can someone recommend a good gps/map for the playbook thanks
    Last edited by rintoul; 06-21-11 at 08:30 PM.
    06-21-11 08:23 PM
    For now the native GPS system on the PB is slow to locate your position, or may be far off. All the mapping programs use this 'mis-guided' data. My standard location is usually fifteen miles off.

All the apps require WIFI or Tether Internet to get their map data.
    If you want to go on-line using Tether Browser then go to Google Maps
    http://maps.google.com/

In the meanwhile just pick up the free apps
    Bing Maps (native)
    Weather Map
    MapApp

I un-installed:
    Compass and GMapLE
    There are a couple of paid apps that have not had good reviews:
    Mapsearch for Google and MagellianCompass
    Last edited by mandony; 06-21-11 at 10:34 PM.
    06-21-11 08:31 PM
    all map apps suck so far, the native gps I have to disagree with Mandony on, its very accurate for me, just no good map or navigation apps yet, ive tried all & so far all are useless for me
    06-21-11 09:03 PM
    GPS has been spot on in my experience. Just need the apps baby!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-11 10:25 PM
    The locating ability of PB's GPS is below average IMO.
    Regardless hardware or app support, PB GPS is totally useless at the moment.
    You can just ignore the existence of GPS and save your time to explore and test it.
    06-21-11 11:53 PM
    I don't know - while I don't particularly like Bing, it just found me in less than 2 minutes.

The main problem is that you need wifi to get anything other than coordinates. We need onboard mapping.
    06-22-11 12:55 AM
    Bing found my location accurately within 3 seconds, but I did have to hit the blue location logo though. Im very happy with the GPS on my PB, its 100% accurate all the time. Just waiting on a good navigation app and a car mount and im set for road trips
    06-22-11 01:03 AM
    when i am at my home, gps shows me about 20-30 miles away (my tour sitting right next to PB picks up the location perfectly). However, when i visited my friend about 90 miles away, the gps was very accurate, does not make sense

06-22-11 03:52 AM
    I would kill for a turn by turn navigation app that doesn't require an internet connection.

But until that day comes, Bing Maps gets my vote.
    06-22-11 04:07 AM
    I'd settle for Bing if the GPS could ever locate me.
    06-22-11 06:55 AM
    Something like TomTom would rock on the Playbook.
    06-22-11 07:00 AM
    Bing found my location accurately within 3 seconds, but I did have to hit the blue location logo though. Im very happy with the GPS on my PB, its 100% accurate all the time. Just waiting on a good navigation app and a car mount and im set for road trips
    Mine usually says I'm in arizona or something. Or I get the "try again" error. Kinda makes me wonder about statements like that...

06-22-11 09:10 AM
    when i am at my home, gps shows me about 20-30 miles away (my tour sitting right next to PB picks up the location perfectly). However, when i visited my friend about 90 miles away, the gps was very accurate, does not make sense

This is very weird. I've been using gps' for quite a while now. If they pick up the satellites, they should be pretty darn accurate. When used at home, any particular location? That is might there be something electrical that could be interferring with reception - some strong magnet, tv, shortwave radio (my pb is beeping to tell me to turn off the sprinkler!!!), metal roof? I forget where folks have said the antenna is located on the pb.
    06-22-11 09:35 AM
    Mine usually says I'm in arizona or something. Or I get the "try again" error. Kinda makes me wonder about statements like that...

Generally, where are you, if not Arizona? Have you tried the free compass app and then plugged its results into google (not even google maps)?
    06-22-11 09:38 AM
    Minnesota. I'm not knocking the PB, but I have had 0 success with bing maps. No I havent tried the free compass app, and honestly I won't. My BB rocks with google maps. No point in wasting time trying to get the PB to work, especially if it needs wifi.

I've been tempted to get a mount made so I can use my PB as the head unit for my car stereo. At least it would be cool for music and video. Would be nice to get a decent mapping app that didn't rely on wifi. I can dream

06-22-11 09:52 AM
    I can't get GPS to work on my PB at all. Bing has never ever picked up any location - I would settle for Arizona just so that I know the unit actually has GPS built in (albeit faulty). Poynt - same - never picks up any location at all. Very frustrating. Any way though "options" or setup to "jump start" GPS?
    06-22-11 11:49 AM
    Navigon makes a GPS Apps for the iPhone that requires no data for the maps. My friend has it on his and showed me.

Judging by the size of the file, it's probably full maps.

NAVIGON MobileNavigator | NAVIGON. And the world is yours

Maybe they can male one for the PB? wishful thinking I know.
    06-22-11 12:12 PM
    Navigon makes a GPS Apps for the iPhone that requires no data for the maps. My friend has it on his and showed me.

Judging by the size of the file, it's probably full maps.

NAVIGON MobileNavigator | NAVIGON. And the world is yours

Maybe they can male one for the PB? wishful thinking I know.
    That looks awesome. Im sure someone will figure something out soon

06-22-11 03:57 PM
    I can't get GPS to work on my PB at all. Bing has never ever picked up any location - I would settle for Arizona just so that I know the unit actually has GPS built in (albeit faulty). Poynt - same - never picks up any location at all. Very frustrating. Any way though "options" or setup to "jump start" GPS?
    The free Compass app seems to work for many people to, as you say, jump start the gps.

Also try being in a very open location (no buildings or dense tree cover and give it half hour the first time or after a large change in position or if the gps has not been used for a while.
    06-22-11 04:55 PM
    That did end up working out after going outside for a bit, but lets be honest, its not really ready for the big show

06-22-11 10:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD