I"m a totaly noob here so bear with me but I have to ask. Why would you need to use the new native email, calender clients if you own a BB phone and can just use bridge? My impression was that these additions were for those of us(me) who don't own BB phones.
    heppyX likes this.
    02-21-12 05:40 PM
    It really is nice that folks who don't own a BB can use PB.
    And it really is nice that folks who have a BB can use the bridge.

It's just that folks who HAVE a bb want to use the native app, since it's so pretty and new. That's what we're saying. Or at least, that's what I would like to see/use.
    In three words : the same UI.
    02-21-12 05:41 PM
    Here's how I use it:

Torch 9800 - with me almost all of the time.
    PlayBook - only with me when I need to have it with me (rarely).
    Outlook on PC at home - checks all my email accounts, has a calendar and contacts list.

Because I have my phone with me all of the time, it is what I use to enter new contacts, make calendar entries and check my email. I leave email messages on the server so they can be downloaded by Outlook at home.

Once every couple of weeks I dock my phone and go through the arduous process of using the BlackBerry Desktop Software to sync my phone's contacts and calendar with Outlook. I say arduous because there's inevitably a number of conflicts and I have to figure out which one is the most recent and either approve or decline each change.

There's no way in that I want to repeat the syncing process between Outlook and my PlayBook and have to keep three devices up to date.
    02-21-12 05:42 PM
    I"m a totaly noob here so bear with me but I have to ask. Why would you need to use the new native email, calender clients if you own a BB phone and can just use bridge? My impression was that these additions were for those of us(me) who don't own BB phones.
    Because the new native calendar and contacts work really well together on the PlayBook. If you're using your phone for the calendar and contacts, Bridge is your only option and that doesn't offer the same interoperability between applications.
    02-21-12 05:44 PM
    I'm on Outlook/BES for work email/calendar/contacts and everything syncs easily.
    I'm on outlook/BIS and it doesn't sync.

The last option is to sync calendar/contacts to your BB with Desktop Manager. Can you use Despktop Manager to sync them to you PlayBook? I have no idea what this answer is, but this would seem to be the solution for Desktop Manager users.
    NO, DM won't sync, there's no option for it. You can sync with BB, but not PB.

Are you guys looking for a fourth option that only syncs the PlayBook to the BB phone?
    No, just looking to utilize outlook to BB and PB, without using MSN (or other) or a 3rd party app.

Consequently, we/I am not able to utilize the new native apps, unless they are used individually.
    02-21-12 05:44 PM
    I believe there are three ways to sync calendar/contracts between PC and BB:

Desktop Manager
    BES
    Gmail/Windows Live/whatever else is out there

I'm on Outlook/BES for work email/calendar/contacts and everything syncs easily.

I use Windows Live to sync my personal contacts with Windows Live Mail and calendar/contacts are syncing.

I use Gmail for a family calendar and it's syncing.

The last option is to sync calendar/contacts to your BB with Desktop Manager. Can you use Despktop Manager to sync them to you PlayBook? I have no idea what this answer is, but this would seem to be the solution for Desktop Manager users.

Are you guys looking for a fourth option that only syncs the PlayBook to the BB phone?
    Not exactly the point :I (we? ) don't want synchronisation (means physical copy). Native is fine, bridge is great ... Just raise the bridge flow at the same level.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    02-21-12 05:46 PM
    Once every couple of weeks I dock my phone and go through the arduous process of using the BlackBerry Desktop Software to sync my phone's contacts and calendar with Outlook. I say arduous because there's inevitably a number of conflicts and I have to figure out which one is the most recent and either approve or decline each change.
    I don't sync via Desktop Manager, but I am familiar with the "conflicts" screen as my wife sync's Outlook to her BB this way. I think this is the root of why RIM isn't introducing a third BB-to-PB sync into the picture. Imagine the conflicts if you made changes on Outlook, on your BB and then on your unbridged PB. If the PB and BB only sync when bridged, there are a lot of scenarios to work through to figure out how to handle conflict management.
    02-21-12 05:55 PM
    Exactly. Still, there's no reason why the PlayBook's Calendar and Contacts app can't pull the data from the phone to be displayed on the PlayBook.
    02-21-12 05:58 PM
    Iphone and playbook right the perfect match. Say what you want but I love the combo. Iphone makes up for the lack of apps, pb for everything else.
    02-21-12 05:59 PM
    To all of the stand alone outlook users, the problem is just that: outlook. Without an exchange server it is simply an email client, everything else is detached from the world. Stand alone outlook sucks! Browse an apple forum and you will find the same complaints for the ipad and iphone. I know this as my wife uses outlook and on her laptop I am running two small programs, one for contacts and one for calendar, to sync to her ipad2. Move to a full solution that supports wireless syncing such as hotmail, or gmail. It is the servers in the back-end that makes the magic work, something your stand alone client built on 1970's pop infrastructure can not do.

Just Google for this issue on Apple I devices:

http://www.google.ca/webhp#hl=en&gs_...c+ipad+outlook
    Last edited by pinkert11; 02-21-12 at 06:12 PM.
    hpjrt, Foppa_21, rjedge54 and 2 others like this.
    02-21-12 06:06 PM
    Exactly. Still, there's no reason why the PlayBook's Calendar and Contacts app can't pull the data from the phone to be displayed on the PlayBook.
    Let's be clear they can but only in the bridged apps not in native.
    @pinkert: we do not ask anything between PB and outlook; we'd like the PlayBook to display (yes only display not store) what is on the phone. Just like bridge today,with a better UI
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    02-21-12 06:48 PM
    Nothing wrong with POP email. All I use Outlook for is a POP client, as well as calendar and contacts.

The vast majority of us aren't running an Exchange server at home with our own domain names.

Besides, that's not what we want. All we want is our native Calendar and Contacts apps to display content from the phone. Instead of Bridge sharing those apps off the phone, why not simply share the data contained within so it can be used by the native PB apps?
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    02-21-12 06:58 PM
    It's pretty and new.
    And has more features.
    and can receive email without having to be bridged.
    And we just want to.
    02-21-12 07:08 PM
    It's pretty and new.
    And has more features.
    and can receive email without having to be bridged.
    And we just want to.
    Only over wifi. But yes. Seems to be a cluster right now with the bridge and native for a lot of people.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    02-21-12 07:12 PM
    I don't sync via Desktop Manager, but I am familiar with the "conflicts" screen as my wife sync's Outlook to her BB this way. I think this is the root of why RIM isn't introducing a third BB-to-PB sync into the picture. Imagine the conflicts if you made changes on Outlook, on your BB and then on your unbridged PB. If the PB and BB only sync when bridged, there are a lot of scenarios to work through to figure out how to handle conflict management.
    Very good point.

Ideally, I/we'd (I'm speaking for people I don't know and haven't talked to, so pardon me if this does not represent your wishes ) like is to be able to use the native apps (contacts, calendar, tasks, memo, email).

If we could sync PB to PC and have the BB and PB speak to each other, that would be awesome. No, I do not need info stored on both devices. But it's painful to see that folks who don't own a BB get a prettier, more useful app than we do.

Ideally, we'd love to be able to use it just the way we do now (and of course with the option to use the stand alone native apps), but use the native app gui's over the bridged version.
    02-21-12 07:16 PM
    Only over wifi. But yes. Seems to be a cluster right now with the bridge and native for a lot of people.
    Sorry, are you saying if you don't have WiFi available, the bridged internet connection won't allow the native email client connect to the email server?
    02-21-12 07:23 PM
    Nothing is obvious with a thread titled like this.

Total waste of time.
    02-21-12 07:33 PM
    Sorry, are you saying if you don't have WiFi available, the bridged internet connection won't allow the native email client connect to the email server?
    No I was saying when not bridged if you don't have wifi then you have no internet connection to get email from.
    02-21-12 07:36 PM
    Well with no bridge or WiFi, you have no internet connection for anything
    02-21-12 07:41 PM
    LOL too true
    02-21-12 07:47 PM
    If you cant figure out how to use the playbook maybe you should just stick to pen and paper.
    Or the iPad and the cloud .
    02-21-12 07:49 PM
    i love the device it fulfills my needs just fine..

Frustrated though .. so very frustrated ..

*and an edit on the profanity above
    Frustrating is trying to weed thru these bs posts because you can't be bothered to use the search feature.
    02-21-12 07:54 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD