Is there a way to determine if a PlayBook is unlocked and not a carrier build?
    04-15-18 10:03 PM
    If you're talking SIM unlock for the LTE/HSPA+ version, see if there's anything in the SIM settings.

If you meant an OS version, I think it's a moot point in this half of the decade. It should be on 2.1.0.1917 anyway, and if not, there are autoloaders.
    04-15-18 10:11 PM
    If you're talking SIM unlock for the LTE/HSPA+ version, see if there's anything in the SIM settings.

If you meant an OS version, I think it's a moot point in this half of the decade. It should be on 2.1.0.1917 anyway, and if not, there are autoloaders.
    I'm talking to a seller with a new unopened 64gb which is all I know and they are going to send me box info, which I hope could tell me if it's one the newer or second variant, all I care about is if it the newest variant. If I bought it would it still connect to bb to update to the last os version or is it like you said I'd have to find and use an autoloader? Primarily I want it for playing music and reading downloaded Epub files of books. I'm not really sure if it can download and install Diaspora android app, I thought native android can run on playbooks.
    04-15-18 10:34 PM
    I'm talking to a seller with a new unopened 64gb which is all I know and they are going to send me box info, which I hope could tell me if it's one the newer or second variant, all I care about is if it the newest variant. If I bought it would it still connect to bb to update to the last os version or is it like you said I'd have to find and use an autoloader? Primarily I want it for playing music and reading downloaded Epub files of books. I'm not really sure if it can download and install Diaspora android app, I thought native android can run on playbooks.
    The PlayBook has an Android runtime of like Gingerbread 2.3 from a million years ago, it's so old that you would still need to package the APK as a bar file to install it with a computer. As for "newest variant", as far as I remember there only ever was the one 64GB option, which was WiFi only. Since it's never going to get updated you're better off running the autoloader once instead of trying to get BlackBerry Desktop Manager (too old for Link) up and running.
    04-16-18 10:24 AM
    The PlayBook has an Android runtime of like Gingerbread 2.3 from a million years ago, it's so old that you would still need to package the APK as a bar file to install it with a computer. As for "newest variant", as far as I remember there only ever was the one 64GB option, which was WiFi only. Since it's never going to get updated you're better off running the autoloader once instead of trying to get BlackBerry Desktop Manager (too old for Link) up and running.
    There was a later variant made for the Candian market with a 1.5 processor and carrier sold with a sim according to Wikipedia about Playbook, so it would be nice to find a Canadian Playbook with the faster processor, WiFi and sim capable to works on TMobile here in USA. and as mentioned in OP it will used mainly as a fancy book reader and the speakers on the Playbook I used to have were outstanding. But your correct the sim capable seemed only made with 32GB, not 64GB

Quoted from Wikipedia
    "The first PlayBook was a 7 in (180 mm) tablet with Wi-Fi connectivity and a dual core, 1 GHz Texas Instruments OMAP 4430 processor. Customers could purchase the WiFi PlayBook in 16 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB storage configurations.

In June 2012, the 16 GB model was discontinued, however the 32 and 64 GB Wi-Fi versions remained for sale.[33]

In August 2012, the PlayBook 4G LTE was released in Canada. It featured a dual-core 1.5 GHZ processor, 4G LTE and UMTS/HSPA+ cellular connectivity, and an NFC chip. Unlike the earlier PlayBook model, the PlayBook 4G LTE was only sold through carrier channels.[34] In November 2012, another variant of the 1.5 GHZ PlayBook, the PlayBook 3G+, was released in the UK.[35] Unlike the Wi-Fi models, the 4G LTE and 3G+ models are not available in 16 GB or 64 GB versions."
    04-16-18 05:04 PM
    I have a couple LTE Playbooks. I just security wiped one my son hasn't used in a couple years and it had no problems connecting to the BlackBerry servers to set it up under my BlackBerryID.

The LTE could be a little finicky after a security wipe sometimes, but I didn't notice anything this time. In the past you might have had to put a SIM in it to make it to the setup or use the autoloader for the LTE Playboolk. The SIM didn't need to be active. It may have been using the radio to figure out which country it was in for the Terms of Service. This may only be a problem with LTE Playbooks that have not previously been activated and are on old software. Thurask has the proper autoloader in his archives.

I also notice that you will not find an IMEI on the retail Box or PlayBook itself. The IMEI only shows up in settings when there is a SIM in it. There was a post a while back where somebody was trying to activate a PlayBook on cellular. The carrier was asking for the IMEI and he couldn't find it. You must have the SIM in to see the IMEI.
    EndRacism likes this.
    04-17-18 11:09 AM
    I also notice that you will not find an IMEI on the retail Box or PlayBook itself. The IMEI only shows up in settings when there is a SIM in it. There was a post a while back where somebody was trying to activate a PlayBook on cellular. The carrier was asking for the IMEI and he couldn't find it. You must have the SIM in to see the IMEI.
    I think it's on the device, under the little plastic SIM tray.

is way to tell if unlocked and not carrier-imeipb4g.png
    04-17-18 11:26 AM
    The Playbook is as heavy as a brick by today's standards of e-readers. There are all kinds of Kindle Fire tablets between 50 and $100.
    04-17-18 11:54 AM
    (too old for Link)
    Actually, my old PlayBook works fine with Link (on Windows 10) but no guarantees, for sure.
    04-17-18 12:04 PM
    The Playbook is as heavy as a brick by today's standards of e-readers. There are all kinds of Kindle Fire tablets between 50 and $100.
    ^^^^^This. . . . too heavy.
    04-17-18 12:04 PM
    I have a couple LTE Playbooks. I just security wiped one my son hasn't used in a couple years and it had no problems connecting to the BlackBerry servers to set it up under my BlackBerryID.

The LTE could be a little finicky after a security wipe sometimes, but I didn't notice anything this time. In the past you might have had to put a SIM in it to make it to the setup or use the autoloader for the LTE Playboolk. The SIM didn't need to be active. It may have been using the radio to figure out which country it was in for the Terms of Service. This may only be a problem with LTE Playbooks that have not previously been activated and are on old software. Thurask has the proper autoloader in his archives.

Do you have one you'd like to sell? PM me if so!
    04-17-18 02:36 PM
    I got a new PlayBook 3g off ebay last week. It connected fine to BlackBerry servers to get the last update and to register it on my ID. Battery took a while to wake up as it must have totally discharged.
    04-17-18 04:36 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imeipb4g.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	435657
    04-18-18 09:53 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imeipb4g.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	435657
    thurask:

You are correct on the IMEI location. It is there on one of my LTE, not the second. The second was bought when BlackBerry cleared out the LTE at blowout prices, selling them with the Sim tray super glued shut. The spot where the IMEI sticker is, does not have a sticker and was where the dab of glue was.

Perhaps the LTE that were not officially distributed to a carrier didn't get the IMEI sticker. May have been what the guy from India ran into when looking for the IMEI. Anyway, if there is no IMEI sticker, the IMEI only shows up in the About screens when there is a SIM in the PlayBook.
    04-19-18 09:19 PM
    Do you have one you'd like to sell? PM me if so!
    If you were in Canada I might consider selling one. Shipping to the USA or elsewhere would cost too much and the customs paperwork can be a hassle.

In actual use, there is little difference between LTE and the wifi PlayBook. The faster processor doesn't really seem to make anything work any quicker. The Wifi has the better screen, with the LTE screen a little lower in contrast.
    04-19-18 09:24 PM
    If you were in Canada I might consider selling one. Shipping to the USA or elsewhere would cost too much and the customs paperwork can be a hassle.

In actual use, there is little difference between LTE and the wifi PlayBook. The faster processor doesn't really seem to make anything work any quicker. The Wifi has the better screen, with the LTE screen a little lower in contrast.
    Speed was what I'd hope to see an improvement on, especially with the browser. You lacked onto my main hope for speedier. Thanks!!
    04-20-18 07:01 AM
    Speed was what I'd hope to see an improvement on, especially with the browser. You lacked onto my main hope for speedier. Thanks!!
    The browser slowness is all the scripting on modern web sites. Its more of a software problem not hardware. If you can find a cheap wifi PlayBook locally, it may be your best option if you want to try the PlayBook.

On a side note, I have been trying to convert to an iPhone from my Passport and had made the assumption the iPhone would be better with web sites that gave problems on the BlackBerry. The iPhone doesn't seem to be any better. Now I know why they try to push you to use the Apps instead. I am talking main stream web sites, which you think would have it working for an iPhone by now, but it looks like their approach is " We have an App, Use it instead".
    04-20-18 09:48 AM