Ok, I'm a bit new new to the world of BlackBerry - I was given a PlayBook for christmas and I've had plenty of fun getting to grips with it and sideloading android apps etc. But I'm really interested in what you can do with Bridge - apparently you can control the playbook with it amongst other things?
    At the moment I'm still using an android handset, but since it's on it's last legs I was wondering whether to pick up an older BB phone to play around with, as I've read that the BB10 phones don't have the same amount of Bridge functions?

So, mainly: What can I do with a Bridged BB phone and a PlayBook? and Would I be better with an older BB phone or waiting till I can afford a Z10 (mainly in respect of the phone/playbook functionality)

05-22-13 11:07 AM
    Hey, Check out this document. It's from BlackBerry, and it explains everything you might want to know!

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...1921710_11.jsp

Good luck,
    Last edited by DYLANHABKIRK; 05-22-13 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Missing Link
    05-22-13 11:11 AM
    With a Z10 the phone can act 1. like a wifi hotspot, giving you wireless capabilities on a wifi only playbook and 2. like a remote for the playbook, handy when watching videos on the HDMI out. Other than that I don't think there's a lot going on as you can tether the playbook from android and ios, I think.
    With an older BB not running BB10 I believe you can do the above and text and BBM through the playbook, which would be very cool if they could replicate that on the Z10 and / or other devices.
    05-22-13 11:23 AM
    With older bb phones, you can open email, calendar, tasks and memos on the pb. The info remains on the phone. So if the pb were lost, your data from those apps would not be there for the finder to exploit.

You can still use some other bridge functions on the z10 (q10) - Open On, allows you to be viewing a webpage or photo or some other things on the phone and then transfer control/viewing to the pb. And as noted, you can kind of use the bbphone as a "mouse" to control actions on the pb.
    xanderten50 likes this.
    05-22-13 11:37 AM
    Ok, I'm a bit new new to the world of BlackBerry - I was given a PlayBook for christmas and I've had plenty of fun getting to grips with it and sideloading android apps etc. But I'm really interested in what you can do with Bridge - apparently you can control the playbook with it amongst other things?
    At the moment I'm still using an android handset, but since it's on it's last legs I was wondering whether to pick up an older BB phone to play around with, as I've read that the BB10 phones don't have the same amount of Bridge functions?

So, mainly: What can I do with a Bridged BB phone and a PlayBook? and Would I be better with an older BB phone or waiting till I can afford a Z10 (mainly in respect of the phone/playbook functionality)

hmmm,,, tough call, there, imo,,, i'll try to be as unbiased as i can here,,, BB10 is still growing, & will be, for a while,,, & yes, the bridge function is crippled,,, from what i've read, (i've only had the "Z" in my hands for a couple mins., & it's very fluid), there are just too many bugs for ME to consider a BB10 device right now,,, i own a Torch 9850, (9860=GSM version), & a playbook,,, they pair EXCELLENTLY,,, on one hand, you have the real estate of a full touch screen, (my prior phone was a BB Curve 8330, QWERTY), & even MORE real estate on the playbook for emails & such,,, some speak highly of the Bold series/playbook combo, but they are QWERTY w/ almost 1/2 the screen size,,, you'll have to consider also what you'll be using your playbook for,,, media, work, emails,,, if you use it mostly for media & games i'd say use the wait & see approach as far as BB10 is concerned,,, if you want to use it in conjuction w/ your phone, you can have the following bridge functions:

1-read/send texts,emails,BBM(it's not native to the playbook,,, yet...), calls will show via pop-up but not answerable...
    B-access phone, calendar,( there's also a native calendar), contacts, memo pad, music, (only one song playable @ a time, better to load music to playbook), pics, etc...
    3- remote control, you can use your phone as a keyboard/mouse via 2 fingered scrolling function...
    D- you can stream movies, but it's better to load them directly also...
    5- you may already know, the playbook hdmi out ability is nice for movies & games, i recommend @ least 10' (3m) or 12' ft (4m) cable...
    F- BB10 on playbook is the subject of a very hot debate here right now, & may or may not come to playbook,,, it's a coinflip...
    7- my OPINION @ this time is that if you can get a 9850/9860 cheap or free & bridge w/ playbook, you should have alot of fun w/ both devices & will tide you over 'til BB10 sorts itself out...

hope this helps...
    xanderten50 likes this.
    05-22-13 11:38 AM
    Hey, Check out this document. It's from BlackBerry, and it explains everything you might want to know!

Good luck,
    link may help... ;-)
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    05-22-13 11:39 AM
    With a Z10 the phone can act 1. like a wifi hotspot, giving you wireless capabilities on a wifi only playbook and 2. like a remote for the playbook, handy when watching videos on the HDMI out. Other than that I don't think there's a lot going on as you can tether the playbook from android and ios, I think.
    With an older BB not running BB10 I believe you can do the above and text and BBM through the playbook, which would be very cool if they could replicate that on the Z10 and / or other devices.
    also consider, depending on your carrier/plan, that you may have to pay extra for a mobile hotspot...
    xanderten50 likes this.
    05-22-13 11:40 AM
    Thanks guys, really appreciate the responses :-)
    05-22-13 12:49 PM
    Also, you might consider it is relevant that, after disappointing all normal people for providing a tablet without mail because it could bridge, they took long months to provide a half baked mail client, then some more long months to make that half baked mail client able to turn vertical, and eventually they removed the bridge functionality from their new phones.

Just so you get an idea of who you're dealing with.

Blackberry will always find a way to disappoint you. It's their mission.
    05-22-13 03:19 PM
    Also, you might consider it is relevant that, after disappointing all normal people for providing a tablet without mail because it could bridge, they took long months to provide a half baked mail client, then some more long months to make that half baked mail client able to turn vertical, and eventually they removed the bridge functionality from their new phones.

Just so you get an idea of who you're dealing with.

Blackberry will always find a way to disappoint you. It's their mission.
    this response was relevant in 2011
    xanderten50 likes this.
    05-23-13 07:16 AM
    Thanks for reminding me that I still had a 2011 calendar hanging on my wall.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    05-23-13 02:06 PM
    Thanks for reminding me that I still had a 2011 calendar hanging on my wall.
    another few years & you can reuse it...
    05-23-13 03:03 PM