hi,

i have an odd question and i hope someone here can help.

I want to buy a playbook for a friend but i don't want any of my information to be traceable to the tablet.

so if someone looks at the serial number of the playbook, can you call customer service or go on the blackberry website and trace the serial number to the buyer? i would be buying it on the official blackberry shop website with my info and credit card. i dont want this tablet to be traced to me via the serial number.

in case anyone was wondering, i want to buy it for an unemployed friend but his wife hates me. so i am afraid she will call customer service and find out i bought it for him. my friend would be creating his own blackberry id for the playbook.

i appreciate any help. i'm probably going to contact customer service but i thought i'd ask here as well.

thank you,
    01-31-12 06:23 PM
    Physically walk into a store, don't give your name, and pay cash. You'll get no guarantees any other way.
    ttt555des likes this.
    01-31-12 06:30 PM
    @peter9477, thanks for the advice. unfortunately my local best buy has it for $500

its on sale right now on the official blackberry shop website for $200. so that is why i'm going the official blackberry website route.
    01-31-12 06:48 PM
    Office Depot - IN-STORE - $299 for 64gig.
    ttt555des likes this.
    01-31-12 07:10 PM
    Maybe you could have it shipped to your house, register it for him/her then gift it.
    You should call to be sure but I don't think RIM would give out personal info attached to thier products.
    ttt555des likes this.
    01-31-12 07:10 PM
    The serial number is only linked to an individual when it is registered for warranty purposes. Let your friend register it will be linked to him, not you.
    ttt555des likes this.
    01-31-12 07:13 PM
    thanks everyone for your input.

hmmm office depot isnt too far. $200 in store for 16gig nice i'll look into that! Thanks !

i was thinking the same thing. that the serial number would be attached to the person who registers it with their blackberry id. i just wanted to make sure. but yeah, just to be double sure, i will call customer service to see what they say.

now, how to to get this guy to divorce his wife.......just kidding

thanks everybody,
    Last edited by ttt555des; 01-31-12 at 07:28 PM.
    91300zx likes this.
    01-31-12 07:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD