 0 -noskip -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -vf crop=720:576:0:0,scale=720:576,harddup -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=98 00:vbitrate=5000:keyint=15:vstrict=0:acodec=mp2:ab itrate=192:aspect=16/9:threads=4 -o file-converted.mpg file-converted-old.mpg
    then i would delete file-converted-old.mpg
    rm -rfv file-converted-old.mpg
    and then i will again rename file-converted.mpg
    mv file-converted.mpg file-converted-old.mpg
    and then i would do this
    mencoder -mc 0 -noskip -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -vf scale=720:576,harddup -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=98 00:vbitrate=5000:keyint=15:vstrict=0:acodec=mp2:ab itrate=192:aspect=16/9 -o file-converted.mpg file-converted-old.mpg
    then i will remove the file-converted-old.mpg
    then i will convert it to
    mencoder -mc 0 -noskip -oac copy -ovc x264 -x264encopts preset=veryslow:tune=film:crf=15:frameref=15:fast_ pskip=0:threads=auto -o file-converted.avi file-converted.mpg
    then i will delete the mpg files
    rm -rfv *.mpg
    then i will convert the file to mkv
    mencoder -oac copy -of lavf -ovc x264 -x264encopts preset=veryslow:tune=film:crf=15:frameref=15:fast_ pskip=0:global_header:threads=auto -o file-converted.mkv file-converted.avi
    if it complains copy not possible and spits error? then try this
    mencoder -oac pcm -of lavf -ovc x264 -x264encopts preset=veryslow:tune=film:crf=15:frameref=15:fast_ pskip=0:global_header:threads=auto -o file-converted.mkv file-converted.avi
    and i will either irritate someone else play video games else i will listen to music or go for a walk or enjoy coffee. last stage takes humongously long. a 3 mins video transcoding will take you 30 mins.
    the aspect ratio and cropping is suited for ideal fit on your playbook screen and cpu dsp best match. ;-)
    why so many steps? we are increasing the bitrate and quality and also making them more fine.
    if you wish to increase the volume then add -af volume=15.5:2 to mencoder as an additional parameter.
    but dont forget to check it first like mplayer -af 15.5:2 filename.avi you can reduce or increase volume viz. 10.4:1 or 29.0:2 .....
    hope this helps!
    thanks
    -paul
    06-22-13 05:10 PM
    We have a major problem here QuackQuack147. Not many on the Playbook forum speak Martian.
    06-22-13 05:38 PM
    If you don't want to be bothered with a stupidly and needlessly complicated and drawn out process like posted above, just use Freemake Video Converter. It has a built in preset for PlayBook and works just fine, resulting in perfectly acceptable quality and reasonably conversion times, even on a relatively unpowerful computer.
    rebroker2009 and meikle like this.
    06-22-13 05:44 PM
    We have a major problem here QuackQuack147. Not many on the Playbook forum speak Martian.
    -> you mean this?
    let me retranslate. you need to do this in command line. you need a tool called mencoder its a mplayer bundle package.
    it lets you convert anything to anything else, i passed some special strings. it helps you tone and tune your video into such high quality and also 720:576 and also 10000 bitrate @ 16:9 , which means excellent size 720 by 576 @ 16:9 aspect and at 10000 bitrate. which is an eye soother. i dont know how to do this using some GUI but command line does the trick.
    thanks
    -paul
    06-22-13 05:52 PM
    If you don't want to be bothered with a stupidly and needlessly complicated and drawn out process like posted above, just use Freemake Video Converter. It has a built in preset for PlayBook and works just fine, resulting in perfectly acceptable quality and reasonably conversion times, even on a relatively unpowerful computer.
    how you crop the videos and make them 10000 bitrate and boost the volume? all in one single line? which is easier? errrrrrm anyway i find oneliner better than a gui and check buttons everywhere. you need a normal p4 @ 1.6 ghz to do this. sigh!
    sometool just eats resources and blah blah memory, when one line does all the trick.... anyway choice is yours. i offered my help which was just one liner, use what you feel best.
    ball is in your court. ;-)
    hope this helps.
    thanks
    -paul
    06-22-13 05:56 PM
    The fact of the matter is that most videos don't need to be converted to play on the PB- the issue you're most likely to run into is trying to play videos that use unsupported audio codecs (generally AC3 audio). There are converters that will convert only the audio while leaving the video alone, among these are XVID4PSP and Avidemux. The advantage of these programs is that the whole conversion process for a two hour movie can be done in maybe 8 to 10 minutes, versus an hour to two hours or more for full video conversion.The trick is to first find out the audio and video codecs used in the vids that you want to transfer to your PB. This can be done using a program such as MediaInfo or the windows based VLC media player will tell you this. So, if the video codecs in the video you want to transfer is supported by the PB but the audio is not, try one of the programs I listed to just convert the audio. If the video codecs are not supported, you'll need to do a full conversion with a program like Handbrake.

Alternatively, if you're willing to spend a few bucks, you can install Streaming Now (in app world) on your PB and its media server on your PC. This program can do a full conversion of the video or convert only the audio when appropriate. Or, for a few more bucks, you can install Kalemsoft Media Player on your PB and not have to convert anything for playback on your PB.
    samson47, meikle and FF22 like this.
    06-22-13 09:33 PM
    how you crop the videos and make them 10000 bitrate and boost the volume? all in one single line? which is easier? errrrrrm anyway i find oneliner better than a gui and check buttons everywhere. you need a normal p4 @ 1.6 ghz to do this. sigh!
    sometool just eats resources and blah blah memory, when one line does all the trick.... anyway choice is yours. i offered my help which was just one liner, use what you feel best.
    ball is in your court. ;-)
    hope this helps.
    thanks
    -paul
    90% of users here do not want a command line solution, including, I'm pretty sure, the OP. Trying to remember all those options may get very slightly better results, but it is indubitably much, much simpler to load up a GUI, browse to the video file and simply press the "Playbook" button and let it handle everything else. Most of us haven't got a chance of remembering all those options so would have to look them up every time or write a batch/bash script for them or something. What I suggested is far, far simpler for the average user of these forums, and has perfectly fine results.
    06-24-13 07:04 AM
    90% of users here do not want a command line solution, including, I'm pretty sure, the OP. Trying to remember all those options may get very slightly better results, but it is indubitably much, much simpler to load up a GUI, browse to the video file and simply press the "Playbook" button and let it handle everything else. Most of us haven't got a chance of remembering all those options so would have to look them up every time or write a batch/bash script for them or something. What I suggested is far, far simpler for the average user of these forums, and has perfectly fine results.
    Thanks for the renewed chuckle - that is scrolling past Quacks suggestion is humorous - good intentioned but humorous nonetheless.

Quacks: if you could create a batch file, that could be more helpful even for those of us who do recall Commandline programs.

And let me say, coming up with the symbol took a bit of googling!
    06-24-13 08:46 AM
    I'd agree with an earlier post in this thread - I very rarely have to convert anything (the PlayBook, really, does have excellent video codec support), and anything I do need, tends to be just the audio from AC3.

Personally, I find avidemux, by far, is the easiest solution for conversion of audio from AC3, since it will leave the video encoding as is, so you've only got the hit on re-encoding the audio - which will be far quicker and less intensive than reencoding both, or the video - plus avidemux allows you to batch / queue a number of runs like this.

I'm no stranger to converting video, over the years, I've used avidemux for it, AutoGK, GK, largely manually using virtualdub, plus several other utilities. I've got no issue with command line stuff, but I don't do it sufficiently frequently to remember command-line switches, plus it's easy to make a typo, so I'm nearly always going to use some GUI front-end to something like ffmpeg, mencoder, mplayer et al.
    FF22 and meikle like this.
    06-24-13 09:07 AM
    Thanks for the renewed chuckle - that is scrolling past Quacks suggestion is humorous - good intentioned but humorous nonetheless.

Quacks: if you could create a batch file, that could be more helpful even for those of us who do recall Commandline programs.

And let me say, coming up with the symbol took a bit of googling!
    wow i got a new dimension and a definition Quack^2 sweet. i am screwy with batch programming. but i will try and see if i can write a powershell script. and by the way i need to install windows OS also so i need to play a little with the forgotten OS from M$ called windows server which i use only incase of emergency.
    and yes 99% what you folks said is right. this is the best fine cut i can come up as a template for Blackberry Playbook and it fits real nice and yes its also true its hard for an ordinary user to remember and implement all the params and values and switches.
    i will see what best i can do and i am still very weak with powershell. i hope i will be able to write a powershell script soon, but first i need to learn it well, powershell.
    thanks F2 for turning me into a quadratic equation. ;-)
    and others hold on a little longer, i need to do multiple things, rooting, my own work, terrible thing called M$ OS w2k8r2 and powershell, and basic coding and lastly forum posts. kindly adjust...
    thanks
    -paul
    FF22 and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    06-24-13 11:07 AM
    cut him some slack,,, he's a code guy who's very helpful,,, some of the things he's into/working on are groundbreaking...
    axllebeer likes this.
    06-24-13 12:31 PM
    Animatrix-Jue_vs_Thadeus.mpg.mkv - Download - 4shared - quack quack
    this is after minimalistic conversion. i havent passed 3 stage or three phase conversion i have increased the hue and other stuffs i cropped the image and i added more saturation. and this is the original video have a look at both the videos and you are the judge of your own judgement. and tell me which one is an eye catcher. i cropped the image and added saturation and hue and other stuffs. pending 6 more passes and more bitrate enhancements and 6 channel sound overlapping 2 channel existing sound.
    hope this helps.
    thanks
    -paul
    Last edited by quackquack147; 06-24-13 at 01:18 PM. Reason: edited
    06-24-13 01:17 PM
    Animatrix-Jue_vs_Thadeus.mpg.mkv - Download - 4shared - quack quack
    this is after minimalistic conversion. i havent passed 3 stage or three phase conversion i have increased the hue and other stuffs i cropped the image and i added more saturation. and this is the original video have a look at both the videos and you are the judge of your own judgement. and tell me which one is an eye catcher. i cropped the image and added saturation and hue and other stuffs. pending 6 more passes and more bitrate enhancements and 6 channel sound overlapping 2 channel existing sound.
    hope this helps.
    thanks
    -paul
    You mean SHE gets better!
    06-24-13 02:23 PM
    You mean SHE gets better!
    we got minors here right? thats all the exposure i am allowed i guess. i got other stuffs which are REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD. and her getting better. man i wish i was into CGI and stuffs. i am a dumb *nix/linux (r) guy. :-( even if i try i still cant make her better. but i can make the video better. as of now only 2 and a half pass.
    say in a few hours i will give each video a therapy and massive passes and hue and more cropping and saturation and 6 channels and blah blah! thats all i can offer for now.
    i will start a micro project soon. converting those videos automatically with major fine adjustments via powershell, which will do all these in a easy peasy. all you need to do is give the dumb script the input values, you can enjoy a bottle of beer or two and it will be done.

hope this helps!

thanks
    -paul
    06-24-13 02:41 PM
    Can I ask a quick question?

I'm downloading videos onto my PB, and most are playing - some avi's do play and others don't - (they all play perfectly on my pc's). Therefore, I'm unable to determine whether they are "protected" in some way, or whether it is this AC3 audio issue. Is there a way to tell? Looking at one example that doesn't play - I don't think it's the AC3 issue, as the properties box confirms that it is:

320kbps bit rate
    2 channel stereo
    48khz audio sample rate

None of which seems like a big ask for the PB to play. The only message I get from the PB is "Media Error - The file type isn't supported" - is it a DivX encoded AVI that is the problem? Apols, I'm no video expert... I don't actually know whether the affected avi files are DivX encoded or not - it was just a thought.

Therefore, is the solution:

1 - To download a better video / media player that plays a wider range of video formats? (all videos are being played locally)

2 - To convert the file into something else that the PB will accept and play? Ifso, what is the best video format to convert into for optimal playback on the PB or when outputting to a receiver for large screen playback via HDMI?

Many thanks for any suggestions!
    01-24-14 04:01 PM