Is this just a mini computer or is it also a phone?
    02-13-11 10:29 PM
    Really!? Get ready for some bashing...go use ur buddy google u'll figure it out qcuk
    02-13-11 10:43 PM
    Just a question. I dont know anything about it. Excuse me.
    02-13-11 10:47 PM
    PlayBook is RIM's forray into the tablet realm and seems to be the kick back into relevance for BlackBerry after a few years of updates. It has some solid hardware and a brand new OS thanks to RIM's pourchase of the company QNX. Read these forums and watch the YouTube vids. More info ill be out this week during Mobile World Congress.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-11 10:51 PM
    I would like to know if it's also a phone?
    02-13-11 10:54 PM
    As far as I know, it doesn't have phone capabilities, the first model to come out will be wifi only, so for sure no phone capabilities, don't know enough about the 3g and 4g versions! Hope that helps
    02-13-11 10:56 PM
    it will not act as a phone, as in make calls
    02-13-11 11:08 PM
    The PlayBook is RIM's tablet device. The PlayBook is not a phone. At first, RIM is releasing a wifi-only version. At later dates, a 3G/4G PlayBook will be released. Look for the wifi-only version at the end of March 2011.

The PlayBook will use a completely different OS than a BlackBerry phone. Search around; there are plenty of videos on here that show it off. You can also do a Google search like someone else suggested.
    mandar.deodhar likes this.
    02-13-11 11:24 PM
    a lot of your questions will be answered by visiting this website:

BlackBerry - 4G PlayBook Tablet PC. Get BlackBerry 4G PlayBook Tablet

if you still have questions, feel free to post.
    02-13-11 11:33 PM
    Really!? Get ready for some bashing...go use ur buddy google u'll figure it out qcuk
    Most people I know still haven't heard it before. The op is excused for not knowing what it is. I think RIM needs to work harder on getting the PlayBook brand out there to the general public rather demoing them to tech blogs and conventions because it's starting to look old.
    yoze15 likes this.
    02-13-11 11:59 PM
    I think more than not knowing about it was the idea that the OP posted in a forum where it's nothing but info and speculation about the device. All it would have taken was some reading since the OP already found the forum. But, since the forums are about answering questions, most of us worked towards answering the question.
    02-14-11 12:02 AM
    I think more than not knowing about it was the idea that the OP posted in a forum where it's nothing but info and speculation about the device. All it would have taken was some reading since the OP already found the forum. But, since the forums are about answering questions, most of us worked towards answering the question.
    exactly, otherwise i would have put a big fat GOOGLE IT picture:P
    02-14-11 12:04 AM
    Here Playbook info

02-14-11 12:11 AM
    The PlayBook is RIM's tablet device. The PlayBook is not a phone. At first, RIM is releasing a wifi-only version. At later dates, a 3G/4G PlayBook will be released. Look for the wifi-only version at the end of March 2011.

The PlayBook will use a completely different OS than a BlackBerry phone. Search around; there are plenty of videos on here that show it off. You can also do a Google search like someone else suggested.
    Will I be able to make calls after connecting (bridging) pb to bb ?
    02-14-11 03:59 AM
    The bridging does not send VOICE data (sms/calls), as far as I am aware. It definitely sends PIM data though (emails, BBM, Calender, etc) There is a video calling option available over WiFi most likely though.
    02-14-11 04:14 AM
    You will be able to video conference on the PlayBook, but not make phone calls.

02-14-11 08:09 AM
    02-14-11 08:18 AM
    The playbook is something some have claim to have seen but without any proof; there has been "footage" of it but at best is sketchy and poor, sometimes with low lighting... So without any definitive proof it exists it is pretty much left up to the individual to make up his own---

--- oh, wait, I'm sorry. That's the Loch Ness Monster.

Last edited by kb5zht; 02-14-11 at 01:36 PM.
    02-14-11 01:21 PM
    No no, that's Bigfoot! What're the chances Kevin has one?
    02-14-11 01:23 PM
    While this guy should have just googled for his answer, you can't really blame him for anything other than that.

There are 45 days left before RIM is supposed to have this product in our hands, and yet millions of people just like this guy who posted have NO idea what a playbook even is because RIM failed to market their product to the masses, and even left us power-users in the dark on a lot of key features of playbook that could determine whether many of us purchase it or not.
    02-14-11 01:31 PM
    While this guy should have just googled for his answer, you can't really blame him for anything other than that.

There are 45 days left before RIM is supposed to have this product in our hands, and yet millions of people just like this guy who posted have NO idea what a playbook even is because RIM failed to market their product to the masses, and even left us power-users in the dark on a lot of key features of playbook that could determine whether many of us purchase it or not.
    Total agreement here regarding this poster's exposure of rim's failing in marketing. You would think they would figure out that so far they have pretty much limited their potential customer base to the subset of existing bb users that are the most loyal and the most informed... Which that could still yield respectable sales- not monumental- but we shall see if they break out of their shell and advertise this thing.

02-14-11 01:43 PM
    Persistent bugger aren't you? (kidding). Phone yes. Well no. Maybe. Heck, we've only seen videos of it. It might be like the Sasquatch or the Lochness monster, since it's proving to be quite elusive.
    02-14-11 11:02 PM
    No no, that's Bigfoot! What're the chances Kevin has one?
    Chances are pretty slim that Kevin has one, but since he does live in Canada, I'd say that's because he has a better chance at having one than most. I mean, Big Foot prefers the colder temps up north and woods, right?

As far as a PB, if Kevin does have one, he's doing pretty well not tipping his cap to us about it. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if he's been responding/posting/blogging to the site from one.

Is it a phone? Well, kinda. It does have a front facing camera for video calling, so if it can do that via WiFi using something like Skype (to where you don't actually need to have it bridged with your BB), then I suppose it is a phone. Of course, that means your home computer is a phone too.

Lastly, I still think a little research would have given the OP the answers he/she was looking for, regardless of the RIM marketing machine's efforts.
    02-15-11 08:40 AM
    Given that the OP has a join date of July 2010 and at some point has contributed some 53 posts to the forums and found this forum, with all its exclusive info, to post his Q, I would have assumed that his knowledge should have been broader than his question acknowledges.
    FoxxBerry likes this.
    02-16-11 09:47 PM
    Given that the OP has a join date of July 2010 and at some point has contributed some 53 posts to the forums and found this forum, with all its exclusive info, to post his Q, I would have assumed that his knowledge should have been broader than his question acknowledges.
    ya never know, i just answer them cause that's what forums are for
    02-16-11 09:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD