Looking into getting a WiFi only Playbook and wanting to tether it to my BlackBerry when I am out and about. I have a BlackBerry Storm 2 which is only available up to OS 5.0 so was wondering if it will be possible
    09-10-12 06:28 AM
    Yes, OS5 and upwards is Bridge compatible.
    09-10-12 06:45 AM
    Thanks, I understand that it is bridge compatible but I thought internet tethering was a different thing. That's why I'm not sure
    09-10-12 06:46 AM
    Thanks, I understand that it is bridge compatible but I thought internet tethering was a different thing. That's why I'm not sure
    As long as my Bridge / bluetooth are on & within range, my Playbook uses my phones data which I think, isn't called tethering.

I used to tether my laptop to my Torch via a USB cable.

So yes.
    Last edited by Ben1232; 09-10-12 at 06:53 AM.
    09-10-12 06:49 AM
    I you can browse the internet on your playbook using that method?
    09-10-12 06:50 AM
    The bridge allows you to surf and do MOST internet capable things. You still need wifi for things like video chat and appworld.

If you are talking about your blackberry being a mobile hotspot, that is not possible, only the OS7.1 devices can do mobile hotspot
    Barljo likes this.
    09-10-12 06:51 AM
    I you can browse the internet on your playbook using that method?
    Yes, if you use your Bold, you can setup mobile hotspot if you're on the correct OS too.
    Barljo likes this.
    09-10-12 06:51 AM
    I just want to browse internet pages on the Playbook while I'm out and about and don't have a WiFi signal so wanted to use my BBerry OS5 device to give me 3G
    09-10-12 06:52 AM
    Bridge is probably the best way to start to be honest, as your moby provider may charge extra for "tethering". With Bridge, in theory, they can't tell that you're not using your phone - you're using your BB data, but the bigger screen of the playbook.

Once connected, it's easy to tether if you prefer (just an option under settings), but I've always found that using the bridge between PB and BB worked absolutely fine for me.

PB does not currently support plugging into something else (except for your PC/laptop for transferring files and backup etc).

Hope that this helps, but any worries, just shout up!
    09-10-12 06:55 AM
    +1 what QuIcKsIlV3r said.

You can browse when not near wifi. I bought my playbook and found this feature by accident.

I didn't know about it when I first got the PB.
    09-10-12 06:55 AM
    So if Bridge does all these things, what is the need for the 'tethering' option?
    09-10-12 07:01 AM
    I used to tether to my laptop whilst on the train for example.
    09-10-12 07:02 AM
    So if Bridge does all these things, what is the need for the 'tethering' option?
    The bridge doesn't do everything that a WiFi or mobile hotspot connection provides. For example, you can't connect to App World or check for/download OS updates for the PB over the bridge. I have also heard that mobile hotspot is faster, but someone with more knowledge and experience with that might be able to confirm or deny.

Also, with mobile hotspot, I believe you can connect multiple devices to your phone, where with bridging it's strictly 1-to-1 PB to BB.
    Barljo likes this.
    09-10-12 07:21 AM
    Bridge is no extra charge on most carriers and it allows you surf. Tethering is usually an additional charge depending again on your carrier, same goes for wifi hotspot.

For me with my carrier wifi hotspot isn't faster than bridge or only slightly but no hspa+ for me either.
    Barljo likes this.
    09-10-12 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD