hey guys and gals,
    been following the various threads about wifi issues with playbook. so this is what i have noticed about my tablet: doesn't maintain connection at a coffee shop. too many users. at home drops connection when someone else is using their laptop for streaming or when there are a couple of users accessing the internet through their devices.
    i have had the playbook now for almost two weeks, i love everything about it thus far, except this one pesky issue. ninety percent of my usage on the pb is the browser/internet. so it is a big deal for me not having a good signal to connect with. cause if i can't connect to a signal when i am out and about, then....??
    for example: i am watching something on youtube and its streaming fine but then suddenly the signal drops cause someone else is also going online and i lose the stream completely. so in order to get back i need to refresh the browser and forward to where it was at when the signal was lost. its such a pain. i have done all the tests and all the resets etc, etc. and this is the conclusion i have reached. Its just got a weak signal compared to a laptop/desktop device. will an OS update really solve this? i don't think so. seriously thinking about returning it for this reason. i want a stable wifi connection, thats what i want. its not too much to ask for i don't think.....
    any helpful, encouraging responses would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
    10-13-11 04:11 PM
    Check your router settings at home and see that you don't have a limit on how many users can connect at a time... If you do, increase it, I'd guess. Also, not sure where the wifi antennae is located on the PB, but maybe how you are holding it is affecting your reception? hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in here...

HTH,
    Brian
    10-13-11 04:26 PM
    thanks for your input but its definitely not a router issue. like for example when i am at the local coffee shop, i can pick up a signal but i can't connect to it. but when i am at another coffee shop i can connect just fine.
    and i am also aware of the 'top left corner' issue when holding the pb in landscape.
    cheers.
    10-13-11 05:21 PM
    thanks for your input but its definitely not a router issue. like for example when i am at the local coffee shop, i can pick up a signal but i can't connect to it. but when i am at another coffee shop i can connect just fine.
    That describes a router problem quite well actually... I know my router doesn't like my playbook. I have to unplug mine every couple of days and it works fine again, yet other routers I use work 99% of the time.
    kalistair likes this.
    10-13-11 05:30 PM
    i see more of an issue with the bb phones i have noticed in the last 2 bb that i have had that wifi signal is weak. My ipod gets far better wifi signal then my 9900. but cellular reception is far better then iphone.
    10-13-11 05:32 PM
    It could be a bad wifi chip inside. Call RIM for your free support 90 days before it's over!
    10-13-11 05:45 PM
    Never had a problem with wifi even when the signal is indicated as being weak. Speaking of cell reception, my colleagues and l were working in a place where only the PB owners could use their devices. The crapple users had to go outside and stand in the rain.lol!
    10-13-11 06:20 PM
    ok. i guess it 'could' be a router issue. but then what would be another reason for the signal dropping suddenly, then returning after a couple of seconds? like when someone else in the house goes online and streams a short video and i am already watching something on youtube lets say....
    10-13-11 07:45 PM
    I would call RIM and let them test it with you. If it's found to be a bad chip they will issue an RMA.
    10-13-11 08:16 PM
    the wifi signal is indeed weak. get worse in the last few days, i think may be affected by the BIS outage.
    10-13-11 08:51 PM
    the wifi signal is indeed weak. get worse in the last few days, i think may be affected by the BIS outage.
    I give up.
    10-13-11 08:55 PM
    So , everybody has a WiFi problem?

Wow , is hardware or Software? . My BB ( phone) is very smart jumping from one AP to another .
    This garbage ( Playbook) can't even keep one connection

Sad Sad .... not sure if is time to move to another ecosystem , not for the problem , i mean for the no-solutions
    12-23-11 09:35 PM
    Do a speed check. It might be a Band Width issue. If Playbook disconnects when someone on the same network starts watching a Video, you need a faster connection.
    12-23-11 09:58 PM
    My PlayBook was dropping WiFi today as well as I was downloading the latest 2.0 update. Not a router issue, because I also tried using Mobile Hotspot from my 9900, which laid next to it, and it dropped.
    12-23-11 10:33 PM
    I give up.
    Thus why I hesitate to help out "newbies" these days.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-23-11 10:36 PM
    Anyone ever think of calling RIM support if in the first 90 days? Don't know what the numbers are but maybe a bad batch. Never any problem with my wifi no matter what OS I've been on.
    12-23-11 10:37 PM
    ^ Unfortunately your suggestion would be more suited to those that possess some technical knowledge to be able to follow step by step directions to run some tests over the phone.
    Based on the Op's comments, he/she should just do an exchanged from where it was purchased.
    12-23-11 10:45 PM
    I live in the middle of nowhere. Honest! We are in rural S.W. Ontario and couldn't even get high speed until 4+ years ago! Bell still doesn't offer high speed where we are. The point? I have never experienced a wifi "weakness" using either my wireless connection at home or at the office. (Two different ISPs at home and the office.)

At home we have a desktop, two cell phones, a netbook and the Playbook. At the office there are two desktops, a netbook, the same two cell phones and tha Playbook.

If I experienced a wifi problem my first instinct would not be to blame the device. I've been around enough computers to know that most problems with hardware or software is almost always user related.

The Playbook has performed flawlessly in being able to connect to wifi, regardless of the number of people accessing it.
    12-23-11 11:37 PM
    Thus why I hesitate to help out "newbies" these days.
    What newbies? The wifi problem indeed appears to be a common problem. I do experience it, although it's not bad enough to be a big problem for me yet. What is the solution? People keeps on suggesting, or the solution is to disable N band? OK, you can do that with home router, but you're out of luck in everywhere else.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-23-11 11:40 PM
    Sorry for the typos and grammatical errors in the above post. It's late ... and I'm old!
    12-23-11 11:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD