For longer battery life, is it better to deplete the battery in a Playbook, then charge when needed or to constantly charge or it doesn't matter either way? If it is better to deplete, then what % would be recommended (I had heard that rechargeable batteries were most stable at 40%)?
    12-14-11 05:57 PM
    Current opinion and advice for all intelligent Lithium batteries: Charge when power is available and convenient, keep it topped up. The charging circuits in your PB should keep the battery in optimum condition without overcharging.
    12-14-11 06:20 PM
    Current opinion and advice for all intelligent Lithium batteries: Charge when power is available and convenient, keep it topped up. The charging circuits in your PB should keep the battery in optimum condition without overcharging.
    What branta says but never deplete the battery - don't let it go below 5% minimum. If stored for a long period of time, take it out occasionally and top up. Top-up=good; drain=very bad.

Edit: My apologies for speeading misinformation. See peter9477's post below.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 12-14-11 at 09:18 PM.
    EricB1968 likes this.
    12-14-11 06:26 PM
    I try not to let my PlayBook battery drain below 20%, however on two occasions it went below 5%. I charge my PlayBook overnight everynight and it last throughout the day with normal usage since May.
    12-14-11 06:32 PM
    Top-up=good; drain=very bad.
    Me Tarzan, me like response.

^5
    12-14-11 06:36 PM
    There are so many opinions out there on whether to charge every chance you get, regardless of battery level, and those who believe you should deplete your battery to near zero, and then recharge...I just do what I've been accustomed to, by looking at battery level, determine what kind of use I will make of the device on any given day or week, and charge accordingly. Planning ahead is my mantra, as in the 6 P's, (PPPPPP).
    12-14-11 06:38 PM
    opinions are 1 thing, but facts can't be disputed.

lithium-ion batteries lose their capacity after a certain number of deep discharges. most batteries are rated at ~500 deep discharges. exceed that number, and you run the risk of losing battery capacity.
    12-14-11 08:06 PM
    Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries
    this is a great site to look at details on how and when to charge your electronics lithim batteries.
    I have always charged my phones and PB overnight. Most phones and tablets have a built in battery protection. When it gets to low it shuts off to protect the device and the battery. Both the USB and rapid chargers can not over charge your battery. They will top it. When it is full it stops charging and runs on ac power.
    12-14-11 08:21 PM
    There's just so much misinformation it's hard to keep up with the spread.

Apologies to anyone here whom I'm directly refuting... nothing personal:

1. Your battery is losing capacity this very instant, has been since it left the factory, and will be until you trash the device. As osubass1 says, there's a certain rating for it, but it does not simply keep the capacity up until you hit 500 discharges, then suddenly die. In fact what happens is by the time you get around 500 discharges (the exact number is irrelevant) it will have lost enough of its original capacity that you'll want to replace it anyway. It will still work just fine, but for a shorter period after each charge. This gradual loss is visible as the "Health" reading reported by Battery Guru.

2. You absolutely should not fear discharging the battery below 5%, or any percent. I do it all the time, and so do many people, with no ill effects except possibly getting caught short some days if they forget to recharge soon enough.

What could happen to damage the battery, would be if you discharged it all the way and then left it on the shelf, uncharged, for weeks or months on end. The battery has integral circuitry which consumes a tiny bit of current (nanoamperes) at all times, and this will gradually drain the residual charge from the battery, until the voltage drops below a lower limit and basically destroys the battery. (It won't explode... it just won't work well or at all after that.) This voltages is probably below 3V or so... but the PlayBook shuts itself off at 3.4V! There's really no way that this level is low enough to damage the battery, so whether it reads 5%, or 1%, or has sat at 0% for an extra half hour, feel free to keep using the PlayBook until the moment it shuts off.

Battery Guru will show you the actual battery voltage as well, so you can monitor that and be confident that, if it still says anything like 3.4V or higher, your battery is completely safe.

branta's advice is perfect: charge it whenever you want, drain it as much as you want, and DO NOT WORRY about it. (But that doesn't mean I don't think you should all go and buy Battery Guru, just to give you more information to obsess about! ;-) )
    12-14-11 08:27 PM
    Another reason for recommending the topping up of battery charge as frequently as possible - to enable PB to run on its own power while being software wipe/reinstall connected to PC if the PB's battery is not charging... happened to me

During my last Aug session with tech support while trouble shooting my previous bricked PB, black screen, lights blinking, battery not accepting charge, I was told that if the PB needs a complete software wipe/reinstall to replace factory installed software while connected to the PC PB manager, my PB MUST be capable to run on its own remaining battery power for 20 mins to perform the critical step of the software overhaul... otherwise, game over... I need to ship the playbook to RIM.

Hence, it is prudent to have as much battery charge remaining as possible...something like have a couple of spare tires in your car if you are going for long trips
    Last edited by Ric01; 12-14-11 at 08:36 PM.
    jamesharmeling and peter9477 like this.
    12-14-11 08:33 PM
    Hey Gang,

Someone told me in a store that using the rapid charger instead of the USB original charger affects the battery life. More you use the rapid charger, less you battery will last.

Is that true?

Thanks,
    01-03-12 11:56 AM
    Hey Gang,

Someone told me in a store that using the rapid charger instead of the USB original charger affects the battery life. More you use the rapid charger, less you battery will last.

Is that true?

Thanks,
    In my opinion the difference would not be noticable over the life of the device.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-03-12 12:05 PM
    Me Tarzan, me like response.

^5
    Tarzan make big mistake. Give baaad advice. Friend peter9477 smart - says playbook built like brick banana so no worry.

Friend Spock smart too - says battery will live long and prosper (no matter when you charge it, what you charge it with or how long you charge it for)
    01-03-12 01:37 PM
    Thanks for the good battery info!!
    One question. MY playbook is sitting beside me plugged into the computer via USB2.0. The battery shows a Plug icon on it, is it actually trying to charge?
    OK, maybe two questions. Conversely, If I forget to unplug the USB, go vacuum the house, come back and find the computer went into s3 sleep (this motherboard doesn't have fancy USB charging circuits) will that discharge by battery or have no effect?
    01-04-12 09:17 AM
    It's my understanding the plug icon is indicating the PB is using more power then USB is providing.
    There should be no ill effects from leaving it plugged in when the computer sleeps.

The USB is the slowest charging method. The PB should be off to effectively charge it using USB.
    peter9477, neild1 and Boight like this.
    01-04-12 09:43 AM
    MY playbook is sitting beside me plugged into the computer via USB2.0. The battery shows a Plug icon on it, is it actually trying to charge?
    OK, maybe two questions. Conversely, If I forget to unplug the USB, go vacuum the house, come back and find the computer went into s3 sleep (this motherboard doesn't have fancy USB charging circuits) will that discharge by battery or have no effect?
    If you don't see the lightning bolt symbol it's a sign that the charger is not supplying enough current to charge above some arbitrary threshold RIM has specified. It may be charging very slowly, or even discharging (but less than it would if not plugged in). I don't think anyone has reported the results of any effort to investigate what the threshold might be, but it's probably safe to assume it will take many hours (>10) to charge that way.

I've done a test on my own laptop and it took over 12h to charge from empty.

Also note that since the screen uses so much power, you cannot actually use the tablet at the same time as it's charging from USB, or it will simply continue to drain, but a bit more slowly than normal.

As for the second question, I can't say for sure, but it's very likely it will have no measurable effect to leave it plugged in. Generally significant power can't be drawn from a USB port without the cooperation of driver software inside the device, and the PlayBook can certainly control how much current is available to external devices so it should be clamped to zero (effectively) and you won't notice it. No guarantees until you try it though...
    01-04-12 09:43 AM
    Hi, all-I got my PB 2 days ago & all is fine with it but I am hoping to get my battery concerns put to rest on this thread. I plugged it in (supplied wall charger) at 10pm last night to charge overnight & unplugged it at 6:45am this morning. After having it awake for only 5 minutes, I noticed the battery icon was not totally green. When I checked it, it was at 99%. I knew that was odd after reading up on all the battery/charging threads here, so I simply updated an app & plugged it in to my laptop to try finishing the charge that way. When I tapped the battery to put it in standby, it was now at 95%. Keep in mind I used it for all of 5 minutes tops. It has now been plugged in to my laptop for 3 1/2 hours (I'm checking it about once an hour & putting it back in standby immediately) & it is only up to 96%. I understand from previous posts here that it can take nearly 12 hours to fully charge on a computer from a dead battery, so I'm just wondering if I could be looking at upwards of 6 hours? If I can't get it to 100%, should I just use it until the battery is so low it shuts off & then recharge it?

I know there are many conflicting opinions about this, so I appreciate any all advice.
    01-06-12 12:14 PM
    Hi, all-I got my PB 2 days ago & all is fine with it but I am hoping to get my battery concerns put to rest on this thread. I plugged it in (supplied wall charger) at 10pm last night to charge overnight & unplugged it at 6:45am this morning. After having it awake for only 5 minutes, I noticed the battery icon was not totally green. When I checked it, it was at 99%. I knew that was odd after reading up on all the battery/charging threads here, so I simply updated an app & plugged it in to my laptop to try finishing the charge that way. When I tapped the battery to put it in standby, it was now at 95%. Keep in mind I used it for all of 5 minutes tops. It has now been plugged in to my laptop for 3 1/2 hours (I'm checking it about once an hour & putting it back in standby immediately) & it is only up to 96%. I understand from previous posts here that it can take nearly 12 hours to fully charge on a computer from a dead battery, so I'm just wondering if I could be looking at upwards of 6 hours? If I can't get it to 100%, should I just use it until the battery is so low it shuts off & then recharge it?

I know there are many conflicting opinions about this, so I appreciate any all advice.
    I think you have to perform a certain number of charging cycles (full charge ?) to make your battery capacity to the top. So you may experience better battery life within a few days/weeks, depending of your usage.
    @Peter9477: please just put me a hole in the head if I'm going wrong
    01-06-12 12:45 PM
    Lyls:
    Use the supplied wall charger to see if your hitting 100%. It could save you hours of checking and checking.
    The USB charge is so slow that you should really turn off the PB to charge. By the time you boot it up it will probably be under 100% again. Depending on the output of your USB you may be losing battery charge just by checking the level. The plug icon on the battery is indicating you are not gaining any charge.
    01-06-12 01:32 PM
    I think you have to perform a certain number of charging cycles (full charge ?) to make your battery capacity to the top. So you may experience better battery life within a few days/weeks, depending of your usage.
    @Peter9477: please just put me a hole in the head if I'm going wrong
    As I understand it, Lithium batteries need no special treatment like that for their own benefit.

The only reason to expect some effect from the first few charges is an apparent change in capacity due to the software that produces the % estimate recalibrating itself from early use. This isn't a real change, but it's going to look much like it in most cases.

If you were to do a full charge followed by a full drain (till it turns itself off) under controlled conditions (stable power consumption) the day you got the device, I believe you'd get effectively identical results if you did it again a week later after 5-7 recharges, or even a few weeks later.

So no holes needed: while there's no reason to do a special charge or discharge right away, you may see some apparent change (hopefully an improvement!) in the battery level readings after the first few recharges as a result of this recalibration.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-06-12 03:24 PM
    Thanks so much for the advice, everyone. i did plug it back in the wall & it got to 100% within 40 minutes. I'll let it run down until it shuts off & then re-charge.

Thank you again for the help! Your knowledge base allows me to stay current on tech trends & I love that!
    01-06-12 04:21 PM
    As I understand it, Lithium batteries need no special treatment like that for their own benefit.

The only reason to expect some effect from the first few charges is an apparent change in capacity due to the software that produces the % estimate recalibrating itself from early use. This isn't a real change, but it's going to look much like it in most cases.

If you were to do a full charge followed by a full drain (till it turns itself off) under controlled conditions (stable power consumption) the day you got the device, I believe you'd get effectively identical results if you did it again a week later after 5-7 recharges, or even a few weeks later.

So no holes needed: while there's no reason to do a special charge or discharge right away, you may see some apparent change (hopefully an improvement!) in the battery level readings after the first few recharges as a result of this recalibration.
    They actually do but in modern electronics and software the user is not trusted to do it.
    The system takes over.
    01-06-12 04:21 PM
    They actually do but in modern electronics and software the user is not trusted to do it.
    The system takes over.
    Are you suggesting that our PlayBooks are performing some special procedure during the first few recharges?

Or would this be something done by the manufacturer before the battery is even shipped to RIM's assembler?

Any references to what this special procedure is?
    01-06-12 04:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD