I want to start by saying that I just purchased my playbook today. I am not new to tablets: I own/have owned an iPad, iPad 2, TouchPad, Nook Tablet.

What I am noticing with the Playbook is how slow and cumbersome it is to scroll through a web page in a browser.

One website that I go to is slickdeals. If you load the web site in the browser and go to the forums, scrolling through the forums is very slow.

It's to the point that my fingers hurt from having to press so hard to get the page to scroll. Additionally, the speed of the scrolling is also very slow.

I also noticed that when I press to zoom, I need to wait a good 3-4 seconds for the browser to react and zoom in.

I will say that this isn't for all website.. some scroll at a pace that I would consider standard, while others are very slow (TMZ is another example).

The point is that I don't notice this type of discrepancy on my iPad 2 or Nook Tablet. The scroll speed is consistent regardless of what website I visit.

Any thoughts on this issue?

Thanks,
    12-30-11 11:22 PM
    start the scrolling then move your siding finger to the bezel.

Regards

Mike
    12-30-11 11:31 PM
    I would actually prefer for someone to try the websites I am mentioning. Is there an option that controls scrolling speeds on the playbook?

I think one needs to experience the issue to notice the difference in scrolling speeds between websites
    12-30-11 11:53 PM
    If you turn off javascript you will notice a huge difference... I keep it turned off unless i am trying to access a page that needs it.
    12-30-11 11:54 PM
    Tried slickdeals and crackberry at the same time. Everything is nice and smooth.
    12-31-11 12:03 AM
    Tried both myself, they both worked well for me in regards to scrolling and zooming. I'm using latest beta though, so can not provide feedback on stock OS. Have you rebooted recently?
    12-31-11 12:10 AM
    I just tried TMZ and it scrolled just fine using the bevel scroll. Did you read through the Tips and Tricks stickie at the top of this page? Invaluable information there. There is also a Help section on your PB's home page with lots of video "how to" info.

Perhaps it will just require a slight learning curve since you are coming from experience with other formats/setups. It's a little like going from WordPerfect to MSWord. Both programs do the same things but the way each does it is different, and until you learn about those different approaches, you feel a bit frustrated.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-31-11 12:17 AM
    I have read through the tips & tricks and just went back noticed the "Bezel scrolling"

i.e, "Bezel Scrolling

One of my favorite UI features. Very handy for scrolling busy web pages and also works in many apps as well. Start with your finger on the edge of the screen and slide your finger just off off it. Maintaining contact activates the first 3-4mm of the edge of the bezel next to the screen either in landscape or portrait orientation. Once contact with the bezel is broken, the scrolling is deactivated. Scrolling will not be enabled if there is more than one point of contact on the active part of the bezel so if you are holding the screen with your left hand and your thumb is on the active area trying to get the bezel active on the right side with a free digit won't work. The bezel, however is nicely wide enough to allow firm purchase of the device without interfering with the active portion of the bezel."

Agreed that this makes scrolling easier and makes the browser scroll very fast. With that said, it still involves putting quite a bit of pressure on the screen and if your not trying to scroll quickly, but just navigating from post to post, then it's even quite painful to scroll slowly.

I need to see if I can get used to because I don't think the joke about developing a "thumb blister" is all that far fetched based on my usage today.

Thank you for the tip. This is definitely helpful. I hope that maybe blackberry can increase the smoothness and pressure finger pressure necessary for scrolling.

It reminds of the patch for the Touchpad (I think it's called buttahsmoothness) that corrects the problem. Something similar would be very helpful when navigating the forums in a website on the playbook.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone!
    12-31-11 12:41 AM
    I have found scrolling in the web browser (1.0.8.6067) works quite smoothly most of the time with the notable exception of websites which produce a temporary checker board pattern at the bottom of the screen as the web page loads. Zooming in and out is brain-dead easy and is instantaneous 99.9% of the time. The web browser is one of the best qualities of this tablet in my opinion.
    12-31-11 12:48 AM
    Sure. Don't want to prolong this because I think I received the info. that I needed, but I am simply comparing the scrolling and zooming on the black berry compared to the ipad, Nook Tablet and TouchPad.

I think the checker boarding is also a much more prevalent issue with this tablet compared to the others that I have used.

From my experience the sensitivity of scrolling is software related and can be easily tweaked as seen by the patches on the TouchPad.

I will say though that I really enjoy the screen on the Playbook.

*On a side note, I just noticed that videos on espn.com don't work on the playbook. Not the tablet version of ESPN, but the full desktop version. It says, "this video is not compatible with your browser". I have javascript, flash, etc. all enabled.

Try the Miami Heat vs. Timberwolves video to see what I mean.

Anyone else run into this issue?
    12-31-11 01:11 AM
    A double-tap in many cases will zoom in/out.

I find I can kind of FLICK and the page will scroll more than one page of info and kind of keep sliding.
    12-31-11 01:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD