09-25-12 12:18 PM
67 123
tools
    You obviously don't have kids.. Or you'd understand that no one can be entertain a 3/4yr old non stop.. And everyone needs a break.

And while the process of loading movies isn't hard.. The process of downloading, transferring, and worst of all trying to decide what to bring IS a PITA. Point being is, Netflix makes it that much easier..and you trying to defend the PB and it's lack of having it doesn't change the situation.
    I actually have a 5yr old son. I know how hard it is, but I don't give them things like that so I can have a break. He goes with me places, and I sit and I play with him, I talk with him, I make sure I interact with him. I'm no saint, but I am a damn good parent and I don't buy into this "I need a break, here's a tablet so I can have some time"

My parents didn't do that, their parents didn't do that. They interacted with me without placing me in front of a tablet or tv because they needed free time. So DO NOT give me that BS at all.

And I would rather the quick 5min to download a tv show or 10min at most to download a full movie (illegal or otherwise) than deal with netflix. It is NOT needed. People are so app dependant it is disgusting. No one needs to be connected like people are in todays world. I was a connected person. I still am to a certain degree. But seriously, put down the playbook for a few hours, don't need to play games 24/7 on it, don't need to have multimedia going 24/7.

I have a 5yr old son, a girlfriend, I work out 4x a week for 2hrs each time, and yet I make time for my kid and NOT plant a tv or tablet in front of him.
    09-24-12 09:26 PM
    netflix sucks , its on 3 sony devices and we canceled it. So many other choices just as good if not better. Movie selection sucks on netflix too and they just say.........sorry.
    Hgouck likes this.
    09-24-12 09:27 PM
    I actually have a 5yr old son. I know how hard it is, but I don't give them things like that so I can have a break. He goes with me places, and I sit and I play with him, I talk with him, I make sure I interact with him. I'm no saint, but I am a damn good parent and I don't buy into this "I need a break, here's a tablet so I can have some time"

My parents didn't do that, their parents didn't do that. They interacted with me without placing me in front of a tablet or tv because they needed free time. So DO NOT give me that BS at all.

And I would rather the quick 5min to download a tv show or 10min at most to download a full movie (illegal or otherwise) than deal with netflix. It is NOT needed. People are so app dependant it is disgusting. No one needs to be connected like people are in todays world. I was a connected person. I still am to a certain degree. But seriously, put down the playbook for a few hours, don't need to play games 24/7 on it, don't need to have multimedia going 24/7.

I have a 5yr old son, a girlfriend, I work out 4x a week for 2hrs each time, and yet I make time for my kid and NOT plant a tv or tablet in front of him.
    I'm guessing you have joint custody.. So of course you're gonna want to spend as much time as you can with your kid.. But please save the holier than though bull sh*t for someone else, mmmkay.
    beman39 likes this.
    09-24-12 09:32 PM
    I'm guessing you have joint custody.. So of course you're gonna want to spend as much time as you can with your kid.. But please save the holier than though bull sh*t for someone else, mmmkay.
    No i don't joint have custody... I have full custody. I am a widower. My wife was killed in a car accident 4 years ago if you really must know.... So you might want to shut your mouth and walk in my shoes before you go making assumptions. Cause that makes an a$$ out of you and me and more so you in this case.

I live in the toronto area, my parents live in BC and my wifes parents live in Italy. So ya, my girlfriend and I make things work by being very active parents. No BS throwing the kid into a room with a tv or giving them a tablet because her or I need down time. We have downtime when he goes to bed. Suck it up buttercup, because my kid already reads and writes at a grade 4 level and he just started kindergarten 3 weeks ago. That's what interactive parents do to their children, and they become smarter as they get older.
    KittyBomb likes this.
    09-24-12 09:40 PM
    09-24-12 09:45 PM
    Whoa people maybe better off if we leave parenting advice out of the discussion.
    Definitely no needfor questioning other people's parenting styles
    Rickroller and diegonei like this.
    09-24-12 09:45 PM
    All I'm saying, netflix or a tablet or tv is NOT needed to entertain kids. I pride myself knowing that in this day and age I don't pass the buck on to something else to babysit my kid.

But again, to many stupid people think apps are needed because the world has a serious mental health issue called ADD aka Attention Deficit Disorder. You people need constant brain stimulation. Pick up a book, read, work out, be healthy (god knows I'm not anywhere to close to being healthy yet)

Apps only occupy our brain for a certain length of time.
    09-24-12 09:51 PM
    All I'm saying, netflix or a tablet or tv is NOT needed to entertain kids. I pride myself knowing that in this day and age I don't pass the buck on to something else to babysit my kid.

But again, to many stupid people think apps are needed because the world has a serious mental health issue called ADD aka Attention Deficit Disorder. You people need constant brain stimulation. Pick up a book, read, work out, be healthy (god knows I'm not anywhere to close to being healthy yet)

Its all good as long as we keep it to the topic your absolutely right about spending time with your kids and im sure your a great dad but you can't assume because the other guy uses netfilx to entertain his child that's all he does to interact with his child im sure he's a great dad to things got a little hot so move on to the topic.
    09-24-12 10:04 PM
    Sorry, won't be joining the blackout.. Canceled my account after the 2nd month. Service is rubbish and content was very disappointing.

I considered going back once. Lack of PB support stopped me.

Good luck tough...

What I would do if I were RIM is change the video store a bit... You can rent, you can buy, no strings attached, you pay for what you choose to pay... Or you can subscribe and stream away. $10/month.

Oh, and make the bloody thing work worldwide.
    Last edited by diegonei; 09-24-12 at 10:15 PM.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-24-12 10:12 PM
    QuIcKsIlV3r buddy, I hate to tell you, but you should leave your parenting skills/opinions to yourself! Who do you think you are to judge any parent like you did in your last 2 posts? I have 2 boys and I'll be dammed if ur gonna judge me because I let my boys watch tv or play with my PB because I'm doing something that requires me that I can't give them my full undivided attention, or that I just finished work and kinda spent and I don't have the energy to play with my boys....how dare you?!! Just stay on topic and keep your parenting opinions to yourself, M'kay? Thanks!
    mca312 likes this.
    09-24-12 10:13 PM
    I was going to comment on the fact that we may not need Netflix but it would certainly be something nice to have until the thread turned a little ugly.

I have 4 kids, and it is nice at times when I'm alone with them (which is most of the time) to be able to hand them each their Playbooks and send them off to watch a TV show while I make them dinner once in while, especially when they come home from school at the end of the week, are very tired and cranky and just need some brainless downtime.

Yes I do have movies loaded on, but it would be nice to have Netflix.

Not all of us are obviously enough of a hero to constantly entertain our children. Some of us here also know what it is like to juggle the demands of multiple kids and aren't about to slam others as lazy parents for actually needing a few minutes to get stuff done just because they think Netflix would be a good thing to have on a Playbook.
    Rickroller and esk369 like this.
    09-24-12 10:58 PM
    Ok I just want to apologize. Yes my son has down time while I'm making dinner or whatever, and he does watch some tv, but I don't make the tv or the playbook a babysitter. Maybe about 30min of tv, and I do have educational apps on my playbook for him. But I don't let him have it when we're out at say a dr's office or whatever. I talk to him, I interact with him.

That's how I was brought up, you let them play with toys and talk to them and interact with them.

So I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I don't think giving a kid a tablet for tv/movies is always the solution.

As far as Netflix is concerned though, they've already stated they aren't making an app, so a so called boycott isn't going to change anything.

There was a febile attempt to spam skype and netflix and it didn't get anywhere, except that skype is slated to be on BB10 and integrated into the contacts app and video chat app.
    Rickroller and esk369 like this.
    09-25-12 06:08 AM
    You've got to be kidding. I'm not giving up my Netflix service just to show loyalty to my PlayBook or RIM. I come first - not a device or a corporation.
    NO DOUBT. RIM versus NETFLIX IS NOT MY CONCERN. NETFLIX, HULU PLUS, AND HBOGO ARE A MUST FOR AN AROUND THE COUNTRY TRAVELER, LIKE ME. PLUS, ANY VIDEO STREAMING ON THE GO IS BEST ON A LARGE SCREEN TABLET.

STILL, THE PLAYBOOK IS MY MOST USED TABLET...JUST NOT FOR VIDEO STREAMING ON THE ROAD.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-25-12 08:21 AM
    Why are people looking at Netflix as the only solution for streaming movies and catching up on tv shows. There are many viable options if you look around. I tried Netflix and found them limiting. I would recommend a search for streaming movies on a search engine. There are even apps in App World that can help you find content to view.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-25-12 09:17 AM
    NO DOUBT. RIM versus NETFLIX IS NOT MY CONCERN. NETFLIX, HULU PLUS, AND HBOGO ARE A MUST FOR AN AROUND THE COUNTRY TRAVELER, LIKE ME. PLUS, ANY VIDEO STREAMING ON THE GO IS BEST ON A LARGE SCREEN TABLET.

STILL, THE PLAYBOOK IS MY MOST USED TABLET...JUST NOT FOR VIDEO STREAMING ON THE ROAD.
    I had to turn down the volume on my hearing aids with all the yelling.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-25-12 09:18 AM
    Dumped Netflix a while back, when they tried charging me extra for internet viewing.
    09-25-12 09:21 AM

Anyone else reading what this guy just said? I'm not even going to get into the parental advice part. How do you associate people needing app with a mental health issue and calling them stupid? You even know what app is? app is just application. How can any computer/tablet/phone function without application? When you make a post on crackberry you are typing from your brain or something? you don't need an application to do that? Can we call you stupid and have ADD then because you needed an app to do that? Then you gave people advice to avoid app by reading and work out. I don't even know how you can correlate the two things together.

Your post made no sense.
    09-25-12 12:18 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD