Over the weekend, I've done a google search and tried to load two pretty standard websites that just won't fully load or took a good 2-3 minutes to load. I am consistently seeing the checkerboard screen...

Here are two such examples-

1) Blog for AMCs MadMen: Mad Men - Blogs - AMC

2) Nook touch forums- NOOK Boards - Barnes & Noble Book Clubs

I've had my playbook for 2 months now and what I keep reading on this forum is how great the browser is.

What I am finding in every day browsing is not only is it painfully slow, but it's also very inconsistent as far as what loads and what doesn't.

What's the point of using a browser on tablet if it easily takes 3-4x longer to load than on my laptop and then you are not even sure what websites it can load? There are way too many comparisons here to the iPad 2. The bottom line for those that actually own both tablets is that the speed of the iPad 2 browser blows away the playbook browser.

I'm hoping that the new OS will address this inconsistency and help improve the browsers speed. I don't think it's all hardware specs because even the Kindle Fire's browser is much quicker at loading pages than the Playbooks.

Can you please check and see if you can get both sites to fully load?

Thanks
    speedypear likes this.
    02-12-12 08:49 AM
    Over the weekend, I've done a google search and tried to load two pretty standard websites that just won't fully load or took a good 2-3 minutes to load. I am consistently seeing the checkerboard screen...
    Yup that's one of the reasons why I don't use my PB very often anymore, even happens on my phone too.
    02-12-12 09:17 AM
    Try turning off javascript. In the Browser, swipe down, tap the GEAR/options, select Content and turn it off. Try visiting the site. Makes a world of difference visiting Crackberry.

There are 3rd party browsers where you can set the javascript differently for different Tabs.
    02-12-12 10:25 AM
    Also note that browser speed depends on wifi or bridge speed. I did noticed you compared to your other device (on the same wifi ?), but the (speed) problem you have may not be browser dependant but wifi settings.
    Anyway, both (wifi+browser) will get important upgrades in 2.0. (already measurable in beta 2.0.7111), so just be patient for a few days now !
    02-12-12 10:29 AM
    i have the same issue, the browser is painfully slow, its slower then dial up
    02-12-12 12:47 PM
    Well that sucks. My PB browser is zippy and fast. Looking forward to 2.0
    02-12-12 12:53 PM

Here are two such examples-

1) Blog for AMCs MadMen: Mad Men - Blogs - AMC

2) Nook touch forums- NOOK Boards - Barnes & Noble Book Clubs

I've had my playbook for 2 months now and what I keep reading on this forum is how great the browser is.

What I am finding in every day browsing is not only is it painfully slow, but it's also very inconsistent as far as what loads and what doesn't.

What's the point of using a browser on tablet if it easily takes 3-4x longer to load than on my laptop and then you are not even sure what websites it can load? There are way too many comparisons here to the iPad 2. The bottom line for those that actually own both tablets is that the speed of the iPad 2 browser blows away the playbook browser.

I'm hoping that the new OS will address this inconsistency and help improve the browsers speed. I don't think it's all hardware specs because even the Kindle Fire's browser is much quicker at loading pages than the Playbooks.

Can you please check and see if you can get both sites to fully load?

Thanks
    Both sites fully loaded for me. With the PB browser the Mad Men site fully loaded in about 25 seconds while the B&N site fully loaded in 15. Using SimpleBrowser+ Mad Men fully loaded in 10 seconds and the B&N site in 5 seconds.

I have javascript and flash enabled.
    02-12-12 01:02 PM
    @borka105,

Just curious, have you run any tests of your wifi speeds to see if there may be a bottleneck there. Try the included Speedtest app and then try speedtest.net and post your results I have attached screenshots of mine. It will be interesting to compare as it seems odd that I would have as much of a different result with these 2 sites than you.
    02-12-12 01:17 PM
    Both sites loaded for me with javascript and flash enabled on the stock browser, so it could be your connection speed. I did notice that the Mad Men blog looked flash-intensive, but loading it on Simple Browser did show a slightly better speed overall.
    02-12-12 01:45 PM
    Using the native browser with everything enabled, these sites fully loaded fine.
    Mad Men about 45 seconds
    B&N took 15 seconds

I think are are plenty of variables to consider and rule out before simply blaming the playbook browser.

On a side note: My router is an old (at least 9 years) Linksys wrt54g and it has never let me down. We usually have at least 4 wi-fi devices running off of it at any given time. Kids play Xbox live and stream youtube vids all the time while I surf. Never a problem.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 02-12-12 at 02:21 PM.
    02-12-12 02:19 PM
    Using the native browser with everything enabled, these sites fully loaded fine.
    Mad Men about 45 seconds
    B&N took 15 seconds

I think are are plenty of variables to consider and rule out before simply blaming the playbook browser.

On a side note: My router is an old (at least 9 years) Linksys wrt54g and it has never let me down. We usually have at least 4 wi-fi devices running off of it at any given time. Kids play Xbox live and stream youtube vids all the time while I surf. Never a problem.
    And yes you are full of crap I have the same problem of slow loading web pages I have a linksys E-4200 newest version so that is not the problem I have two devices a laptop and the playbook but I am running the playbook on n and the laptop on g have done extensive test its the playbook browser.
    02-12-12 02:36 PM
    Both sites load fine for me... First one gives me this pop up I've not seen before.
    02-12-12 02:49 PM
    Well, he is right. That Mad Men blog site is a design disaster, especially that annoying bottom bar with advertisement and quick links.

The op can try to use SimpleBrowser and set the agent to ipad to downgrade or improve the experience (depending on how you see it).
    02-12-12 02:57 PM
    Both sites load fine for me... First one gives me this pop up I've not seen before.
    That's part of the PB browser in the 7111 beta. Maybe OS2.0 will support webgl elements in the browser.
    02-12-12 02:58 PM
    And yes you are full of crap I have the same problem of slow loading web pages I have a linksys E-4200 newest version so that is not the problem I have two devices a laptop and the playbook but I am running the playbook on n and the laptop on g have done extensive test its the playbook browser.
    I am not full of crap but you are rude. I really don't care what testing you have done. I am just reporting the times it took, to fully open the links in the OP, on my PB.
    I am also not suggesting that 45 seconds is in any way good, just that it opens fine if I give it time.
    Try setting your PB to wifi to G.

Have a nice day.
    rjedge54 likes this.
    02-12-12 03:33 PM
    i have the same issue, the browser is painfully slow, its slower then dial up

thats just your internet connection lol.....browser work fast for me
    02-12-12 03:38 PM
    Both sites fully loaded for me. With the PB browser the Mad Men site fully loaded in about 25 seconds while the B&N site fully loaded in 15. Using SimpleBrowser+ Mad Men fully loaded in 10 seconds and the B&N site in 5 seconds.

I have javascript and flash enabled.
    I'm running 2.0.0.7111 or w/e it is.

10 seconds loading time (even having to allow it use WebGL content).

I used the main PB Browser and I'm on 15Mbps internet.
    02-12-12 03:39 PM
    i appreciate the advice and thoughtful input.

i think my internet speed is fine because i tested the same two websites on both my ipad2 and playbook.

i still cant get the playbook to fully load the mad men website.when i scroll down all i see is checkerboarding.

i just want the playbook browser to be more zippy. if you think about it, even 45 seconds is way too long to load a website nowadays. A tablets browser speed should be comparable to that of a laptop/pc.

i will be eager to see what 2.0 brings in terms of browser speed and loading consistency.
    speedypear likes this.
    02-12-12 04:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD