08-15-13 07:34 AM
51 123
tools
    I got now Sony Xperia Z tablet... although, I still preferred my PlayBook's OS over Android... but I can't deny that this XZT rocks... if only there is a way to install BB10 on it, it would be a perfect tablet for me... why we can't have that "privilege" even we are willing to pay more?...

Posted via Z10
    08-04-13 10:29 PM
    I'm actually considering buying a Microsoft surface to replace my PlayBook. I would like to use it for college, especially because of the whole Microsoft office package. Is it good for that type of use ?

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 01:36 AM
    Believe the Surface RT comes with OfficeRT. Don't know how it differs from regular office which can be used on the Surface Pro but you had better check before you buy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    08-05-13 03:35 AM
    Yes, the Surface RT comes with Office. It's a special version of Office, and it's missing things like Excel and Word macros, for instance. Even so, it does look really impressive.

I'll admit, I'm likely looking at a Surface RT as well. There are a few things on it that look really interesting.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    08-05-13 03:43 AM
    I don't think RT is a good idea. While good now, it looks to become obsolete like the PB. The Pro is a better but pricier choice. For the price vs performance, probably the new Nexus 7 wins out.
    08-05-13 09:44 AM
    I'm actually considering buying a Microsoft surface to replace my PlayBook. I would like to use it for college, especially because of the whole Microsoft office package. Is it good for that type of use ?

Posted via CB10
    Don't know what you plan to study but you may also need to use other windows programs beside office. Basically a laptop would seem to be a better choice for college.

08-05-13 02:17 PM
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but with the Playbook not being officially upgradeable to BB10 you might consider an alternative tablet and my vote went to the Microsoft Surface RT. If you haven't had a look at it, I suggest you do -

- great hardware (as long as you can get used to the bigger size)
    - best browser hands down, believe it or not even better than the playbook's
    - type cover keyboard works very very well - best cover keyboard integration I have seen to date
    - Full Office included for free - Word, Excel, Power Point, OneNote, and Outlook!! (Outlook in the latest 8.1 preview) Really great if you want to get some work done on your personal tablet
    - USB and HDMI out and SD card capable
    - with a purchased app, its capable of playing 720p MKV's decoded in AC3 or DTS and outputs nicely via HDMI out to a flat screen - so nice to be able to do that.
    - RT version is much lighter and has much better battery life than the Surface Pro (approx. 7-9 hours of battery life in my experience)
    - it hackable so if you like to tinker its been "Jailbroken" and there is a community much like this one that works on hacks and apps
    - can be had for cheap right now through some incentive discounts

IMHO a much better alternative to an iPad and Android Tablet, and since I have bought it I haven't touched the Playbook. To be fair, the cons are a lack of apps (heard that before) and the power charger and speakers could be better. It's not full blown Windows so it can't run standard x86 applications, but in turn you get better battery life and a lighter weight unit with the addition of not having the standard Windows OS virus concerns. Also, the ability to run Office and the fact its included for free is huge.

It's been getting a bad rap in the press, but its a every capable unit in my opinion and makes the iPad and Android tabs look like toys. Fire away with any questions you have and I'll try to answer.

Sophace
    I use an android 8.9 LTE tablet. Awesome for work, email, serfin the net.

Sent from my SGH-I957R using CB Forums mobile app
    08-05-13 02:20 PM
    I've been wondering if I'd be happy with a RT. Right now the apps kind of suck and it's about the same as bbry, lack of.
    08-05-13 02:39 PM
    This is exactly the type of conversation I was looking for!

As for MS Surface, is the difference in weight and battery life between RT and Pro versions so dramatic in favour of the former?
    There is *kind of* a comparison between the RT and the Pro here:
    Which Surface is right for you? - SKU Chooser

While it doesn't actually put a figure on the battery life, it does say that:

Weight
    RT = 680g
    PRO = 907g

Thickness (Thinness LOL!)
    RT = 9.3mm
    PRO = 13.5mm

The screen resolutions are slightly different between the two, as are the ports, anyway the link is above :-)
    FF22 likes this.
    08-05-13 03:30 PM
    Don't know what you plan to study but you may also need to use other windows programs beside office. Basically a laptop would seem to be a better choice for college.

I used my PB last year and it was really practical. Don't want a laptop. I think it's better to sell my pb now cuz in a few months it'll be impossible to sell it for more than 5$. Problem is, surface might experiment the same end as pb...we don't want to make the same mistake twice

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    08-05-13 07:53 PM
    the new nexus 7 2 sounds great, can't wait till it comes to my country
    08-05-13 08:03 PM
    I used my PB last year and it was really practical. Don't want a laptop. I think it's better to sell my pb now cuz in a few months it'll be impossible to sell it for more than 5$. Problem is, surface might experiment the same end as pb...we don't want to make the same mistake twice

Posted via CB10
    The Surface RT is hardware. The Windows 8.1 OS is not going anywhere. It just came out and the RT runs it. Perhaps is MS releases Windows 9 in a year or two, the RT might not be upgradeable, but that really won't make much of a difference. My company is still 100% on Windows 7. Heck, Windows XP was just EOLed.

The PlayBook was completely abandoned. No more updates, no more apps, nothing. A Surface RT today will be receiving MS updates for years and years to come. The Windows Store will only grow. MS is not going anywhere.
    08-05-13 08:08 PM
    The Surface RT is hardware. The Windows 8.1 OS is not going anywhere. It just came out and the RT runs it. Perhaps is MS releases Windows 9 in a year or two, the RT might not be upgradeable, but that really won't make much of a difference. My company is still 100% on Windows 7. Heck, Windows XP was just EOLed.

The PlayBook was completely abandoned. No more updates, no more apps, nothing. A Surface RT today will be receiving MS updates for years and years to come. The Windows Store will only grow. MS is not going anywhere.
    Uh yeah, Microsoft won't abandon their wares...

Microsoft Kin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    08-05-13 09:26 PM
    To sophace : you say type cover keyboard works well, but what about the digital keyboard ?

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 12:16 AM
    The ipad mini is the best alternative because like the PlayBook it is used by me! I like the mini as I believe a tablet should not be the size of a phone book.
    08-06-13 02:48 AM
    The killer feature of the PB is the HDMI-out, and it seems the closest alternative are nexus devices for having miracast

Sent from my "CrackDroid" Nexus 4 using the Mobile Nations App
    08-06-13 03:43 AM
    To sophace : you say type cover keyboard works well, but what about the digital keyboard ?

Posted via CB10
    The digital keyboard is pretty good. It has 3 modes, and the one I use most is so that when you are holding it at its sides like a steering wheel, you can use your thumbs to hit all the letters. It works really well and fast that way. To be honest, the type keyboard is great though, definitely take advantage of it.

For the college student, I think the RT is ideal. Its small, thin, light, the type keyboard is very usable, it has pretty much full versions of office (Word even has track changes - never seen that anywhere else but a full blown OS), has Skype for group projects, plus for personal use it has the best browser (full flash) and games and the ability to watch full 720 mkv's with an HDMI out. Plus you really can get 8-10 hours of batt life without heavy gaming use, web and word processing no problem.

As far as Microsoft support, who knows how long it will last. I figure even if the RT isn't super popular, it runs Windows 8.1 right now with Outlook and the full office Suite. Even if they did nothing further, how long could that last you? Additionally, from jumping into some of the developer forums, the RT is very very similar to full blown Windows (its been "jailbroken" already to run X86 apps - still elementary and a work in progress) so it probably is not a huge amount of work to adapt what they are doing for Windows to work on the RT. IMHO - this will last 3-4 years and be useful with the current setup alone. More than I can say for the PB, and I think Microsoft likely has a 2-3 year plan to support it before deciding to cut it off.
    08-06-13 11:59 AM
    Thx, I think I made my choice.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 04:48 PM
    PlayBook

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 05:40 PM
    The killer feature of the PB is the HDMI-out, and it seems the closest alternative are nexus devices for having miracast

The Surface RT has HDMI out....
    08-14-13 08:11 AM
    There is no "best" alternative to the PlayBook experience.
    08-14-13 11:18 AM
    Not trying to be funny here (but it's admittedly a plus):
    the best alternative for the PlayBook ATM still is the PlayBook itself IMHO.It does exactly what you'd expect from a PlayBook and you can get it "dirt cheap".
    08-14-13 11:55 AM
    Not trying to be funny here (but it's admittedly a plus):
    the best alternative for the PlayBook ATM still is the PlayBook itself IMHO.It does exactly what you'd expect from a PlayBook and you can get it "dirt cheap".
    I agree its dirt cheap but its been virtually abandoned by Blackberry. And its old tech. Compared to the RT, and the newer android tablets and I hate to say it, the iPad even, its slow and cumbersome. Hardware is 2+ years old. Sure, its a very capable device for the money, but after 2 plus years I feel safe in saying you get what you pay for.
    08-14-13 01:25 PM
    I agree its dirt cheap but its been virtually abandoned by Blackberry. And its old tech. Compared to the RT, and the newer android tablets and I hate to say it, the iPad even, its slow and cumbersome. Hardware is 2+ years old. Sure, its a very capable device for the money, but after 2 plus years I feel safe in saying you get what you pay for.
    If the BB releases the bootloader, that would change everything (well at least for current PB owners)

08-14-13 02:07 PM
    And its old tech
    I do agree its old tech and at its old price it would be ridiculous. At its current price it is still, however, pretty "nifty" tech, if you ask me.
    Last edited by Hirazi Blue; 08-14-13 at 02:41 PM.
    08-14-13 02:24 PM
51 123