In three years time Flash will be as relevant as the RealPlayer and Shockwave browser plugins are now.
    They were telling us that 3 years ago...

but if no major mobile device support for flash, whether there will be flash content for mobile device? If I were the company, I probably will abandon flash too. no android,no apple user can access, why bother
    Flash content is Flash content. People aren't putting up mobile flash content, you just need Flash on your mobile...
    08-16-12 03:47 PM
    Syncable tabs is good but open on tab pb feature is better..

Got infractions.. Sorry everyone
    Explain what open tabs does, if you don't mind. I'm unfamiliar with the term.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    08-16-12 04:11 PM
    To be honest, flash wasn't my biggest beef, it was integration. Just as one example, on some browsers if I go to some sites that always rendered the mobile version on stock, some of the more popular browsers would default to the full desktop version of the website instead. Settings and functions on some apps will only interact with stock browser as well. This has been the main reason I always end up going back to stock, and I don't want two browsers for different things, so I end up sacrificing some of the frills you get with 3rd party browsers for functionality and integration. As you said, chrome could be shaping up to fix that, so I'll try it out once ICS/JB comes to my phone
    Makes sense... I do not disagree.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    08-16-12 04:11 PM
    I think its a good thing adobe finally kills flash. When I first got my nexus 7 a lot of websites required flash. After 3 weeks, I notice a lot are coding for HTML5 now cause imbedded videos are showing up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    08-16-12 04:20 PM
    I guess no one has any clue about Flash but just because 'someone' said we don't need Flash.. we don't need it now..

All Apple and Android users can go on trying to get rid of Flash because your OS cannot handle it.. This is a matter of pure strength over sense.

You all have just been tricked. I'm sorry to say that..
    ralfyguy likes this.
    08-16-12 11:42 PM
    I guess no one has any clue about Flash but just because 'someone' said we don't need Flash.. we don't need it now..

All Apple and Android users can go on trying to get rid of Flash because your OS cannot handle it.. This is a matter of pure strength over sense.

You all have just been tricked. I'm sorry to say that..
    Do I need to repost the screenshot showing flash installed on my android device? For an OS that "can't handle it" it works pretty much the same as it ever worked on BB.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    08-17-12 12:51 AM
    Explain what open tabs does, if you don't mind. I'm unfamiliar with the term.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    'Open-On PlayBook' is a feature integrated into the BB Smartphone OS menu which basically let's you seamlessly shift your usage from BB smartphone on to the PlayBook.

So if you receive a web-link via some some communication, you can hit menu on the link and it gives you the option to 'Open' the website on the PlayBook. When this option is selected, the PlayBook will automatically run the browser and default to a new tab, and load the web page utilizing the Internet connection from the BB smartphone. The BB smartphone simultaneously runs the Bridge remote function which let's you use the BB smartphone as a remote (with mouse, keyboard & menu functions) to operate the PlayBook from thereon. PlayBook can remain docked, sometimes even to HDMI out and you can continue your experience on a larger screen with additional functions available of a full-fledged browser, like Flash, video streaming, conferencing, gameplay, etc.

Same can be executed for several other options, such as pictures, messages, and in the future with music, videos and many other integrated applications.

In any way it is not a 'sync' like feature which is what Android is offering currently. The connection between Android and desktop is via Internet, so if you are missing a routed connection or Internet, the feature is void. However, the PlayBook and BB smartphone communicate via secured Bluetooth connection which is always available on both devices.
    08-17-12 12:59 AM
    Do I need to repost the screenshot showing flash installed on my android device? For an OS that "can't handle it" it works pretty much the same as it ever worked on BB.

Haha you're trying to say that you Android handles Flash as efficiently as the PlayBook? SURE.

Why don't you and I run Flash on our respective devices the entire day.. and then watch your device burn?
    Last edited by varunsain; 08-17-12 at 01:06 AM.
    08-17-12 01:00 AM
    Why bother? You aren't interested in the other side anyway. Never mind that I work with the BB certified guy who's been hardcore BB for 7 years, got an SGS3 and went from keeping his playbook which he (up until that time) loved and adored to selling it in less than a week because the sgs3 streamed YouTube videos for his break times and commutes better than his playbook.

Now, I realize I wasted my time typing it out because you don't ever seem to read what people say unless it suits your agenda, but it is possible that YOU'RE WRONG.

Last edited by reeneebob; 08-17-12 at 11:14 AM.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    08-17-12 01:58 AM
    Haha you're trying to say that you Android handles Flash as efficiently as the PlayBook? SURE.

Why don't you and I run Flash on our respective devices the entire day.. and then watch your device burn?
    My money would be on the SGS3. Despite having a higher resolution than the playbook meaning the GPU will have more work to do, it's got much more horsepower than the PlayBook.

I really don't get you, varunsain. You've turned a coherent & interesting technology conversation into a tirade of personal insults. I'll be frank with you - I think Flash is a dying technology for the web. It's clear that Adobe itself is abandoning it so they can market it in in the production/animation industries. It's quite clear that you don't think the same, which is cool, but losing your cool and calling people fools and then shouting that the PlayBook is somehow more powerful than the latest flagship phone from Samsung, which is universally acknowledged as the love child of Speedy Gonzales and the Hulk, does nothing for your credibility, nor does posting web links showing that in Xmas 2009 the #1 request from Apple customers was for Flash on mobile.

Things have moved on since then, thankfully. Most websites don't need flash anymore. Those that do need flash provide apps for other platforms which are faster to use because they're native and don't need to render pages of HTML. The PlayBook and BB10 needs these apps too. We shouldn't be content to sit on our asses and pretend that everything's great because we have flash, because it isn't.
    cyrus132, mikeo007 and reeneebob like this.
    08-17-12 03:26 AM
    What do you mean the SG3 streamed videos?

Ofcourse I read what you read.. But you kept writing that you have Flash installed but Flash should shut down so I asked you why?

Have you realized that you never gave any valid reason for Flash to be abandoned? Not like they are supporting it with your money. You are getting it free regardless. So why exactly are you denying yourself of Flash service?

If nothing else, Flash lets you access many websites and web-based games and applications which have not been converted to HTML5.. may not even get converted.. You see HTML5 cannot do many things that Flash can..

Please give me one reason why Flash should be abandoned?

Clearly performance is not an issue anymore since your Android supports Flash as good as the PlayBook..

I really don't read the crap people have to say on the Internet..
    08-17-12 03:29 AM
    I dont see this as a problem for bb going foward. As we all know HTML5 is awesome on the playbook. bb10 should be even better.
    08-17-12 05:28 AM
    My money would be on the SGS3. Despite having a higher resolution than the playbook meaning the GPU will have more work to do, it's got much more horsepower than the PlayBook.
    and LTE I presume, which WiFi playbook bridged or tethered to a BB7 device will not have. I would love to spend the day with an SGSIII, but my Virgin Mobile upgrade eligibility hits in March 2013 (PERFECT timing for the BB10 devices!) and I'm not spending $700 on "curiosity". What's the least expensive outright-buy for an LTE Android right about now?
    08-17-12 09:02 AM
    My head is hurting.
    The hardcore BB fans screamed to the high heavens that Flash was not needed when I dared to say I, a BB fan, wanted it waaaaay back in 2010.
    The hardcore Android fans touted it as the second coming of Jesus and wholeheartedly touted their devices' ability to handle Flash as clear evidence that Android was superior over iOS and BB because of it.

Now.....some Android fans are saying meh....Flash.....no big deal. And certain BB fans are fighting tooth and nail over the preeminance of the PB because it handles Flash.

Did I just fall down a rabbit hole?????

For the record, I've got Flash on my Skyrocket, and it didn't make me wealthier, healthier, more intelligent.....kinda meh....
    kbz1960, reeneebob and cgk like this.
    08-17-12 09:48 AM
    And matter of if I have it, good, if I don't, bad.
    08-17-12 09:55 AM
    What's the least expensive outright-buy for an LTE Android right about now?
    I'd have no idea about that. We don't have LTE here in the UK, and I doubt I'd buy a phone as expensive as the SGS3 which supported it - I'm strictly a budget guy when it comes to phones :-) Having said that my last two phones support HSDPA and that's plenty quick enough for me, I've had a couple of people be amazed when I use my phone as a hotspot and connect the playbook as it's just as quick as a regular broadband connection. Strangely using it as a hotspot with the playbook is noticably quicker than using my phone's built in browser.
    08-17-12 10:05 AM
    It a love - hate thing. Very fickle...really not worth arguing over.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 08-17-12 at 10:09 AM.
    08-17-12 10:07 AM
    My head is hurting.
    The hardcore BB fans screamed to the high heavens that Flash was not needed when I dared to say I, a BB fan, wanted it waaaaay back in 2010.
    The hardcore Android fans touted it as the second coming of Jesus and wholeheartedly touted their devices' ability to handle Flash as clear evidence that Android was superior over iOS and BB because of it.

Now.....some Android fans are saying meh....Flash.....no big deal. And certain BB fans are fighting tooth and nail over the preeminance of the PB because it handles Flash.

Did I just fall down a rabbit hole?????

For the record, I've got Flash on my Skyrocket, and it didn't make me wealthier, healthier, more intelligent.....kinda meh....
    This. Not to mention that, like Java, it's a resource hog. Also, flash has long been a security issue with scripts running in the background on flash based ads etc.

Just like all tech, flash has seen its day and is now being phased out for something more streamlined. The discontinuation of mobile Flash is the first major nail in its coffin. It will never be totally gone but it's on its way to being replaced. Did I enjoy flash when I've used it in the past? Yep. Will I miss those 'you don't have the latest version of Flash' errors when I just updated it? Oh Lord no.

Also I love the ignore button, don't you, Q?

08-17-12 11:22 AM
    This. Not to mention that, like Java, it's a resource hog. Also, flash has long been a security issue with scripts running in the background on flash based ads etc.

Just like all tech, flash has seen its day and is now being phased out for something more streamlined. The discontinuation of mobile Flash is the first major nail in its coffin. It will never be totally gone but it's on its way to being replaced. Did I enjoy flash when I've used it in the past? Yep. Will I miss those 'you don't have the latest version of Flash' errors when I just updated it? Oh Lord no.

You're totally right about phasing out flash. Even adobe themselves realize this is going to happen. Their own tools now allow you to publish to HTML5 instead of flash. I bet if someone went out at looked at a bunch of the new websites that popped up over the past year or two, you'd see next to no flash except for embedded ads.

HTML5 with CSS and JS is just so powerful, yet so lightweight. Add to that things like WebGL (already supported by Playbook and Bb10, coming soon to iOS) and I just get excited about all the future posibilities for web content. The deprecated tech like flash will stick around on older websites ( ASP.net is still around and it's a proprietary disaster) but all the new stuff will be using the newest tech.
    08-17-12 12:37 PM
    You're totally right about phasing out flash. Even adobe themselves realize this is going to happen. Their own tools now allow you to publish to HTML5 instead of flash. I bet if someone went out at looked at a bunch of the new websites that popped up over the past year or two, you'd see next to no flash except for embedded ads.

HTML5 with CSS and JS is just so powerful, yet so lightweight. Add to that things like WebGL (already supported by Playbook and Bb10, coming soon to iOS) and I just get excited about all the future posibilities for web content. The deprecated tech like flash will stick around on older websites ( ASP.net is still around and it's a proprietary disaster) but all the new stuff will be using the newest tech.
    I agree 100%, but we're not there yet.
    08-17-12 03:05 PM

I actually have had people on Ignore....two mods who-shall-not-be-named who are no longer around.....one crooner-wanna-be.....one self appointed BB goddess and one of her acolytes. Everyone else has gone or has been goned...if you catch my drift.

Things are quite wonderful in CB.com.
    reeneebob likes this.
    08-17-12 03:10 PM
    I actually have had people on Ignore....two mods who-shall-not-be-named who are no longer around.....one crooner-wanna-be.....one self appointed BB goddess and one of her acolytes. Everyone else has gone or has been goned...if you catch my drift.

Things are quite wonderful in CB.com.
    Radio check, testing, testing 123..
    08-17-12 03:30 PM
    It's so hurtful when educated people have such opinions in today's time.
    08-17-12 11:41 PM
    My android tablet still has flash. Not sure if you're implying that current owners will lose flash or not, but I think it means post production devices aren't getting flash
    08-18-12 12:32 AM
    My android tablet still has flash. Not sure if you're implying that current owners will lose flash or not, but I think it means post production devices aren't getting flash
    Unless they side load it, period.
    08-20-12 09:14 AM
100 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD