Evening all, firstly a bit about myself, I got my pb in the december sales and haven't put the bloody thing down yet, cracking bit of kit, don't have a bb phone yet but i'm considering one.
    Any way to the point of this, my employer is thinking of issuing Ipads to staff at work, but they already use bb phones and I think that the pb would suit their needs better, so I would like your help if I may. Aside from cost and size, why would you choose a pb over another tablet ? I need to take into account how easy it would be to write a custom app for it to or side load a bespoke program onto the table.

I'd prefer it not to turn into a slanging match please.

Thanks for any assistance
    02-18-12 03:10 PM
    Portability. Plus, if you have BB phones, that's cost saving with the Bridge. Your employees will be able to access internet anywhere where there is a wireless signal without your company needing to pay extra for tethering plans.
    02-18-12 03:11 PM
    Thanks for that,
    I think the bridge function will be of interest to them, can you connect the pb to the net via the bridge ? I'm guessing yes, but not 100% lol the other thing they will be interested in is the security side of it, not physical but information wise ?
    02-18-12 03:35 PM
    Will you be using BES? If so and with Mobile Fusion, you'll be able to manage the PB right along with the phones, the best mobile security out there. If you do some research you'll find that the PB has been chosen by many companies and governments to use in security sensitive applications. It was one of my company's main requirements and we have been happy with them. Also their use in medical facilities has shown the trust in the PB security as patient records has become a very big security issue. Many mentions of that on the forum also.

One of our service certification requirements from an aerospace company we do warranty service for specified that the only tablet we would be authorized to use for records and communication involving them would be the PB, due to the sensitive data not being retained on the PB, but only on the phone. The same reason that when the PB receives native email, we will be forced to disable it.

As to the custom apps, we're in the process of doing that now. We've had no problems finding devs able to do it.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-18-12 at 04:05 PM.
    Andy Winstanley likes this.
    02-18-12 03:56 PM
    Thanks for your responses,
    I'm not high enough up the food chain as to BES or not, but I would guess yes lol, though they don't seem massively into tech aside from bb phones, which naturally made me think of the pb when I heard they was thinking of tablets. I have to take mine in on Monday to let the boss have a play, I'll get them to download bridge so they have full functionality lol
    02-18-12 04:06 PM
    Good call. Not to mention, the big update comes out Tuesday so then you will see even more functionality between the handheld bb and the pb. I think it's a safe bet that if you bring it to their attention that I hey will consider it. It really is a fantastic pairing as far as phones and tablets go ay
    cntrydncr223 and rotorwrench like this.
    02-18-12 04:12 PM
    Hey, it works that way lol. That's exactly what I did. We were doing trials on three other tablets and they wouldn't pass our security protocols. I brought my PB into work for them to try and long story short we now have 7 and 2 more next week.
    cntrydncr223 and hpjrt like this.
    02-18-12 04:14 PM
    Bridge is a great functinality on the pb. I travel constantly due to the nature of my job and I have a BB Torch 9800 which I used it to bridge it to the pb. I have internet access everywhere my phone does. I find myself writting Word documents and spreadsheets and emailing them for work which are native to the pb. Though a tablet is not a requirement at my job, I bought the pb and its a perfect match. Not to mention the crisp looking movies I get to enjoy on a plane. Battery life is excellent as well. I hope this helps.
    cntrydncr223 and rotorwrench like this.
    02-18-12 04:20 PM
    Awesome With these bigger names switching its nice to hear about companies adopting BB
    02-18-12 04:21 PM
    Thanks a lot folks, plenty of info for me to take in, think I'll back my pb up on Sunday night and just let them have a play with it, obviously with the proviso that if they break it they buy me the 64Gb version lol
    02-18-12 04:33 PM
    One more thing. The PIM apps (email, calendar, contacts) in OS 2.0 look very promising. Being able to work with multiple email messages and cross-integration of those apps are an example. I am pretty sure business users, like in your case, will find those features valuable.
    02-18-12 04:46 PM
    Will you be using BES? If so and with Mobile Fusion, you'll be able to manage the PB right along with the phones, the best mobile security out there. If you do some research you'll find that the PB has been chosen by many companies and governments to use in security sensitive applications. It was one of my company's main requirements and we have been happy with them. Also their use in medical facilities has shown the trust in the PB security as patient records has become a very big security issue. Many mentions of that on the forum also.

One of our service certification requirements from an aerospace company we do warranty service for specified that the only tablet we would be authorized to use for records and communication involving them would be the PB, due to the sensitive data not being retained on the PB, but only on the phone. The same reason that when the PB receives native email, we will be forced to disable it.

As to the custom apps, we're in the process of doing that now. We've had no problems finding devs able to do it.
    ok to most of this.
    just some more inputs :
    - fusion will come with a solution named balance, that will precisely offer a perfect isolation between personal and professional environments. So you don't have to restrict any functionality or app in personal environment because they can be forbitten in the pro one. As an example you can't copy or forward a pro. mail to a personal contact.
    - about apps, not solely the new platforms for developping are awsome, but companies using fusion will be able to push proprietary apps to the sole destination of their granted users into a dedicated new tab within AppWorld.
    In summary pb+bb phone+fusion is nothing but huge and yet unknown power ...

Edit : follow this link to know all about fusion and balance, you may have to read twice to believe !
    http://ca.blackberry.com/business/so.../mobilefusion/
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 02-18-12 at 04:58 PM.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    02-18-12 04:49 PM
    Agreed 100%. Balance is what everyone at work is excited about. We will now be able to load personal apps and info and get the BES Gestapo off out backs LOL. No need for a separate personal phone if the work environment is security sensitive. But you have to update to the new BES, but when you do update, we get another free PB. We've already done it. Just waiting now
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-18-12 at 05:11 PM.
    02-18-12 05:02 PM
    Thanks a lot folks, plenty of info for me to take in, think I'll back my pb up on Sunday night and just let them have a play with it
    If I were you I'd wait until you have OS 2.0 on it after Tuesday before letting them play with it - should be more responsive, with more capability. You could be doing the PB a disservice showing it just before the release.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-18-12 05:10 PM
    Not a bad idea, although my skeptical boss was seriously impressed as is
    Salleh likes this.
    02-18-12 05:25 PM
    To be honest, I could not recommend any tablet/computer/phone etc without asking exactly what the intended use was. In other words, if they needed pptp vpn access, or needed to do video or music editing I would politely point you in another direction (not to insinuate that these things won't come, it's just that they don't right now).
    If they need portability, excellent email (OS 2), security, hdmi direct, RDP, free docs to go, flash web etc... GO PB ALL THE WAY!!!

I love my PB, and have done so since launch day.
    kennyliu, Spencerdl and Toodeurep like this.
    02-18-12 05:33 PM
    Thanks for your responses,
    I'm not high enough up the food chain as to BES or not, but I would guess yes lol, though they don't seem massively into tech aside from bb phones, which naturally made me think of the pb when I heard they was thinking of tablets. I have to take mine in on Monday to let the boss have a play, I'll get them to download bridge so they have full functionality lol
    May I suggest you bring it in on Wednesday instead? After tuesday there will be huge improvements. Especially to the productive side of it. Besides email, calendars ect. they are improving documents to go (I havn't heard anything about the adobe reader but I hope that get's improved too) Also, bridge will be greatly improved too...especially if they have a 9900.
    02-18-12 06:16 PM
    Some great suggestions here, I to would wait until after you upgrade. show them the product as they would be getting it. As mentioned above, PPTP vpn os lacking currently, I'd love to see that in OS2, but not holding me breathe.

One thing I really think you should point out is the size. For me, it is perfect. It's the difference between me taking my playbook with me everyday, and my iPad that became a coffee table browser. If your boss is buying these for a mobile workforce, M ake sure it's a device that they will actually take with them.
    02-18-12 06:59 PM
    02-18-12 07:11 PM
    One thing I really think you should point out is the size. For me, it is perfect. It's the difference between me taking my playbook with me everyday, and my iPad that became a coffee table browser. If your boss is buying these for a mobile workforce, M ake sure it's a device that they will actually take with them.
    And yet, most people aren't choosing between a pair of tablets, and in fact use the one they have. I get the portability argument, but it's not as though that portability has done much for adoption.
    02-18-12 07:13 PM
    I just thought I would post an update,i took my pb in today as unfortunately the gentleman I needed to see wasn't in tomorrow, but, he was very impressed with the playbook and so was everyone else who saw/played with it ! I took a risk and left it with them for the full shift and aside from some silly photos she was unharmed lol. I popped in a few times to gauge reactions and try to answer any questions they had, the main one being about bespoke software for it and would it intergrate into our software.
    Everyone was very impressed with the size and functionality of it and i pointed out that it would be improved in the next update. Even if the man with the cheque doesn't authorise them for site I know there will be at least 5 purchased for home use lol.
    Thanks everyone for your input as i directed them to crackberry for any info I couldn't supply.
    02-20-12 02:55 PM
    How do you all get free internet on your PlayBook with bridge? Every time I try to acces the internet on my PlayBook while its bridged, I get a message saying I need to upgrade my plan in order to use this function. Right now I pay $15 a month for data and to get this feature I would have to pay $50.
    02-20-12 03:06 PM
    Have you tried bridge browser? the normal browser will not work when bridged.
    02-20-12 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD