Click to view quoted image

Atari - Battlezone

Fullscreen PB screenshot running vintage Battlezone from the 80's, HDMI out to my theatre, game control through my mini-keyboard. Buddy sent me the link for vintage Atari games playable online... haven't had this much fun since 1981...

Can't do it without Flash.
    actually you can. Ataris greatest hits for android/iOS has this game. with airplay you can play with no wires even
    Tre Lawrence and reeneebob like this.
    08-16-12 01:25 PM
    actually you can. Ataris greatest hits for android/iOS has this game. with aiplay you can play with no wires even
    LOL... I was about to say that...
    08-16-12 01:30 PM
    LOL... I was about to say that...
    Also *looks over at working 2600*...

I said it before and say again... This is a moot point.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    08-16-12 01:54 PM
    But again, you can still download Flash for android from the play store and if one really really reeeeeeeaallyyyyyyy wants flash in a browser, use an alternate browser, which most do anyway. Yes. Even on BB. Opera is still one of the most popular downloads for BBOS.

This is a moot point.

I don't know if I need Flash or not when I'm browsing the web. I goto sites regardless of Flash but I do expect everything given there to work.

I don't understand how you are okay denying a free service by your provider. See, there are lot of websites that use Flash and they have not been updated to HTML5. So these should be accessible.

Is there something wrong with Flash for you to not want it? If you ask the PlayBook guys, they all are very happy with Flash on the device.

And your point about Opera is not valid. BB browser does not get downloaded and it's not accounted for besides practically every os installed phone.. There was a time when Opera and even Bolt browsers were extensively downloaded.. But now the figures definitely favor the native browser. Specially on OS7.1..

I'll tell you one other advantage of the PB browser supporting Flash. I watch only YouTube Flash videos and they all stream in .flv format. You would have to watch this in .mp4 or .ogg or webm or whatever..

Flv file - 50 mb file
    .Mp4 - 98 mb file

I mean.. Easier to decode because it utilizes hardware acceleration or something.. And then many more detailed stuff like this..

First of all.. Unlimited data is so expensive and then adding on to your data usage for no apparent reason?

Why don't you want Flash on your system? Oh wait, no support.. Maybe your security is too weak.. Or for all you know it might just crash!b haha man wake up dude..

Its f-kin free.. You must be a dumass to not want it.
    08-16-12 02:09 PM
    but if no major mobile device support for flash, whether there will be flash content for mobile device? If I were the company, I probably will abandon flash too. no android,no apple user can access, why bother
    Eventually flash won't be supported. Adobe is moving on to HTML5 and Air. Eventually it will disappear, but I can't see it happening any time soon. Over 90% of desktop owners have it installed still. And there are tons of websites out there that still use it, and you can bet they aren't all planning to switch technologies any time soon. Heck, HTML5 is still in development.

Well at least on Android you have alternative browsers. Now on an iPad do you have a way to watch embedded videos as well. Is there an app that enables it. Just asking, because I never had one.
    I don't know first-hand but my iSister complains about websites that she can't use because of flash. I can't remember which though.
    08-16-12 02:11 PM
    You learnt that from Jobs right? haha fool.
    No. I learnt that from eyeballing sales data and Tablet marketshare percentage...as well as reading innumerable blog posts about flash player security and stability issues on desktops.

I also remember flash instigated browser crashes even before Jobs took the stage to announce the first iPhone.

Calling me a fool for expressing my own opinion?
    08-16-12 02:15 PM
    actually you can. Ataris greatest hits for android/iOS has this game. with airplay you can play with no wires even
    Tell me again why you got that Retina display? How does the game look on it?
    08-16-12 02:16 PM
    Tell me again why you got that Retina display? How does the game look on it?
    I dont know since I do not have an iOS device and since the person i quoted was talking about using it on their TV i dont see how the display on the phone/tablet matters.
    08-16-12 02:20 PM
    I guess if mobile flash was a make it or beak it asset, then most people would have...

*sigh*

Never mind...
    reeneebob likes this.
    08-16-12 02:22 PM
    I don't know if I need Flash or not when I'm browsing the web. I goto sites regardless of Flash but I do expect everything given there to work.

I don't understand how you are okay denying a free service by your provider. See, there are lot of websites that use Flash and they have not been updated to HTML5. So these should be accessible.

Is there something wrong with Flash for you to not want it? If you ask the PlayBook guys, they all are very happy with Flash on the device.

And your point about Opera is not valid. BB browser does not get downloaded and it's not accounted for besides practically every os installed phone.. There was a time when Opera and even Bolt browsers were extensively downloaded.. But now the figures definitely favor the native browser. Specially on OS7.1..

I'll tell you one other advantage of the PB browser supporting Flash. I watch only YouTube Flash videos and they all stream in .flv format. You would have to watch this in .mp4 or .ogg or webm or whatever..

Flv file - 50 mb file
    .Mp4 - 98 mb file

I mean.. Easier to decode because it utilizes hardware acceleration or something.. And then many more detailed stuff like this..

First of all.. Unlimited data is so expensive and then adding on to your data usage for no apparent reason?

Why don't you want Flash on your system? Oh wait, no support.. Maybe your security is too weak.. Or for all you know it might just crash!b haha man wake up dude..

Its f-kin free.. You must be a dumass to not want it.
    I HAVE IT. I just don't happen to think it's the end all be all of the world.

Since reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, it seems, here's a picture!

I

I have it on my iphone if I really need it using dolphin browser or chrome. I have enjoyed it on my android device. I have it on my HP Touchpad.

It's not coming pre installed anymore but it's still download able for free if someone really needs it. As far as data use? A 6 gig voice/text/data plan for my phone is the same price as the 6 gig voice/text/data plan was for my 9900, $60. Doesn't matter to me if I save a whopping 30mb. Oh, and I had opera on my 7.1 os 9900 because the stock browser was awful.

Good lord, it's like a brick wall.

Last edited by reeneebob; 08-16-12 at 02:39 PM.
    08-16-12 02:34 PM
    The point about Flash coded websites is still a very valid one in the case of needing to access company websites where the web designer neglected to provide a flash alternative to browsing the site. As was pointed out above, HTML5 has not reached the point of widespread adoption. Many companies are either too busy, or have such a huge website they're unwilling to recode their entire site until they absolutely have no choice.

I think it was WAY too early to drop flash support, and I can only guess that it's a strong arm move to force the implementation of HTML5 faster, rather than let it progress on its own.
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    08-16-12 02:36 PM
    Funny you mention realplayer. I read somewhere today they were releasing a version for Android today. I was shocked they were still in business or that any site would use their codec requiring someone to actually use realplayer........buffering......buffering.......
    Ha. Not only that, there was an update just this month.

Which you can still download for free from the android store, and can still use on android devices and apple devices in alternate browsers. Strangely, I've always ended up uninstalling them as I've never needed to use them.

Flash isn't the end all be all. I wish people would stop harping on it like it is.

Some people care about flash though. You obviously hate flash, but why can you give your opinion and nobody else can give theirs?

This 'advantage' hasn't done wonders for Android tablets. Why would it do anything for the PlayBook?

If anything, the notion that RIM is still soldiering on with Flash support in the playbook - even after mobile flash has been left for dead by Adobe - only re-inforces the opinion in the minds of millions of consumers that RIM is still a company stuck in the dinosaur age.

Slowly but surely, the popular opinion is turning against flash as a buggy, security risk plugin that's fast becoming outdated.
    This just doesn't make sense. Desktops still support flash, is OS X in the dinosaur age?
    Toodeurep likes this.
    08-16-12 02:39 PM
    Ha. Not only that, there was an update just this month.

Some people care about flash though. You obviously hate flash, but why can you give your opinion and nobody else can give theirs?

This just doesn't make sense. Desktops still support flash, is OS X in the dinosaur age?
    If I hated flash I wouldn't have it on my devices, now would I?

I don't happen to think it's some magic bullet that is a must have.

08-16-12 02:42 PM
    No. I learnt that from eyeballing sales data and Tablet marketshare percentage...as well as reading innumerable blog posts about flash player security and stability issues on desktops.

I also remember flash instigated browser crashes even before Jobs took the stage to announce the first iPhone.

Calling me a fool for expressing my own opinion?
    The last I remember was that every new installation of Windows was followed up with internet based update of the Flash player. I've been using Flash on my computers for more than 10 years and it's not even once given me any problems.

Microsoft is the one who has the figures backing them and even till date all computers regardless of make, offer Flash support.

Flash, on Windows system and now on BlackBerry, is the cause of few or none of the operating system problems. BlackBerry security yet remains untouched so it's a current example of Flash not opening any security loop holes.

Adobe AIR or Flash based apps have been developed for BlackBerry, run with good efficienly and they are being worked upon for further development. Though limited than the current usage, but I would like to call it streamlining.

Windows as desktops are currently stable and BlackBerry as smart phones (BB10, had to mention it) are completely stable. So put together, I don't see how anyone can bring in higher numbers than that against Flash.
    08-16-12 02:42 PM
    I've just been checking through the Windows8 RTM bits and Flash works on the Metro version of IE 10! We shall see in a month or so if that carries over to an RT device.
    08-16-12 02:45 PM
    Actually, those are the 2600 console ROMS, the website is running the much better commercial arcade ROMS.

Cheers,
    08-16-12 02:47 PM
    Reeneebob so you goto a website and you see it says you need Flash. So you use your alternate browser to browse the site? I find that foolish. Why are you doing this? If you use your alternate browser permanently.. What happens when it becomes paid like WhatsApp? You will obviously not be able to jailbreak your device with every new series of OS.

Everyone boasts on paid apps but got for free.. Skype will be become paid because it's Microsoft's now.. What you though only 1 could play at that game? Same way Flash is going because it's too late now.

Adobe does not support Flash anymore because they have grown out of it now.

And otherwise.. What happens when RIM decides to stream it's video in Flash.. 500mb monthly data made into 900mb because of html5 doesn't matter?

The argument is true because Flash can become a selling point in the future. Why not? It has all the reasons too.. Maybe the big players might go with HTML5.. But what about the entire flash based web? Try googling it.. You will be shocked at what they can do vs html5..

Its not even worthy talking about.. Just hope that the balls in your court until 2022 because that's when HTML5 will become standard.

Can we talk about how steve jobs has banned all Flash stuff to promote the appple app store..
    ralfyguy and melander like this.
    08-16-12 03:00 PM
    I permanently use Chrome. It's free. It's backed up and I won't have to pay for it if it for some weird reason becomes paid. I bought dolphin browser for 99 cents. Oh no, 99 cents! That was years ago and I have never had to rebuy it.

I don't like the default browser on any phone for the most part so I was using Chrome on my iPhone and never had a problem with a website in the over a year I used it. Likewise with my android phones.

My iPhone is not jail broken so I'm not sure what your point is there. It was for a whole but hasn't been for some time.

Flash having had security vulnerabilities but has been a necessary evil. I look forward to flash no longer being so ubiquitous online.

Last edited by reeneebob; 08-16-12 at 03:09 PM.
    08-16-12 03:06 PM
    I permanently use Chrome. It's free. It's backed up and I won't have to pay for it if it for some weird reason becomes paid. I bought dolphin browser for 99 cents. Oh no, 99 cents! That was years ago and I have never had to rebuy it.

I don't like the default browser on any phone for the most part so I was using Chrome on my iPhone and never had a problem with a website in the over a year I used it. Likewise with my android phones.

My iPhone is not jail broken so I'm not sure what your point is there. It was for a whole but hasn't been for some time.

I mostly do this... I use Chrome, built-in browser is retired. Only site I use the stock browser for is Amazon Video.

LOL... MS won' charge for basic Skype video chat. Too many free cross-platform options. If they do, I'll buy what I need/want. Simple.
    reeneebob likes this.
    08-16-12 03:10 PM
    When they make a non-stock third party browser for Android that integrates as tightly as stock with the phone itself, I'll consider it. So far none of them have impressed me in that regard. And I'm still only using a 2.3 browser. I'll give chrome a shot after I get my ICS update, but I'm still reading rumblings about its performance and quality.
    08-16-12 03:15 PM
    How I wish everyone was like you reeneebob but guess what they are not.. You represent just a minorty of the ihpone user base.. Or even android for that matter..

Wow.. Flash must have really troubled you in school!

Haha okay .99 cents one indian's daily wage.. Funny stuff..

Its actually more like you don't even deserve Flash..
    08-16-12 03:16 PM
    When they make a non-stock third party browser for Android that integrates as tightly as stock with the phone itself, I'll consider it. So far none of them have impressed me in that regard. And I'm still only using a 2.3 browser. I'll give chrome a shot after I get my ICS update, but I'm still reading rumblings about its performance and quality.
    From what I understand, Chrome is built by the same team, and will eventually replace the "stock" browser.

I was initially disappointed by the absence of Flash, but found out I do well without it mostly. It has some great features (like syncable tabs and bookmarks) that make it indispensable for me. It is my default browser for now.
    08-16-12 03:21 PM
    How can you guys even complaint about a browser? I'm talking right now from the native bb browser.. I check all sites.. I watch videos.. (Even though yt sucks) because all good videos get an error cannot be played because they are flash videos.. Msites of soo many.. That's the problem..

You always compare 3rd party stuff to native and then think even we face the same crappy flash slowdowns and bad performance but 'we are just okay with it because we are fans?'

The stuff that's on the platform works perfect.. Its usually the 3rd party that's crap.. Like feed of your contact list.. Go through you phone details and all that.. Rings a bell? No wonder you blame Flash for everything.. You think Apple doesn't see those loop holes? Well I can point them out if they'd like.. But then you will love Flash and that cannot happen..

It's downright cheap tactics.. Flash is bigger than you think.. It was underrated but in proprietary wars.. All the big players are going to win!
    08-16-12 03:24 PM
    Syncable tabs is good but open on tab pb feature is better..

Got infractions.. Sorry everyone
    08-16-12 03:27 PM
    From what I understand, Chrome is built by the same team, and will eventually replace the "stock" browser.

I was initially disappointed by the absence of Flash, but found out I do well without it mostly. It has some great features (like syncable tabs and bookmarks) that make it indispensable for me. It is my default browser for now.
    To be honest, flash wasn't my biggest beef, it was integration. Just as one example, on some browsers if I go to some sites that always rendered the mobile version on stock, some of the more popular browsers would default to the full desktop version of the website instead. Settings and functions on some apps will only interact with stock browser as well. This has been the main reason I always end up going back to stock, and I don't want two browsers for different things, so I end up sacrificing some of the frills you get with 3rd party browsers for functionality and integration. As you said, chrome could be shaping up to fix that, so I'll try it out once ICS/JB comes to my phone
    08-16-12 03:38 PM
100 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD