Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but with the Playbook not being officially upgradeable to BB10 you might consider an alternative tablet and my vote went to the Microsoft Surface RT. If you haven't had a look at it, I suggest you do -

- great hardware (as long as you can get used to the bigger size)
    - best browser hands down, believe it or not even better than the playbook's
    - type cover keyboard works very very well - best cover keyboard integration I have seen to date
    - Full Office included for free - Word, Excel, Power Point, OneNote, and Outlook!! (Outlook in the latest 8.1 preview) Really great if you want to get some work done on your personal tablet
    - USB and HDMI out and SD card capable
    - with a purchased app, its capable of playing 720p MKV's decoded in AC3 or DTS and outputs nicely via HDMI out to a flat screen - so nice to be able to do that.
    - RT version is much lighter and has much better battery life than the Surface Pro (approx. 7-9 hours of battery life in my experience)
    - it hackable so if you like to tinker its been "Jailbroken" and there is a community much like this one that works on hacks and apps
    - can be had for cheap right now through some incentive discounts

IMHO a much better alternative to an iPad and Android Tablet, and since I have bought it I haven't touched the Playbook. To be fair, the cons are a lack of apps (heard that before) and the power charger and speakers could be better. It's not full blown Windows so it can't run standard x86 applications, but in turn you get better battery life and a lighter weight unit with the addition of not having the standard Windows OS virus concerns. Also, the ability to run Office and the fact its included for free is huge.

It's been getting a bad rap in the press, but its a every capable unit in my opinion and makes the iPad and Android tabs look like toys. Fire away with any questions you have and I'll try to answer.

Sophace
    Last edited by sophace; 06-28-13 at 06:27 PM.
    06-28-13 05:59 PM
    This is certainly a worthwhile discussion now that the PlayBook has been officially abandoned.

Thank you OP for posting specs for a reasonable alternative (except perhaps for the size).
    06-28-13 06:09 PM
    IPads, Apples honors their updates.
    ViBogdan likes this.
    06-28-13 07:03 PM
    I have an ASUS Windows 8 RT tablet and love the fact that it included MS Office, but the limited apps selection with the RT verses the ability to load and run full programs like I can on my Windows 8 Pro laptop is a drawback. Something to consider if buying a Win 8 tablet.
    06-28-13 07:24 PM
    The dell XPS 10 is currently 299 at the dell store. I'm seriously considering buying one.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 07:28 PM
    Hey mikeplus1 - I get what you are saying, but what confuses me is that no one ever says its a drawback that I can't load OSX programs on my iPad. I don't get why its a drawback that RT doesn't do full programs but no one ever says its a drawback you can't load OSX applications on an iPad? Not picking on you, but its something I read in reviews all the time and wondered why - It's RT not a full OS, shouldn't really be compared to a full OS like you really don't compare an iPad to a MacBook Air.

Again not picking on you, but perhaps because there is familiarity between Windows 8 and Windows RT, that expectation is stated more often.
    06-28-13 07:37 PM
    Ipad/Ipad mini... No brainier here.

Apps till your head explodes.
    taz323 and protominet like this.
    06-28-13 07:38 PM
    Actually I grabbed a pro a few nights ago. It let's me work in c++.

But I expect a lot more from it as it retailed about twice as much as my PB when I bought it new at the hight of prices.

Posted via CB from my LE
    06-28-13 07:50 PM
    Hey mikeplus1 - I get what you are saying, but what confuses me is that no one ever says its a drawback that I can't load OSX programs on my iPad. I don't get why its a drawback that RT doesn't do full programs but no one ever says its a drawback you can't load OSX applications on an iPad? Not picking on you, but its something I read in reviews all the time and wondered why - It's RT not a full OS, shouldn't really be compared to a full OS like you really don't compare an iPad to a MacBook Air.

Again not picking on you, but perhaps because there is familiarity between Windows 8 and Windows RT, that expectation is stated more often.
    Short answer is too few apps for RT. Longer answer is I would like to be able to load and use all of the same programs as on my laptop, but I knew RT's limitations going in, especially when first introduced, but I was hoping to see more apps coming out quicker, however I am not really disappointed or anything as I knew exactly what I was getting, just saying do your homework as with any purchase.
    06-28-13 10:11 PM
    The NSA and CSEC have full access to Microsoft devices. In fact when Microsoft finds a bug in their products they report the bug to the NSA and CSEC first before even developing a patch for the local community and releasing it. So if the NSA and CSEC wanted to they could compromise peoples systems...
    06-28-13 10:15 PM
    The NSA and CSEC have full access to Microsoft devices. In fact when Microsoft finds a bug in their products they report the bug to the NSA and CSEC first before even developing a patch for the local community and releasing it. So if the NSA and CSEC wanted to they could compromise peoples systems...
    Ummm Source??
    06-28-13 10:20 PM
    My recommendation from having a current gen Nexus 7 and my wife having an Ipad Mini: both are excellent choice, but I would personally wait a couple of weeks and get the new Nexus 7 coming out sometime in July.

Cheers
    kevinnugent likes this.
    06-28-13 10:38 PM
    Every tablet out there is an alternative
    You can close your eyes and pick one, it will be a better tablet than playbook
    Mark Bee, bodjor and direfan like this.
    07-02-13 07:44 PM
    This is exactly the type of conversation I was looking for!

Having heard a lot of good stuff about Nexus tab, I am too awaiting its second mutation. That said, what I really got used to and love about the PB, is the combination of the smaller size and the meant-to-be landscape orientation. Is there any other tablet on the market offering this? So far, all but one devices with screen size below 10", have the front-facing camera on their shorter side, which to me is signalling portrait orientation (the exception being Samsung's Galaxy Tab 8.9", but it's running soooo old version of Android OS that I wouldn't consider it.) The Galaxy Tab 3 series lineup announced doesn't seem to tick that one important box for me (i.e. small and landscape).

As for MS Surface, is the difference in weight and battery life between RT and Pro versions so dramatic in favour of the former?
    07-23-13 06:04 AM
    IPads, Apples honors their updates.
    I was thinking iPad Mini. I got upgrades for my very old iPhone 3GS up until iOS7. Now that's almost 4 years of good quality support compared to almost no support(let's face it, we didn't get much) for the Playbook.

The irony is that when I made the choice to buy the playbook I did it discarding the iPad mini for being more expensive at the time, and based on the illusion that we might get something better from an OS perspective(BB10 or no BB10).
    07-23-13 07:54 AM
    I currently use an iPad, Galaxy Tab 10.2, HTC Evo V, and the Playbook, so I already have plenty of alternatives. What I really want is a scalable OS that works the same, regardless of the device I use. Keep hope alive!
    07-23-13 08:04 AM
    I would go for a Kindle Fire HD 2 8.9 inch when it comes out in 2 months. Rumor has it that will have a 2500x1600 resolution, updated cpu probably and the latest android (4.3 or 5.0? ).
    For about 300$ should be the best bang for my bucks.

I consider already selling my playbook, they go for about 150$ in my country which is about half the price of that modern specs, future-maintainable tablet.

Posted via CB10 on Q10SQN100-3/10.1.0.2354/4285/4651
    JJonPB likes this.
    07-23-13 08:14 AM
    The Surface RT is on sale now for $350 I believe, even better price from when I bought it.

The difference in weight from the RT to the Pro is huge. The RT is the same weight as an iPad, the Pro is thicker and heavier and its a real noticeable difference.

Check and RT put with the full Type keyboard, I think you will come away impressed.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 10:00 AM
    I would stay away from any WindowsRT tablets. The app situation reminds me of the Playbook. After a 900 million dollar loss it is quite likely Microsoft will kill WindowsRT and just stick with full Windows8 tablets. With Haswell processors and cheaper Windows8 tablets hitting the market there really isn't a good reason to keep supporting the crippled little brother.

Ipad or Android are much safer bets.
    07-23-13 11:57 AM
    I would go for a Kindle Fire HD 2 8.9 inch when it comes out in 2 months. Rumor has it that will have a 2500x1600 resolution, updated cpu probably and the latest android (4.3 or 5.0? ).
    For about 300$ should be the best bang for my bucks.

I consider already selling my playbook, they go for about 150$ in my country which is about half the price of that modern specs, future-maintainable tablet.

Posted via CB10 on Q10SQN100-3/10.1.0.2354/4285/4651
    Great hint, thanks! To what extent is Kindle Fire's OS 'Amazon-ed', though?

STL100-2 10.1.0.2354
    07-23-13 08:44 PM
    I just picked up a Nexus 7 and it's a fantastic device with every app I require of it so far. No real complaints. Good price point and couldn't be bothered to wait for the new model.

For the compromise of price point and quality I don't think you can go wrong with it.
    If I wanted high end big screen laptop replacement it would be the Surface Pro but I have my HP Ultrabook for anything the Nexus can't handle.
    ventz likes this.
    07-23-13 09:52 PM
    Just been to a store selling a boat of tablet models - all sizes and shapes. None looked as good as PB.

STL100-2 10.1.0.4633
    coldsword likes this.
    08-04-13 07:47 AM
    I replaced my PlayBook with a Microsoft Surface RT. I immediately installed the Windows 8.1 Preview (final to be released this or next month) and it is quite good. Some of the features that PlayBook users might like:

1. Quad-core processor. 1.3 GHz. 2 MB RAM.
    2. Full multitasking. Even running up to three apps at the same time on the screen. No slowdown at all.
    3. MicroSD expansion slot
    4. HDMI output (great for watching Netflix on the big screen)
    5. Kickstand.
    6. Full Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse support (effectively turning it into a PC), especially if using HDMI output to a monitor.
    7. USB port (connects to most printers, scanners, etc.) Drivers install automatically.
    8. Stereo speakers
    9. FULL MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook)
    10. Most important apps (Skype, Netflix)

The iPad doesn't compare well to the list above. I'm really enjoying the RT.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-04-13 08:26 AM
    I replaced my PlayBook with a Microsoft Surface RT. I immediately installed the Windows 8.1 Preview (final to be released this or next month) and it is quite good. Some of the features that PlayBook users might like:

1. Quad-core processor. 1.3 GHz. 2 MB RAM.
    2. Full multitasking. Even running up to three apps at the same time on the screen. No slowdown at all.
    3. MicroSD expansion slot
    4. HDMI output (great for watching Netflix on the big screen)
    5. Kickstand.
    6. Full Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse support (effectively turning it into a PC), especially if using HDMI output to a monitor.
    7. USB port (connects to most printers, scanners, etc.) Drivers install automatically.
    8. Stereo speakers
    9. FULL MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook)
    10. Most important apps (Skype, Netflix)

The iPad doesn't compare well to the list above. I'm really enjoying the RT.
    Two questions about apps for the RT:

How good does the app selection appear to be (link to their "appworld" I guess I could google)?

Are there a combination of free and paid apps and can developers offer apps outside of MS' influence or can apps only be installed via some MS-limited-method?

Separate: can files, videos, photos, etc just be copied to/from the RT or is it limited like ipad?

Thanks.
    08-04-13 10:19 AM
    Two questions about apps for the RT:

How good does the app selection appear to be (link to their "appworld" I guess I could google)?

Are there a combination of free and paid apps and can developers offer apps outside of MS' influence or can apps only be installed via some MS-limited-method?

Separate: can files, videos, photos, etc just be copied to/from the RT or is it limited like ipad?

Thanks.
    I think there are about 100,000 apps in the Windows Store. They seem to have great Xbox games and all the MS productivity apps, PhotoShop, Netflix, Skype, etc.. The Windows Store can only grow since all Windows 8 apps will be made available through there as the primary channel. It will be the main source for apps.

As far as I know, RT apps are only available through the Windows Store... but there is no reason for this to be the case.

The RT has a USB slot and MicroSD slot, so anything can be copied directly...including music, videos, documents, etc... no problem.
    08-04-13 10:34 AM
51 123