View the attached CTV �We Believe Canada" 2012 Olympic commercial to see what CTV think of the BlackBerry PlayBook
    DAnklaud likes this.
    02-18-12 10:03 PM
    Ummmmm, huh?

I don't get it.
    02-18-12 10:09 PM
    when i saw tablets, i went looking for the playbooks, but i couldn't find any..
    02-18-12 10:14 PM
    We Believe Canada was set up to raise money for Canadian Olympic Athletes. They are running this commercial on the CTV stations throughout Canada. You would think they would use a great Canadian product but instead they flash iPads at least 5 times while passing the collection basket for Canadian Athletes. Meanwhile 12000 RIM employees are fighting to survive.
    DAnklaud and RicZoh like this.
    02-18-12 10:15 PM
    They dont care about the playbook?
    02-18-12 10:21 PM
    That was a minute I will never get back......
    02-18-12 10:25 PM
    Honestly dude I think you're being a little too sensitive and frankly are missing the point of the commercial. Yes, RIM needs to ramp up their marketing efforts in a big way but this isn't it, nor does every commercial with Canadian content have to feature all-Canadian products.
    rjedge54 and Bla1ze like this.
    02-18-12 10:45 PM
    Honestly dude I think you're being a little too sensitive and frankly are missing the point of the commercial. Yes, RIM needs to ramp up their marketing efforts in a big way but this isn't it, nor does every commercial with Canadian content have to feature all-Canadian products.
    Especially considering most of the places where tablets were shown, wasn't even Canada lol.
    02-18-12 11:06 PM
    We Believe Canada was set up to raise money for Canadian Olympic Athletes. They are running this commercial on the CTV stations throughout Canada. You would think they would use a great Canadian product but instead they flash iPads at least 5 times while passing the collection basket for Canadian Athletes. Meanwhile 12000 RIM employees are fighting to survive.
    Little overdramatic, don't ya think? Last I checked RIM was still a profitable company and HIRING!
    thymaster likes this.
    02-18-12 11:09 PM
    Little overdramatic, don't ya think? Last I checked RIM was still a profitable company and HIRING!
    It's funny how no one ever mentions that RIM is profitable, and they have cash in the bank. There are many companies out there that wish they could have RIM's Balance Sheet!!
    thymaster likes this.
    02-18-12 11:20 PM
    Maybe this is a Playbook and the woman is just tiny?

Yes, I do know it's not a Playbook.
    02-19-12 07:36 AM
    Maybe this is a Playbook and the woman is just tiny?
    Click to view quoted image

Yes, I do know it's not a Playbook.
    It's the 10" 4G Playbook! =O
    02-19-12 07:51 AM
    For those who care it was a galaxy tab 10.1 witht he white background.
    Now I will say something that might be unpopular.
    I own 2 play books, an Android tablet and 1st gen iPad. My phone is android and has been iPhone. Never used a blackberry phone as I have always preferred a phone with a nice screen and I think until bb10 with new OS comes out, the current BB phones are inferior to the other types of smartphones except for secure or heavy messaging which is not my use case. BBm which is apparently amazing is starting to lose traction at my workplace where 2 staunch BB lovers have just switched to iPhones, something they always swore would never happen.

I have been using my playbook often and have not touched my android tablet since getting the pb 2 weeks ago. I do love a lot about it. The screen is incredibly bright, I think brightest in the industry at the moment so I can for see using this more outdoors possibly.
    I enjoy the form factor. I find using in landscape gives me a browsing experience size wise nearly on par with the iPad and obviously flash is great. The current bookmark implementation sucks however as there is no folder structure. The size makes it much more convenient to take with me. My other tablets never really left the house except on vacation...

But, I have to say that many people on this board are very defensive of criticism of the device. I think this is probably true of most forums etc. I think it is more so, because as PB owner you are in a minority for tablet owners and feel the need to justify your purchase decision instead of enjoying it.

I think if someone stepped back and took an objective view they would agree the device has it's flaws, and RIM has been woeful in it's first 10 months of marketing and producing software to make this the iPad killer it could have been.

QNX and the implementation in the playbook gives it the potential to be the most robust software platform of any tablet. RIM made 3 major tactical errors going against the iPad which has turned this into the bargain tablet it is now:

1) They rushed out a product before they were ready. Native E-mail, Calendar, Contacts is a must. Yes bridge exists, but it effectively limits your market to owners of BB phones. If apple did that at the beginning with the iPad, crippling it unless you had an iPhone, the iPad would not be the success it is today. This is especially true when you consider that as many people who were on BB started adopting other phones (android, iPhone) they had less reason to buy a PB.

2)Price. iPad was the defacto leader with a mature ecosystem for apps. It set the market price for a 9-10 inch tablet.... Sure the PB when it was released had better internals for camera etc., but it was a 7 inch tab and was a new entry in the market. Pricing it the same as the iPad led to people choosing the standard. Had they released it at 50-100$ cheaper/ model compared to similarly equipped iPad (16,32,64) some people would have adopted on the value alone. this is even more notable now when people started buying em in droves at the new lower prices (myself included who bought 2 when the price point made it too attractive in spite of it's lack of software at time of purchase).

3)Apps. It's all about the apps. I bought the original iPhone when it came out before it was released in Canada. It was ok but I wondered what all the fuss was about. There was no appstore at the time and so aside from the built in apps, the other apps available were web apps. Meh. Nothing special. It wa sonly once the appstore took off that the iPhone became such a dominant device. The PB at release was and is lacking certain apps that people would buy a tablet for. Sure not everyone feels the need to have netflix, Hulu, Skype, Kindle, sling player etc. on their tablet, however, many consumers if they are to buy a device (especially one that is pocketable ) want these features. They want a chic for where they are going to get their media content be it e-books movies, music streaming etc. Every android tablet and iPad can run kobo, kindle, B&N bookstores in addition to generic readers.
    They offer the ability to purchase navigation software that is robust with built in maps not requiring data to work making them also usable as car GPS. They can run a plethora of games and not just 1-2 dozen of the more popular ones. These tablets allow a consumer to do almost anything on them without having to figure out workarounds.....

I am glad that RIM has begun to address these issues. The price point has come down to levels making it attractive . I only worry this has happened too late. Next gen devices are on their way out. ASUS has a tegra 3 quad core 7 inch tablet on its way out with a higher res screen than the playbook, running latest android OS. It will retail for $249 out the door.

Os 2.0 should finally give non BB people the e-mail calendar contact apps they want. This will help retain customers and maybe get some more coming over. But, given how many have bought a different device so far, people might just decide to still wait to see what the new releases coming out this year will offer that might be a hardware upgrade to the current PB.

Android player and Rim's efforts to bring in more Devs will help get apps onto the PB. I fear though that the major one's will still not be on the platform without some workarounds via side loading and self converting app to bar files. This is not good for the casual user who wants to be able to just buy it and run it. The Android player should have been released separately many months ago as a stopgap to attrition to android tablets until the new OS release. And then, with 2.0 they should have made the player work under the hood so that for the end user running an android coded or BB coded app would look and feel the same with no separate android window leaving a seamless transparent conversion. Heck RIM could have had the slogan not only are we the most secure and affordable tablet, but we run all your favourite android apps as well, in fact better than android most tablets do!

So I will finish my diatribe here by saying, I hope the device and community thrive. I support it because I see th potential of this device. But, I worry that a year is a longtime in computer speak and that many potential buyers have moved on to the next thing........
    Angus_CB likes this.
    02-19-12 08:49 AM
    Some fair points in this discussion on all sides, but I understand where the original poster is coming from. Blackberry is one of the most recognized brands in the world, I'm not saying that, there have been studies that show that. Canada is a resource rich and heavily industrialized country. What ever its detractors may claim RIM is probably the leading electronics firm in the country, and proudly Canadian. How Canadian; Jim Basille tried to buy a NHL team for Hamilton! I think the Canadian Government, and our national media outlets should be doing a better job of supporting them. But thats just my opinion.
    RicZoh likes this.
    02-19-12 10:31 AM
    Agreed

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    02-19-12 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD