We're a business, just bought 10 more Playbooks.

Yes we bought 10 more. We're using them for...

--field input-retrieve platform for web-based services like Salesforce.com (the screen is much better for inputting than a smartphone). This is for salespeople and also field service people. General SFDC use as well as Workflows (automated routing of multi-person actions)

--General use as companion to BB Bold, Curve and Torch phones for viewing email attachments, web access, etc. Some of our emails are just too large, or the attachments are too large, for a smartphone to work really well.

The first item above is a big part of our customer strategy and field performance improvement.

To do this with any other tablet would cost us much more $$$$, up front and in monthly fees.
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 06-09-12 at 11:12 AM. Reason: sp
    06-09-12 11:07 AM

--field input-retrieve platform for web-based services like Salesforce.com (the screen is much better for inputting than a smartphone). This is for salespeople and also field service people. General SFDC use as well as Workflows (automated routing of multi-person actions)

--General use as companion to BB Bold, Curve and Torch phones for viewing email attachments, web access, etc. Some of our emails are just too large, or the attachments are too large, for a smartphone to work really well.

The first item above is a big part of our customer strategy and field performance improvement.

To do this with any other tablet would cost us much more $$$$, up front and in monthly fees.
    How I wish school boards would do the same for the money they poured into getting iDevices.
    06-09-12 11:17 AM

very nice!!
    06-09-12 12:36 PM
    I still laugh when i see sales reps in stores with their big bulky ipad2's that cost them 3x as much as buying a playbook to do the exact same thing.
    Cracklen and alnamvet68 like this.
    06-09-12 01:02 PM
    I still laugh when i see sales reps in stores with their big bulky ipad2's that cost them 3x as much as buying a playbook to do the exact same thing.

Don't want to start a flame war, but at one point the playbook had a really high price point...Did you laugh at all the people that paid 3-400 bucks for a pb....I purchased a playbook because of the price...I wish I was able to download all my favorite ipad apps on it...I know you might say "who needs apps when you have a power browser". Navigating some of the sites I visit is a pain, as well as the browser hanging up and the constant force closing....

I seen all your magic tricks
    Abracadabralous
    My crowd gather around; it's the resurrection of Lazarus
    rcm1301, kennyliu and Rello like this.
    06-09-12 01:17 PM
    Don't want to start a flame war, but at one point the playbook had a really high price point...Did you laugh at all the people that paid 3-400 bucks for a pb....I purchased a playbook because of the price...I wish I was able to download all my favorite ipad apps on it...I know you might say "who needs apps when you have a power browser". Navigating some of the sites I visit is a pain, as well as the browser hanging up and the constant force closing....
    the flame is lame when you say "at one point had a really high price point". Early adopters often pay more. Pricing is tough, especially for new/emerging/growth products.
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 06-09-12 at 01:30 PM.
    06-09-12 01:28 PM
    Yeah, who needs 37.5 quadrillion apps when the PB comes standard with a power browser?

Oh, and yes, school boards would learn a thing or two about how to save money if they would only divest themselves from Randi Whinegarten and her gang of overly self entitled and self annointed criminals and thugs.
    jrohland and bbfan1040 like this.
    06-09-12 01:29 PM
    How I wish school boards would do the same for the money they poured into getting iDevices.
    There are plenty of reasons why to pick an iPad over a PB.

App count is far better, especially when it comes to more specialized apps that are built for education.

The iPad has more ways to keep adult sites off the screen for the kids. Android tablets and the PB doesn't.

It is far easier for the children to use the iPad because the majority of the kids already knows how it works, from their iPhones, iPods and own iPads. No one owns a BB phone that they would want to play with. And remember, BB's are tools not toys so that's an easy point.

There are of course numerous more reasons that you obviously know about.

And as far as the guy up top goes, cool, great that you found a use for the PB. If I ran a company I would have switched over to an iPhone/iPad or an Android solution ages ago but that's just me of course. As well as many companies.
    06-09-12 01:52 PM
    It is also vey easy tout use a pb as long as you have not being brainwash to use an ipad.

App count is far better, especially when it comes to more specialized apps that are built for education.

The iPad has more ways to keep adult sites off the screen for the kids. Android tablets and the PB doesn't.

It is far easier for the children to use the iPad because the majority of the kids already knows how it works, from their iPhones, iPods and own iPads. No one owns a BB phone that they would want to play with. And remember, BB's are tools not toys so that's an easy point.

And as far as the guy up top goes, cool, great that you found a use for the PB. If I ran a company I would have switched over to an iPhone/iPad or an Android solution ages ago but that's just me of course. As well as many companies.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    06-09-12 02:06 PM
    It is also vey easy tout use a pb as long as you have not being brainwash to use an ipad.
    Not really. Put an iPad and a PB in front of a child and watch what happens.
    06-09-12 02:09 PM
    I can tell you what happened with my 5-year-old. He is so used to the PB that when I put an iPad in front of him, he kept swiping the bezel. When he found out that nothing happened, he went back to the PB.
    06-09-12 02:17 PM

If a school has problems keeping adult sites off the screen, the school's sysadmin is not doing his/her job. Just put up a firewall and bingo!

With flash support and tonnes of flash sites for education, the PB would in fact be much more versatile than the iPad right out of the box. When 1 $iPad = 2.5 x $PBs, the difference in money can buy you lots of apps for the PB. And if the order is large, you can use the difference to pay developers to make custom apps.
    DREXcb likes this.
    06-09-12 02:20 PM
    I can tell you what happened with my 5-year-old. He is so used to the PB that when I put an iPad in front of him, he kept swiping the bezel. When he found out that nothing happened, he went back to the PB.
    Wait until he reaches 12 and discovers his dad is the only one stuck behind the curve and everyone else is using iPads and Android devices.

Your son is also not a good example of the majority of kids in schools today.
    06-09-12 02:39 PM
    Wait until he reaches 12 and discovers his dad is the only one stuck behind the curve and everyone else is using iPads and Android devices.

Your son is also not a good example of the majority of kids in schools today.
    I agree. Most of them have been iBrainwashed.
    06-09-12 02:42 PM
    If a school has problems keeping adult sites off the screen, the school's sysadmin is not doing his/her job. Just put up a firewall and bingo!

With flash support and tonnes of flash sites for education, the PB would in fact be much more versatile than the iPad right out of the box. When 1 $iPad = 2.5 x $PBs, the difference in money can buy you lots of apps for the PB. And if the order is large, you can use the difference to pay developers to make custom apps.
    School budgets don't work that way. If they can't afford it this year, they will put it aside and get it next year. Most schools won't get anything but iPads.

It doesn't matter that the PB might be easy. The iPad is easier. Schools don't want to develop their own apps for the most part. It's easier to use the same apps more or less already available, which also helps compability between other schools.
    06-09-12 02:45 PM
    Congrats! It's cool to continue to see business and industry adapt the PB for their use. My company needs to catch up with yours We started with one, four more, then two more to make seven. Another being added in a couple of weeks and our sister facility starting to integrate them next month.

What's funny are the posts from bashers spouting that the PB is not a good business tool yet business, industry, hospitals, clinics, govt agencies, municipalities, law enforcement etc..... all continue to adopt the PB for their needs and are very pleased with it's performance. And a majority of those users adopted the PB AFTER trying other tablets, including my company. Maybe the PB didn't meet the needs of those bashers but that doesn't mean it's not a success with others.

The strength of the PB is not just one or two features, but the culmination of several to form a package that make it a much more practical tablet for many commercial and private users. Of course there are weaknesses, as in all tablets and platforms, but in my opinion the strengths outweigh the weaknesses. Apparently other commercial and govt enterprises agree.
    jafobabe and Toodeurep like this.
    06-09-12 02:47 PM
    I agree. Most of them have been iBrainwashed.
    You don't need to be brainwashed to see an iPad is far superior for educational needs.
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-09-12 02:49 PM
    Congrats! It's cool to continue to see business and industry adapt the PB for their use. My company needs to catch up with yours We started with one, four more, then two more to make seven. Another being added in a couple of weeks and our sister facility starting to integrate them next month.

What's funny are the posts from bashers spouting that the PB is not a good business tool yet business, industry, hospitals, clinics, govt agencies, municipalities, law enforcement etc..... all continue to adopt the PB for their needs and are very pleased with it's performance. And a majority of those users adopted the PB AFTER trying other tablets, including my company. Maybe the PB didn't meet the needs of those bashers but that doesn't mean it's not a success with others.

The strength of the PB is not just one or two features, but the culmination of several to form a package that make it a much more practical tablet for many commercial and private users. Of course there are weaknesses, as in all tablets and platforms, but in my opinion the strengths outweigh the weaknesses. Apparently other commercial and govt enterprises agree.
    What features do you think businesses are really looking for? Other than bang for the buck?
    06-09-12 02:50 PM
    You don't need to be brainwashed to see an iPad is far superior for educational needs.
    Actually, are iPads really that useful? My kid's school hasn't been given iPads yet the children are learning just fine.
    06-09-12 02:53 PM
    Actually, are iPads really that useful? My kid's school hasn't been given iPads yet the children are learning just fine.
    /facepalm It has been proven time and again that kids using the iPad in schools are faster at learning, are wanting to learn and also have fun while doing it.

You liking the PB is cool but try and be realistic.
    06-09-12 02:58 PM
    So what? Is your 5y old suppose to be the benchmark of what tablet is acceptable?
    kennyliu and jivegirl14 like this.
    06-09-12 03:17 PM
    We just ordered 7 and 12 Mobile Fusion License to manager all 12 playbook tablets that we use for company use.

Account managers to show off presentations and apps to our client and potential new clients (Marketing)
    06-09-12 03:18 PM
    Gee - it must be sunny out. Everyone is out from under the bridges!

Great post OP! As for kids, my 2.5 year old granddaughter has no problem working with my PB or her mother's iPad. She learns from both. She has fun with both. Kids don't need iPads in school. Lazy teachers might need them but kids don't.
    rotorwrench, Toodeurep and wellard like this.
    06-09-12 03:32 PM
    What happens?

Sent from.....the future.
    rotorwrench and Toodeurep like this.
    06-09-12 03:35 PM
    Gee - it must be sunny out. Everyone is out from under the bridges!

Great post OP! As for kids, my 2.5 year old granddaughter has no problem working with my PB or her mother's iPad. She learns from both. She has fun with both. Kids don't need iPads in school. Lazy teachers might need them but kids don't.
    The educational system in the U.S. is lacking when compared to certain European and Asian countries. In those countries however the iPad is also being used in some schools, increasing learning and productivity.

Don't blame the teachers, blame the system.
    06-09-12 03:37 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD