I don't see bashing - I just see people stating their preferences based on true facts and features, just as are you - To each their own.
    01-06-12 03:24 AM
    Try this on the Android browser .... scroll all the way down to the bottom of a crackberry page, or long page of your choice, then press the back arrow to go back. Where is it?

Oh wow I have to scroll allllll the way back to the top before the back arrow reappears. I really tried to have an open mind until I saw that - no way am I scrolling back up everytime I want to go back to the previous page - Surely there is another browser available though. There just has to be.

and it would be REAALLY hard to give up bezel swiping....its just such a boring UI experience without it. I'm still not tired of swipe-switching apps on playbook after 6 months..it just never gets old.

One swipe? or home, select. I know which I prefer.

thats absolutely not true,if you want to go back,you dont have to scroll all the way up,you can just push the back button on the honeycomb bar,the bar is always there.
    But its this bar i really dislike on honeycomb,its always there even when playijg a fullscreen video,such a waste of space for only 3 buttons,thats such a poor ui solution.,I cant understand why nobody has a problem with that.Especially on a 7" you dojt have lots space to see,it takes up so much for only 3 poor buttons,i think it was a mistake getting rid of the hardware buttons.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-06-12 03:54 AM
    So all the apps I have opened should be running all the time? Doesn't that use up resources (memory) and drain batteries? Or are they not truly multitasking?
    I'm curious as well....why not close apps, and why let only the OS do it?
    01-06-12 04:30 AM
    I had Xoom, begged my daughter to take it and kept the PB for me. I am not a tech person but felt more comfortable with PB.
    01-06-12 04:56 AM
    So all the apps I have opened should be running all the time? Doesn't that use up resources (memory) and drain batteries? Or are they not truly multitasking?
    No, AFAIK "open" but unused apps in Android are "cached" and do not put any significant drain on the resources. They get closed by the OS when needed.

Besides, battery life on many Android tablets far exceed the Playbook's. Even with smaller capacity batteries, you generally get more time (compare the Playbook's monster 5,400mah batteries to some other Android tablet's 4,000mahish batteries, e.g. the Tab 7 plus).
    Last edited by kennyliu; 01-06-12 at 05:03 AM.
    01-06-12 05:00 AM
    Yes, what I think howarmat meant is closing the services. He just didn't say it right. Closing apps is normal. But it isn't a good idea to start closing down services. It can lead to instabilities and stuff, and in some cases, a reboot of the OS might be needed.
    Last edited by Megacharge; 01-06-12 at 06:40 AM.
    01-06-12 05:51 AM
    I have to agree with the OP. I find the playbook OS/UI the best of them all. I'm sure if I used the others for some days I would get use to it. The funny thing about the playbook is that I didn't have to get use to it. After a couple minutes I knew it.
    01-06-12 06:31 AM
    I have to agree with the OP. I find the playbook OS/UI the best of them all. I'm sure if I used the others for some days I would get use to it. The funny thing about the playbook is that I didn't have to get use to it. After a couple minutes I knew it.
    Exactly, the most intuitive tablet I've ever laid hands on; almost as if it was custom made for me.
    01-06-12 06:34 AM
    For the record, Howarmat is right. You should not be closing down apps on Android. The system takes care of resources.

Coming from a BB, that was hard for me to grasp initially.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    01-06-12 06:43 AM
    I really hate Android OS.
    I mean, come on, I have the choice between a tab that NO ONE is giving the thumbs up (at Sprint, Best Buy, or anywhere else) versus all of the Android tabs that can run Netflix, SlingPlayer, Skype and Google Navigation?!? But I choose QNX??? Is there something wrong with me? Am I holding out that much hope for RIM to market the PB properly and gain some dev support?

Anyhow I really like the snappiness in QNX with all its gestures and multitasking, it's very well thought out. I really hate Android OS too. I might be in the minority but I think it's too tinker-friendly and thus counterproductive. From experience there's waay too much you can do with Android, from app searching to widget testing and trying out different launchers. Been there, done that and not looking forward to it again.

Actually I have to admit though I'm starting to get bored with the PB. I miss my Slingbox and Google Nav
    01-06-12 07:33 AM
    I played around with a Toshiba Thrive over the holidays and absolutely hated it. I couldnt stand Honeycomb and missed my gestures and "flicking" an app closed. I really prefer QNX and my "lack" of apps there to Android!
    01-06-12 08:59 AM
    I played around with a Toshiba Thrive over the holidays and absolutely hated it. I couldnt stand Honeycomb and missed my gestures and "flicking" an app closed. I really prefer QNX and my "lack" of apps there to Android!
    Me too. Before I purchased the PB, I spent about an hour with the Thrive and just could not get that "gut" feeling that I found my tablet.
    01-06-12 10:25 AM
    App flicking is addicting - the first one's free!!
    01-06-12 11:31 AM
    I really hate Android OS.
    I mean, come on, I have the choice between a tab that NO ONE is giving the thumbs up (at Sprint, Best Buy, or anywhere else) versus all of the Android tabs that can run Netflix, SlingPlayer, Skype and Google Navigation?!? But I choose QNX??? Is there something wrong with me? Am I holding out that much hope for RIM to market the PB properly and gain some dev support?

Anyhow I really like the snappiness in QNX with all its gestures and multitasking, it's very well thought out. I really hate Android OS too. I might be in the minority but I think it's too tinker-friendly and thus counterproductive. From experience there's waay too much you can do with Android, from app searching to widget testing and trying out different launchers. Been there, done that and not looking forward to it again.

Actually I have to admit though I'm starting to get bored with the PB. I miss my Slingbox and Google Nav
    Plenty of thumbs up in here !

I can't tell if you're for or agin. Neutral I guess.
    01-06-12 11:34 AM
    That's very true- actually all you need for a tutorial is one of the TV commercials.
    I knew it before I walked out of best buy with it. and I wasn't walking out without it!.

The only reason I knew how to use and android was that I had heard about the home button in here before I picked one up. Otherwise would have been clueless, even if I had pressed it.
    01-06-12 11:36 AM
    As great as the Playbook is, I'm tired of it lacking basic features, and If we don't see OS2 by February I've decided to go back to iOS..
    01-06-12 11:57 AM
    have no fear, yamcha, OS2 will be here in February and we will finally have the tablet we thought the PlayBook could be all along. I for one am looking forward to using the Android apps.
    01-06-12 12:18 PM
    As I've stated, i have lenovo thinkpad tablet as well as 2 going on 3 playbooks. There are certain things that I use the thinkpad tablet for and things I use the pb for.

The thinkpad tablet has a dock wiht a keyboard attached which essentially makes it a small laptop. It even has little mouse pointer. The pen is also handy. It's a nice tablet but at 10" or whatever size it is, it's bigger than I like. I do have a laptop after all.
    01-06-12 12:27 PM
    thats absolutely not true,if you want to go back,you dont have to scroll all the way up,you can just push the back button on the honeycomb bar,the bar is always there.
    But its this bar i really dislike on honeycomb,its always there even when playijg a fullscreen video,such a waste of space for only 3 buttons,thats such a poor ui solution.,I cant understand why nobody has a problem with that.Especially on a 7" you dojt have lots space to see,it takes up so much for only 3 poor buttons,i think it was a mistake getting rid of the hardware buttons.
    There's a little program called HoneyBar available in Market that lets the running application use the bottom bar screen space until you press on the bottom center of the screen. Works well. Google really should incorporate the feature into the stock Android; it is silly to waste screen real estate.

I also would prefer a hardware "home" button, a la the iPad. But, buttons cost money and also provide an additional point of hardware failure.
    01-06-12 01:52 PM
    I don't see bashing - I just see people stating their preferences based on true facts and features, just as are you - To each their own.
    Exactly. I am the last person who wants to do an "other person's tablet" bashathon. I certainly see what other people see in the Androids or iPads - size, apps, cach�. But, I really never knew how truly incredible our PlayBooks were until I used other operating systems. But that's me. Other people might feel differently, and I respect that.
    Last edited by barskin; 01-07-12 at 01:53 PM.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-06-12 11:04 PM
    Exactly, the most intuitive tablet I've ever laid hands on; almost as if it was custom made for me.
    I second that! It's like an extension of your finger. And how long did it take to get used to the basics...60, 90 seconds...if that?
    01-06-12 11:06 PM
    The PB is so natural after a little use. I laughed earlier when we were testing something on an iPad and I swiped the screen to wake it up. After wondering why it didn't respond, I saw the Home button staring at me...
    I know what you mean. I bought a Coby Kyros 7" tablet last year to wet my feet with a tablet. It's not the best android tablet by any means but I got the feel for using it enough that I wanted something better. It was a cross between the Acer A100 or the PB; both being a 7" tablet. With the research I did, I was heading towards the PB. I picked it up during the black friday sale and happy with my choice.

It certainly doesn't take long to get used to the OS, I just love it. I gave my sister my old Coby tablet as she does a lot of e-reading and the other evening I found myself helping her set things up and couldn't figure out how to get here or there, I was always looking to swipe the bezzel.

I'm just so much more productive using QNX. With Coby, Android and the home button I felt I was going ahead, backing up, going ahead, backing up. I was stuck in the mud.
    Whereas with QNX it's tap, tap, swipe, tap and I'm all done the tasks for the day.

Hopefully RIM have been listening to the users of the PB and have implemented the tools and things we need in the upcoming OS2.0 that will make us all truly speachless in a good way.
    01-07-12 12:08 AM
    I gave my wife a Playbook for Christmas after first using it for several days and installing the 2.0 beta. Haven't touched it since Dec.25.

Bought a Transformer Prime for myself after Christmas and have enjoyed several days of use.

Today I had my hands on the Playbook for the first time since the holiday, just to help my wife with some setup. The upshot of that reacquaintance with the Playbook was that I immediately went online and bought another 64GB Playbook for myself. As good as the Prime is, the Playbook form factor and interface look/feel has its own unique excellence.
    Last edited by boblinds; 01-07-12 at 12:26 AM.
    01-07-12 12:16 AM
    For the record, Howarmat is right. You should not be closing down apps on Android. The system takes care of resources.

Coming from a BB, that was hard for me to grasp initially.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Android is like Windows... it runs on many differently configured devices / machines, so I presume each case to be different.

The android tab I had would eventually run out of memory if I constantly ran multiple apps all day. I found this out when I finally launched a car racing app at the end of the day and the screen barely moved then a notice came up.. Out of memory. I can't remember if I was able to launch the task manager and kill all running tasks or if I did a hard reboot of the tab. Either way.. not having a means to terminate an app without killing it in a task manager is archaic. This was just my experience.
    01-07-12 12:33 AM
    I used a Galaxy Tab and while I like to flirt with Androids I was really lost using the tablet, and did not know how to close the windows hahah so I left it with all those things open... I like the overall feel of it, but the gestures of my PlayBook, OS fluidity and responsiveness, smoothness and all those "-ness"eses including Greatness make me LOVE, NEED & DREAM with my BlackBerry PlayBook.
    01-07-12 10:06 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD