How can they give up with something they never really tried with?
    08-28-11 11:17 PM
    How can they give up with something they never really tried with?
    You should ask HP
    08-28-11 11:32 PM
    Actually it was 500K shipped in 6 weeks, a run rate of 1 million units a quarter. However, RIM didn't disclose the sell-through, which allows a pessimistic view of the 500K number. It doesn't help that the iPad sold more than 700K units per week last quarter, making competing vendors look anemic in comparison.
    Apple had a first mover advantage of over a year, plus the media and fan base from the iPod and iPhone. Nonetheless, someone is going to do well as #2 in the market. Apple comparisons are moot until a clear #2 develops. A year ago I don't think anyone would have said RIM would be more successful than HP in this market. They launched the product and it sold respectably. As people now wonder who has commitment to the market I think RIM will stand out favorably and pick up sales that might have gone to HP otherwise. Getting the Android apps running will be another plus.

If you pan a tablet because it doesn't immediately outsell Apple, then who besides Apple is doing well? This will not be a monopoly market. Number 2 will do very well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-11 11:42 PM
    The PB isn't even a part of RIM's EPS....it is in a state of development with the fall offering some amazing offering's

What the PB currently does 4 months in a v1.0 state . It puts all others to shame

PB 2.0 is gonna be awesome!
    So far those remain distant promises. Currently, it remains what it is - a passable tablet for those who need flash and/or have bb phones.

It browses nicely but it is not the full browser experience. Ask people trying to use google maps on it, or gmail in full mode. Simarily, it identifies as a mobile browser in too many instances, thwarting a full desktop browser experience. Everytime I use the back button, it refreshes the page - two issues there for me - one, I don't want the page refreshed as it now presents different info from what I had been looking at and two, it wastes time reloading the page and checkerboarding.

Again, OS 2 if it comes will probably be nice. But frankly, we don't really have any idea what it will offer. Rim has not spoken/typed/computed one word about it.
    08-29-11 12:08 AM
    I feel they have given up on it.
    There seems to be no rush to deliver on the promises that were made at launch.

I understand that the BES are having a hard time relating to QNX, honestly I don't care. RIM is a multi-billion $ company, make it happen. They have had QNX for quite some time.. you mean there has been no parallel development in server tech at the same time the QNX playbook operating system was being finalized..

the native SDK just came out... in closed beta? its been 4 months, since release.. everyone is ok with that?

next gen products are on the way.. if amazon delivers quad core tablets as anounced, it will spur all tablet makers to upgrade or be viewed as 'old'. Then where will we be.. still sitting and waiting for promised functionality.

I remember when the 'no email, BBM' issue was discussed, I remember the 60 day schedule.. I remember bridge was spoken about as an aside, a neat tide you over option..it appears now 'bridge' is the only way to go... what if people bought into the promises?

As far as I'm concerned RIM has given up... if they want to be redeemed pick a realistic timeframe to deliver and make it happen... October is too late for something promised 2 months ago..

Don't misuderstand me.. I really do like my playbook... I LOVE the browser, but I want what I was promised. They have broken our contract...
    08-30-11 11:38 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD