I'm in th U.K. and have been testing my Playbook for my mail. I have given up with the IMAP because it does not retrieve all the files from my Yahoo account. Weird really because my ancient Outlook on a Windows XP does the job perfectly. Anyhow not to moan.

I have been trying out various web based mail and have found the best are Yahoo and Outlook - the new version that replaced Hotmail.

As for the Yahoo version here is the tip. Switch to Classic Yahoo. With Java and Flash disabled it is lightning fast. Obviously if you wish to send an email in Yahoo you will need to activate Java to insert the senders name.

I like Outlook because the interface is very clean with lots of space and so far, fingers crossed, there are no advertisements.

I won't use G-Mail because I have as much contempt for them as I have for Apple. Any business that steals router information when taking map photographs deserves to be lynched.

I must go, it is getting late and the teddy bears will kick off if they don't get their hot chocolate. What a life!

CairnsRock likes this.
    10-30-12 03:17 PM
    When you say it does not retrieve all your files what do you mean? From memory the default is to sync only the last 7 days worth of messages. This can be increased to 30 days in the advanced settings of the email account on the playbook.
    10-31-12 12:03 AM
    In Messages, if particular imap folders are not set to sync, then they won't sync and Messages won't retrieve any email in them.
    10-31-12 05:10 PM
    In Messages, if particular imap folders are not set to sync, then they won't sync and Messages won't retrieve any email in them.
    Even so, sync will not let you see folder content older than 30 days. Useless, big fail for RIM.
    10-31-12 05:26 PM
    Why are folks suffering with the anemic native email client. I would be kind to say it was a poor implementation.

After months of losing/missing mail and hoping for RIM to stand up and bat, I have come to the realization that it must be intentional, but I digress.

If access to all your mail is important, sideload an alternate. For example, K9 is free and works well - no more guessing.
    Last edited by jackpots; 11-01-12 at 08:44 AM.
    11-01-12 07:01 AM
    Why do you need access to all your mail going back to year dot?

Never understood this on mobile devices. I'll say that again...mobile devices. Most email use is surely with emails received in the past 7 days. I only ever need/want whatever is current.
    11-01-12 07:22 AM
    Why do you need access to all your mail going back to year dot?

Never understood this on mobile devices. I'll say that again...mobile devices. Most email use is surely with emails received in the past 7 days. I only ever need/want whatever is current.
    Exactly unless the only thing you own and use is mobile. I keep some old mail but rarely ever have a need for it unless I forgot something, like a user name for a site or I want to look at an online purchase I made. Otherwise my saved mail is hardly ever looked at or needed and if it was I can still find it mobile using the web interface if I really need something out of old mails.
    adi_vastava likes this.
    11-01-12 07:51 AM
    I think this is the problem RIM faces, and I think a good swath of my fellow cb'ers agree with them. I don't, nor does the the majority of the user base , ie, all users. RIM positions the PB as an extension of the telephone, as opposed to the evolution of the computer. As a business user, I want no restrictions by software to my data, except for storage space. I definitely don't want RIM providing 30days max of email without the option for me to make it indefinite. The paradigm is that users are expected to be idiots without the ability to fathom their own risks. This paradigm is also evident in the user being unable to disable screen timeout when plugged in.

I need to focus on my work, not RIM's, and spent considerable effort and time to get the promised and what is customary and normal. Time wasted. Neither me nor my business efforts has benefited from that endeavor. We need to make lemonade from lemons.

If you come to road with a huge pothole of 75 weeks, you can still stop and wonder why the local gov has not fixed it, you can drive on through saying the road is so smooth and the gov is superb, or you can be thankful other routes exist to you destination and take it.
    11-01-12 09:14 AM
    " I want no restrictions by software to my data, except for storage space."
    That is a key point. You can't have it both ways.

On the Playbook, there is no option to add memory by means of say SD cards. Only way is to connect to a computer. RIM no doubt designed around this limitation in limiting number of days of emails that could be saved. Days seems a poor measure though. A business user may get hundreds of emails per day, while a retiree like me would only get a dozen or so.

Perhaps a warning when allotted email storage space gets near full would be an idea? Then a way to save emails to computer or cloud for archiving.
    11-01-12 09:35 AM
    Hope this helps. I too struggled with imap settings. After trying all of them and speaking with RIM. They suggested that I try the pop settings. I did this and what do ya know my AOL has been fine ever since. I would try some pop settings and see if it works for you. I hope it does! I almost gave up on my PB.

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    11-01-12 10:00 AM
    RIM needs to come up with their own system so we can have seamless email, contacts, and calendar. Web-based. I would pay money for such a system.
    11-01-12 10:03 AM
    Hope this helps. I too struggled with imap settings. After trying all of them and speaking with RIM. They suggested that I try the pop settings. I did this and what do ya know my AOL has been fine ever since. I would try some pop settings and see if it works for you. I hope it does! I almost gave up on my PB.

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    One thing to remember about pop is depending on server and client settings email will be deleted from the server when downloaded to a client so if your client fails and you lose your mail the mail will not be on the server if you haven't checked the settings in both.
    11-01-12 10:06 AM
    Exactly unless the only thing you own and use is mobile. I keep some old mail but rarely ever have a need for it unless I forgot something, like a user name for a site or I want to look at an online purchase I made. Otherwise my saved mail is hardly ever looked at or needed and if it was I can still find it mobile using the web interface if I really need something out of old mails.
    This, Plus I as a user should have the authority to decide this. I hate when they say,

You don't need to worry about background multi tasking.
    You don't need to worry about RAM management, we do it better.
    We don't think you will access mails older than a month

Why should I handle my device the way they want? they should implement it the way I want. I am the customer, right.
    11-01-12 10:26 AM
    This, Plus I as a user should have the authority to decide this. I hate when they say,

You don't need to worry about background multi tasking.
    You don't need to worry about RAM management, we do it better.
    We don't think you will access mails older than a month

Why should I handle my device the way they want? they should implement it the way I want. I am the customer, right.
    True but no one can make everyone happy and why there are third party apps.
    11-01-12 10:36 AM
    True but no one can make everyone happy and why there are third party apps.
    I agree with that. All I am saying is give me options to tweak things my way.
    11-01-12 11:35 AM
    @kbz1960
    Sorry, but that is quite silly.

Why create a product that is less functional than those from 10 years prior. Especially, when it is deliberately crippled, and for no good or apparent reason. It could make some sense if RIM provided a more feature rich version at some added cost. The addage is: make a better mousetrap, not race to the bottom. RIM should do as most devs do: allow a wide range of options and set defaults to satisfy the mean user � maybe 1sd.

I find that some of the comments here are conflating "how they use the PB" with "the quality of the email client and its user configurable options and restrictions."
    11-01-12 06:27 PM
    I don't know about PB as I am still VERY new to it but on my BB, I have the option of how long emails are stored.... the option are in increments all the way to "forever". I would have to assume that if you have a PB, odds are you have a mobile phone too that receives emails, and if you have a BB, then you have bridge, which allows you to now see emails going back as far as you like.
    11-01-12 06:39 PM
    As mentioned by KBZ1960,you can still use a browser to go to your email web site and get a different version of your inbox which may let you do those things you want to do. You can save to bookmark or as an on tablet icon to your PB to make access easy. Maybe BB10 will have a better email app but the PB is still better than my Nexus 7. Google will no doubt improve as will BB. Nevertheless the current tablet is still a small machine compared to a current lap top and cant be expected to run all the big apps.
    11-01-12 11:30 PM