I haven't seen any videos (or even screenshots) of Bing Maps for the Playbook. I haven't even heard any mentions of it aside from one line in Kevin's review (he said he didn't like it).

Could someone with a PB do a quick little review of the Maps app? Or maybe post a short video? Is there pinch-to-zoom? Is it fast? Choppy? Does it utilize the GPS? Does it have some of Bing's desktop features (like bird's eye view, 3D buildings, etc)

Thanks!
    04-18-11 05:09 PM
    Just go here and you can try it out: Bing Maps - driving and transit directions, routes, traffic conditions

Yes, it's the same.
    04-18-11 05:11 PM
    My personal experience with Bing maps has been negative too. The google maps application on my storm 1 beats the **** out of bing maps on the playbook.
    As of when I'm writing this, Bing maps:

a) is choppy
    b) has a crappy pinch to zoom that barely works
    c) when you use the gps button to find where you are it does so in a choppy way... and then zooms out to city view and when you zoom in, you lose where you were...
    d) directions work, but theres no way its better than google maps
    e) moving around and bird's eye view work.....BUT Bing maps on my playbook over wifi lags so much more than my ****ty storm 1 with a weak 3G signal...nowhere near as smooth as an ipad even though the playbook should be a beast at this kind of stuff

I was sooo disappointed. The power button for me was fine, only a few thousand apps apps...more than enough...

BUT the Bing maps app??? IT was GARBAGE. It seems like they made the app to simply sorta work and no extra effort was done. I wanted to smoothly zoom around the globe, check out cities, do lots of stuff on a dual core QNX system....but all I got was this lousy bing maps.... .

One day, it'll come, a nice map application for Playbook...(browser is ok, but a little hard to get at those little buttons at times)
    05-04-11 03:11 PM
    I'm sure there will be a beast of a maps app coming soon - the hardware is perfect for it...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-11 03:18 PM
    I concur. Googlemaps is a much better application and implementation. I sincerely hope that there will be a googlemaps app for the Playbook as bing maps is falling short.

I live in Jamaica and bing has very basic maps for here as opposed to googlemaps. I know google is all about Android, but hey, microsoft is all about windows phone 7, so I don't see why there woudn't be a googlemaps app as well...let's hope eh?
    05-04-11 03:22 PM
    I have to guess that MS paid Rim like they paid Verizon to include Bing Maps.

While you can pinch and zoom the maps, you canNOT pinch/zoom the text side of the screen and picking an item in a "small text" list is not that easy.

But it will show BARS along your route (MADD will not be amused)
    05-04-11 03:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD