I think i have seen this before but i want to see if anyone else knows what im talking about.

I keep my playbook in a case, and don't throw it around at all. I also have never one time tried to open it up. On the left hand side of my unit there seems to be what looks like melted plastic...could the battery be leaking?
    05-15-12 05:25 PM
    It is corrosion. The bezel is metal and either the paint on it got marred in those places or some sort of chemical got on it. Call support and send them the picture and see what they say.
    05-15-12 05:37 PM
    Open the battery panel and check inside the device for any signs of battery leakage. It almost appears to be glue. Did you inspect the smartphone when you bought it and found no such anomalies? I presume the outer cover in the photograph is the protective case not the smartphone itself.
    05-15-12 05:38 PM
    Battery panel????
    05-15-12 05:39 PM
    Battery panel????
    Must be using this tapatalk program to read the forums.
    05-15-12 05:41 PM
    not sure what the other guys are talking about, but i am DEFINITELY NOT opening my playbook...its not glue, its not chemicals...i found the other thread and it seems my battery has exploded inside or something. I only use 2 chargers, either the one that came with it or a USB charger from my blackberry....neither one of them should explode the battery but i will be calling RIM tonight to find out what the deal is.
    05-15-12 05:42 PM
    Battery panel????
    Smart phone????
    05-15-12 09:02 PM
    not sure what the other guys are talking about, but i am DEFINITELY NOT opening my playbook...its not glue, its not chemicals...i found the other thread and it seems my battery has exploded inside or something. I only use 2 chargers, either the one that came with it or a USB charger from my blackberry....neither one of them should explode the battery but i will be calling RIM tonight to find out what the deal is.
    Keep is updated please. There is no excuse for this.
    anon(4267099) likes this.
    05-15-12 09:04 PM
    Ever had an RMA? I sent mine in for one and and received it back with pry marks very similar to those around the edge. I was so upset that they'd even think to send it to me like that and got it replaced.
    Is it brand new?
    05-15-12 09:11 PM
    It looks like leakage to me.

Not good whatever it is.

How is the charge etc?
    05-15-12 10:14 PM
    i called RIM and they are replacing the unit. The damage is from the polymer that they used to cover the battery inside, it must have broken down and its eating away at the bezel. The reason why I even noticed the damage was because my battery is draining pretty quickly...5% in 30 mins, 27% in about 2 hours or so. Also the battery doesn't seem to hold a full charge any longer. I have had no issues with this unit and i bought it on the day it came out. This is my first time calling RIM support for anything related to this device. I will keep you guys posted once they have my unit and can give me the exact reason. The manager i spoke to at RIM said he only saw something like this once before and i can only assume its from the post that i found a while back.
    MTL, Marty_LK, hpjrt and 2 others like this.
    05-16-12 06:01 AM
    i called RIM and they are replacing the unit. The damage is from the polymer that they used to cover the battery inside, it must have broken down and its eating away at the bezel. The reason why I even noticed the damage was because my battery is draining pretty quickly...5% in 30 mins, 27% in about 2 hours or so. Also the battery doesn't seem to hold a full charge any longer. I have had no issues with this unit and i bought it on the day it came out. This is my first time calling RIM support for anything related to this device. I will keep you guys posted once they have my unit and can give me the exact reason. The manager i spoke to at RIM said he only saw something like this once before and i can only assume its from the post that i found a while back.
    Curious - did they mention that you might be beyond the warranty period?

Mine is wrapped awaiting my trip to the Fedex Office. Mine just would lose all power while in Standby over a 2 day period. (whereas my 64gig holds power for more than a week). But when I called they did not initially notice that I had it for a bit more than one year. Then they did but issued the rma anyway.
    05-16-12 09:18 AM
    i asked them about this and they said they would let me know after they look at it...i will fight them tooth and nail since this is a manufacturing defect more than anything else and i feel i should not have to pay them to fix an issue that was from the factory. They were very nice on the phone and i don't think its going to be an issue.
    05-16-12 11:43 AM
    i asked them about this and they said they would let me know after they look at it...i will fight them tooth and nail since this is a manufacturing defect more than anything else and i feel i should not have to pay them to fix an issue that was from the factory. They were very nice on the phone and i don't think its going to be an issue.
    "She" made a similar comment about mine versus the warranty.

I hope you/I don't have to do a Hunger Games with Rim.

edited to add: dropped my at fedex this morning. We shall see...........
    Last edited by F2; 05-16-12 at 02:46 PM.
    05-16-12 11:58 AM
    so getting my original playbook back from RIM with the statement that it is beyond economical repair and that the device was out of warranty due to it being opened (which it never was) so basically they said go F yourself we aren't fixing it and here is a free rapid charger since your battery doesn't last long...with this kind of terrible support its no wonder that everyone is switching over to apple....i am FURIOUS right now and the worst part is i didn't have my playbook for 2 weeks (still don't have it yet)!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIM GET YOUR SH*T TOGETHER YOU ARE LOSING OUT BIG TIME RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!
    06-07-12 08:10 AM
    I understand your angry but it looks like pry marks to me too. If I were a tech repairing Playbooks I would probably come to the same conclusion.
    I have opened my PB a few times and one side has marks similar to your picture. That lighter gray ring is metal and it takes some force to damage it. I'm not saying you opened your PB but that is what it looks like.
    I think it's good of RIM to send you a rapid charger. You may not see it that way right now but they got a report from a tech that your PB has been tampered with yet they still tried to help.
    Did they give any explanation of the damage inside? I'm curious if the battery really is leaking. I think they should tell you if it was.
    06-07-12 09:05 AM
    I know it looks like pry marks but trust me that device has never been opened and been in a case since day 1. I thought the same thing myself and that's why i sent the picture, but they did find out that something inside Polycarbonite or something like that melted and that's what the issue was. Now after telling me that they still went with the i opened the device and its beyond repair...to me that's unacceptable, if you make a device and it has a mfg. defect you should take responsibility to fix that device...another user on this forum had the exact same issue and RIM even said they only seen this once before meaning that they saw and repaired his unit. He said it was such a hassle to get it fixed...this should be resolved in a better manner than just saying oh the device was tampered with so even though its leaking hazardous materials we are still not fixing it. I am a strong blackberry supporter and this is my first time dealing with their RMA process...not leaving a good taste I can tell you that and once i get my tablet back I am going to call RIM and escalate this again maybe even taking legal matters. I want to buy another playbook but if they are going to melt on me then i am surely not buying another unit. I have to hold this device where the melting is taking place, do i want these chemicals on my hands while i use the unit...no i do not...the rapid charger is a nice gift but i rather have my unit fixed...BTW there has been 0 issues with my tablet before this and i didn't even want to send it in due to the fact that i knew it was going to go this route since the other user had a hard time getting his fixed. This is terrible support in my opinion!
    06-07-12 09:47 AM
    There was another recent thread of a playbook in worse condition. That was a battery leak.

Unable to find the link though.
    06-07-12 10:03 AM
    There was another recent thread of a playbook in worse condition. That was a battery leak.

Unable to find the link though.
    This may be the thread your thinking of.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-726286/
    06-07-12 10:36 AM
    This may be the thread your thinking of.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-726286/
    That's the one
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-07-12 10:40 AM
    I'm so sorry. I would definitely try to escalate this with RIM. You would think they would want all the happy customers they could get at this point. Lord knows they have enuff haters.
    06-07-12 11:49 AM
    I spoke to a Tech in Halifax CAN and he mentioned that opening the PB voids the Warranty and this is plainly stated in purchase documentation materials. In addition, the Playbook battery is vunerable to environmental conditions which are harsh to electronics and heat particulary will have a adverse impact on the battery. Worse yet is immersion in water, and yet some Purchasers want an RMA as manufactuerer defect. I have said this many times in multiple threads, buy the insurance and have peace of mind when you have an accident or simply do stupid stuff and protect your precious PB investment......worth the peace of mind....

06-07-12 02:28 PM
    that would be great advice had i opened my playbook, dropped it, or had it gotten wet...but none of those things caused my issue...my playbook is my baby and it gets treated as so, along with my cell phone and laptop...i am a tech and i take extreme care of my devices, i don't like scratches, chips or anything like that...i have had my 9810 since it came out and it has never been dropped one time!
    06-07-12 02:36 PM
    I faced the same problem. I just got the cover that covers my PlayBook from the sides and the stuff on the side did not increase its corrosion. Don't worry nothing from the inside, just due to touching the sides
    06-07-12 02:48 PM
    Get it a permanent cover not a cover which u put in and then take out. This is causing from erosion of sweaty hands and metal, just like a rock in a river
    06-07-12 02:52 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD