Couldn't even use it. It was stuck on the Blackberry ID screen. I tried to reboot it and froze. I asked the worker how to use it and he didn't know. He tried rebooting it twice.

It's a shame. I know it may not be like this in every best buy but... it's still a little bad when you can't get a test unit running to show it off.
    10-09-11 12:54 AM
    There was a huge thread about the type of abuse the PlayBook demo units get in stores. It's quite sad.
    10-09-11 12:56 AM
    Lots of these types of stories all over the place, it IS quite sad really that the stores can't/won't train their staff properly and keep up with the demo units they are showing.
    10-09-11 01:05 AM
    The real sad thing here is that the Playbook didn't work. For every finger that touches a Playbook, I am sure 100 touch an iPad. The iPad continues to work. The Playbook was released incomplete and mine (seems like many others) was buggy. Couldn't be happier with my iPad.
    10-09-11 08:07 AM
    Same with Best Buy in Bloomington, IL Both mobile phone area and computer area have Playbooks which are useless. My rocommendation would be to only desplay on charger stand that way charging connection does not short out.
    10-09-11 08:25 AM
    Kinda the same thing a saw in Staples. It was not usable cuz it wanted a Wi-Fi connection but there was no Wi-Fi in there. I still bought one anyways. Then I saw why it wanted Wi-Fi connection, it wanted to download the OS to be usable. Happy with my PB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-11 08:53 AM
    The real sad thing here is that the Playbook didn't work. For every finger that touches a Playbook, I am sure 100 touch an iPad. The iPad continues to work. The Playbook was released incomplete and mine (seems like many others) was buggy. Couldn't be happier with my iPad.
    Its unfair to say this because you have zero idea how its been used/abused.

My PB has been handled far more than any in-store display unit and it works perfect. Explain that.

I'd also like to know why the sales staff often don't know anything about the PB. The store has bought these units and they are meant to be sold. Why no training? It took me less than 5 minutes so I don't know what the problem is.
    10-09-11 12:03 PM
    I'd also like to know why the sales staff often don't know anything about the PB. The store has bought these units and they are meant to be sold. Why no training? It took me less than 5 minutes so I don't know what the problem is.
    People aren't coming in the door asking questions about it, so Best Buy isn't bothering to train people on the thing. Trust me, if Best Buy felt as though their sales issue was lack of employee knowledge on the product, they'd remedy that.
    10-09-11 12:07 PM
    I have seen this in several Best Buy stores. But it wasn't just the Playbook. Every tablet I saw in one store was seemingly broken. None of the sales people could do anything with them and they knew close to nothing about them. It was actually entertaining. Best Buy sucks right now and appears to by slowly sinking.
    10-09-11 12:13 PM
    The last time I was in my local BestBuy, every tablet on display was working besides the PB. Seems to be a common occurrence for some reason.
    10-09-11 12:16 PM
    So, everybody, just try the hard reset tip (stop & + & - buttons for 15 secs) to hopefully turn them on ! If you're very kind, check the OS version also, as it seems that most of these "ghost PB" are still in 1st release OS !

RIM does not deserve it, but loyal consumers do.
    10-09-11 12:32 PM
    The stores are incented by numbers to NOT sell the Playbook. Selling the iPad is easy and customers are happy, even if it's not the best device out there. This may/is changing due to the price differentials between iPad and the rest of the pack. We will see.

Kevin made an interesting comment on one of his podcasts, "folks don't get up in the morning thinking about whether or not to buy a tablet computer, they get up deciding on whether or not to purchase an iPad." I totally agree. Apple, for better or worse, has been able to define the tablet market and gets to fill the needs that they define. That's called market leadership and they definitely have it.

However, RIM elected to enter into a schizophrenic argument with itself, trying to decide to make and entertainment or business device. Of course with that approach, the only outcome possible was to produce a product that does neither. This lack of product focus now places them in the position of trying to re-position the product in mid-stream. Clearly not the approach to take if you're trying to enter a market with an entrenched dominant player. I suspect they still don't have a clear strategy other than to compete on price.

One hopes that RIM will get its act together at some point, but they continue to make these monumental blunders. I suspect, having two heads is not better than one in this case.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 10-09-11 at 12:36 PM.
    10-09-11 12:33 PM
    Every store my other half has set up a Playbook for display, something has been fouled up with booting the device. One of the biggest issues is WiFi. A lot of stores do not have a strong WiFi signal due to multiple devices batting bandwidth. Playbook needs a strong connection in order to download updates. Most of these models will never work because of this.
    10-09-11 02:33 PM
    Couldn't even use it. It was stuck on the Blackberry ID screen. I tried to reboot it and froze. I asked the worker how to use it and he didn't know. He tried rebooting it twice.

It's a shame. I know it may not be like this in every best buy but... it's still a little bad when you can't get a test unit running to show it off.
    had the exact same experience Friday in Futureshop. Was able to a demo running in Staples. +1 for Staples.
    10-09-11 06:39 PM
    It is sad, but not much anyone can really do when the stores clearly don't care. This was brought up in one of the earnings calls & (I believe it was Jim) sidestepped the question.
    10-09-11 09:11 PM
    Aside from their Geek Squad I have been disappointed with Best Buy service and knowledgebase. But in regard to this topic I see also the blame can be placed in part on RIM. What type of followup does the sales management do with these distribution chains? Do they call and ask how things are going, or do walk throughs at select store locations to see how the PB is being supported? Maybe pass on store feedback numbers and survey companies and go see how things are going and ask questions..... they would then see what is and is not working.

What are the Blackberry "Reps" doing?

Just sayin....
    10-09-11 09:58 PM
    A local store here in Australia has a really well made display case that showcases the Playbook and next to it the Torch. They are bridged and it's a pretty sexy display. I'll take a picture of it later - once they get the Playbook working.

The display has been there since the PB launched, and it's never worked. I wonder how many they've sold?
    10-09-11 10:11 PM
    Good points by all! When I worked at a Best Buy in NYC a few years back I recall Apple sending out dedicated reps to answer any questions that potential clients had about any Apple product. Due to their expertise and the lack of expertise by the Best Buy associates covering the PC section the customers who had the extra money would most often than not go with an Apple product. Getting back to the PB, if RIM were to authorize dedicated reps to go around showing off the PB at the retail level it would increase the reputation and perception that most non-Blackberry owners have on the PB. As I mentioned in a previous post, last week I called like 8 different Staples trying to track down a PB and most stores thought the PB was a phone. The name doesn't even stand for anything concrete to these reps. I am glad that Best Buy brought the price of the PB back to regular prices because that shows that the device is in much more hands now than it was prior to the $200 price cut. Also, they are backordering the 16gb and the 32gb (Best Buy). Staples still has the discount pricing in play though for those who still want to take advantage.
    10-09-11 10:11 PM
    Just a after-thought. I wonder why RIM don't enagage "Mystery Shoppers" to gauge the level of customer service and sales excellence in the Retail space. It's common practice with most companies.
    10-09-11 10:13 PM
    So, everybody, just try the hard reset tip (stop & + & - buttons for 15 secs) to hopefully turn them on ! If you're very kind, check the OS version also, as it seems that most of these "ghost PB" are still in 1st release OS !

RIM does not deserve it, but loyal consumers do.
    Cool! Let me get on that. Next time I am in my local Best Buy I will make sure to go over and reset the playbook and then do software updates.

Maybe if RIM released a finished product, it would have sold better. Just a guess on that though.
    10-10-11 11:03 PM
    I've been to Best Buy three times in the past two months and each time the PB was not operational.

The iPad had a special booth too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-11 11:15 PM
    I appreciate the discussion, but there are tons of these threads already. Let's consolidate the discussion in an already existing thread please.
    10-10-11 11:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD